Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it correct to FIRE him?
Yes 38 88.37%
No 3 6.98%
Not sure 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:13 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,196,512 times

Advertisements

Crooked Cop, weep what you sow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:25 AM

783 posts, read 572,505 times
Yes he should be fired. I have zero sympathy for people who agree to be put in a position of authority and trust and then intentionally violate that authority and trust. So what if it was 'just $20'. Who knows who, in a real setting, that $20 may have belonged to? Who knows how hard that person may have worked to earn that 'just $20'?

No, let him go find a job where everyday citizens aren't subjected to his greed and corruption.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,080,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
this is true, but how many times has the NYPD gotten away with worse crimes? The guy who shot Ramaly Graham in his own bathroom after chasing him into his home without a warrant (which is illegal and not proper protocol) got off clean. I would be pissed if I was this guy for stealing $20 and he gets sacked. I want to know what his argument is, but I bet it will be, these guys did worse things and are still on the job.
There are bad NYPD who have gotten away with worse but this guy is still a bad apple and needs to go. Maybe this is the start of a cleanup in the department.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:44 AM

954 posts, read 933,281 times
As a black man I'm sure if I got caught stealing $20, the NYPD would just let me off with a warning and a promise not to do it again.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:06 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,030,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm a cop. I know.

People who are fired after 20 get to keep their pension, not prior. And that only for non-felonies and non-job related. Think DWI, misdemeanor domestic etc.

Like I said earlier, you are confusing people who are allowed to vest out with those who are outright fired. The commissioner could allow this cop to vest. He would then receive his pension in a few months when his 20th anniversary rolls around. If he is fired, there is no pension at all as he is short of 20 years and being fired for an on duty incident.
Thanks for the clarification. Do you think before the departmental trial they offered to let him resign rather than be fired if found guilty?

Old 08-20-2017, 12:19 PM

15,514 posts, read 15,496,294 times
The wrong cops always seem to get punished, and the ones who deserve to have the book thrown at them walk.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:40 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,114,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Seems a little bit extreme to me. What do y'all think?
Lets see firing a Law Enforcement Office for being a thief - too extreme? Let me think about that...

No. it's not.

Should LEOs be saints no, but as close as possible would be nice. If someone will steal $20. because he has the "opportunity," there is no telling what else he might do - given that same opportunity. That is not what a LEO agency should aspire to.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:51 PM

6,669 posts, read 5,957,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Almost 20 years on the force. Are we to assume this is the first time he stole money? No way. Maybe he was suspected and that's why they ran a sting on him. A cop who thinks nothing of stealing money from suspects probably is dishonest in other aspects of his job.
Well said. Where exactly is the argument here? This is a corrupt cop. The amount of money and his length of service are besides the point. It's the principle. He stole and that makes him not only dishonest but a thief. Law enforcement has no place for people like him (although I'm sure there are many like him however that's why the city created the Internal Affairs Department).

Old 08-20-2017, 12:56 PM

18,894 posts, read 13,784,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Do you think before the departmental trial they offered to let him resign rather than be fired if found guilty?
Stealing, even off duty, almost always results in firing. DWI is more forgiveable. Theft shows a complete lack of integrity and trust.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:05 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,011,170 times
Of course people in jobs should be fired for stealing while on the job. How is this even in dispute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: