Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:58 AM

362 posts, read 497,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
All solid choices. But I'd skip Glendale (despite it being a nice area) due to lack of Subway access, you'd be using your car a lot.
Understood - it would be more like the west side of Glendale, close to Ridgewood and Bushwick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I recommended the OP search west of 65th st in Glendale where you can walk to the L at Halsey and the M at Fresh Pond.
^^^^This!

Old 08-16-2017, 12:05 PM

782 posts, read 858,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
I would recommend Astoria, by Ditmars if you insist on keeping the car. Parking won't be easy, but it will be doable. Especially if you find a place East of 31st St and close to 20 Ave. I think people over exaggerate the Alternate Side parking. Each side of the street isn't cleaned more than twice a week. You won't be moving your car everyday. Or maybe because I grew up here, I don't find it the nightmare people make it out to be.
It's definitely far from a nightmare. More like a mild inconvenience that maybe, on a particularly bad day, can be frustrating. You just need to find a metered spot for a few hours or wake up early/move the car before work twice a week basically. I'm in Astoria weekly for work reasons and parking is manageable. Same situation where I live (Bay ridge), which is also often called a parking nightmare...I never have real issues.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:41 PM

I always liked Astoria. But it's another one of those places that you'll get conflicting info on.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,500 times
Just pay a garage and spare yourself the headache.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Ditch the car. I keep a car in the city, and pay just over $300 for a garage (which is astoundingly cheap) I need it and like having it. But unless you REALLY need it for work, get rid of it. It's going to blow your budget.

Once over that hump, the Upper East Side of Manhattan would work. My GF rents a studio for $1700-ish. And you can be to the Union Square subway station in 15-20 minutes. It's not the trendiest neighborhood, but there's still a lot to do. If you want more nightlife, it's the same 15-20 minute subway ride way. It's not a bad thing to NOT live in a roaring nightlife neighborhood. Ask Lower East side Residents how the nightlife effects their ability to sleep. And it's also very residentially functional. Lots of normal shopping, everyday restaurants, parks and such.
I definitely don't need to live in a roaring nightlife neighborhood. If I have decent access to nightlife without living where the nightlife is, that would be perfect!

Old 08-21-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
You mentioned you posted in the NJ forum, so I assume you are considering Jersey City, etc. The PATH train to 14th Street would be quite convenient, and pricing/parking perhaps more to your liking.
Jersey City, Union City, Weehawken, North Bergen, and West New York are all in play. Outside possibilities include Montclair, Bloomfield, Verona, & South Orange.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:11 PM

This is how things look right now in terms of neighborhoods in play:

Brooklyn (if I decide to look there): Sunset Park, Bushwick, and East Williamsburg
Queens (definitely in the running): Ridgewood, Glendale, Astoria, Ditmars Steinway, Sunnyside, Woodside, Elmhurst, and Forest Hills
Queens (on the outside looking in): Middle Village, Maspeth, Woodhaven, Kew Gardens, Jackson Heights, and Long Island City

Old 09-05-2017, 02:55 PM

UPDATE: A job offer will be made once the references check out. It's either gonna be Queens or New Jersey at this point. Finalist neighborhoods go like this as of now:

Queens: Ridgewood, Glendale, Middle Village, Maspeth, Elmhurst, Woodside, Sunnyside, and Astoria
New Jersey: Jersey City, Union City, Weehawken, North Bergen, West New York, Montclair, Bloomfield, and Glen Ridge

Thank you to everybody that threw in their $.02 that helped.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:04 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times
Good luck! Just re-read this thread. I'm a female, late 30's, single, and enjoy living in Astoria. I no longer want roaring nightlife, but I enjoy having restaurants and bars to walk to, even if I rarely take advantage of that. My commute to work is very manageable...if you're working in Union Square, it'd be about 35 minutes from the last stop on the N/W to Union Square station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City