Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:59 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times

Advertisements

Have noticed for much of this so called summer that the sidewalks and streets on UES and elsewhere in Manhattan are full of those giant roaches/water/palmetto bugs. The things are huge and seem to be every where! It is like being in Florida!

We were walking down 76th towards Second on Saturday night and the block was crawling with these roaches. We got to one building and they were marching out of a ventilation grate in front of an apartment building like soldiers in Napoleon's army. There was a girl walking a bit behind us and when she reached that building we heard screams! Turned around and she's jumping around trying to avoid the bugs, then they started to fly! *LOL* Sadly for her she lived in the building where sidewalk was infested, all she could do was bolt for the front door, but the doorman had it locked, so she had to wait there (with all those roaches flying/crawling around) until he came to unlock and open the door.

Thank god haven't seen any indoors! Our building normally starts getting a few coming up from the cellars once damp/humid weather stays around for several days. Guess exterminator has been working overtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 06:08 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,854,765 times
that is funny you say this. I have noticed more on the street (dead usually always) in lower manhattan where I work. I haven't noticed any in my apartment, thank god. We had an infestation a few months ago because of construction in an apartment I believe, but they all seem to be gone now with proper care and making sure to let the exterminator in every month.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Every summer you see these roaches outside. For obvious reasons bugs are active in the summer.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:21 PM

Well I've seen a lot MORE (never saw them before on the street really) this past summer. I think that's what the OP was talking about. Honestly, until this summer I've never seen a cockroach outside.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:34 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Yeah there usually seems to be an uptick of these bugs in the late summer early fall months. Personally their smaller cousins bother me way more. Although the sight of a water bug flying around is definitely cringe worthy.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:28 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Take solace in the fact that if you see waterbugs in your building, they are just exploring. They don't infest (go through a whole life cycle and reproduce inside. Unless you have a serious water leak in the walls, anyway. They live in hot steamy areas underground with constant water.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
When dealing with some old people every summer is the worst summer ever in terms of bugs/heat. It's old lady/drama queen talk.

It happens every summer because that is the cycle of life and this isn't the hottest or the most humid NY summer. But menopause can make it seem hotter than it is.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:04 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Seen the least bugs this Summer actually. Not looking forward to Fall, where cooler air brings C.H.U.D.s up to the surface at dusk. They are a lot harder to deal with. :-D

Old 08-16-2017, 06:34 PM

quote:
It's old lady/drama queen talk.

Could you be anymore of a turd? Seriously. Sorry that is a direct attack and i'll probably get an infraction... old lady / drama queen talk? Hello ageist and genderist all in one sentence there so I am okay in thinking you are a turd.

and to the poster who said the little ones are worse. yeeah they creep me out way more, the german ones are naaaaaasty

Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
There are so many of them but I find this to be pretty regular around this time of the year.

Lots of people by me have these decently-sized front lawns and small holes for drainage when they're somewhat elevated and sometimes there are piles of bugs crawling out of there. Blech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City