Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times

Advertisements

I don't think Starbucks and Whole Foods (not sure about Home Depot) have "quotas" whatever you mean by that... but if what you just said...
"She laughed and said they only hire young girls and Bangladeshi because the owners are Bangladeshi" do it again and try and record it and get that exposed.

OMG now we have posters in this thread saying that the gays and lesbians are getting all the jobs! :/ There's a LOT of truth with what the OP is saying, but at the same time, there's a ton of hyperbole about if you are getting turned down for getting a job at Starbucks or Whole Foods. Do you wear deodorant? Do you have all your teeth? I'm not being mean, just asking. I'm shut out of a lot of these part time jobs cuz of a hearing issue I have so my beef isn't what you are going through. Sorry to hear you are going through this, but I do not believe for one second places like Starbucks and McDonald's are discriminating against people of legal status versus non legal status... However, many small businesses in the restaurant industry CERTAINLY do and they should be called out on it. If anything it just creates more competition at legal Starbucks-like jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 08:23 PM

Although imagine going out to eat at a Bangledeshi restaurant and all your servers, front line people, cooks, and wait staff are Becky's?! :/ Might as well just stay in Ohio lol. Cuz that's not the real deal cultural experience. I say this half sarcastically. I haven't eaten out at a restaurant in NYC in like over 5 years. I can't afford to. Okay, I had some Chili at Wendy's a few weeks ago. Everyone working there looked American to me!? And it was depressing AF.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
I know of some young illegal Europeans (Germans, French) who actually make a good $500 a day just by virtue of speaking their respective language at their European restaurants. These people have come in on a tourist visa and have overstayed.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I don't think the large chain stores like Starbucks or Jamba Juice are going to be breaking the law & hire illegals. Many of the smallest ethnic places probably use family. Concentrate on the larger chains in the area. I get sick of people blaming immigrants for every little thing.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:28 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Have you ever consider it may be how you present yourself, from your looks, to your attitude, to a not great resume.
If you have applied to a 100 places and nobody is hiring you, it may be you?

Old 08-21-2017, 09:14 PM

343 posts, read 254,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I don't think Starbucks and Whole Foods (not sure about Home Depot) have "quotas" whatever you mean by that... but if what you just said...
"She laughed and said they only hire young girls and Bangladeshi because the owners are Bangladeshi" do it again and try and record it and get that exposed.

OMG now we have posters in this thread saying that the gays and lesbians are getting all the jobs! :/ There's a LOT of truth with what the OP is saying, but at the same time, there's a ton of hyperbole about if you are getting turned down for getting a job at Starbucks or Whole Foods. Do you wear deodorant? Do you have all your teeth? I'm not being mean, just asking. I'm shut out of a lot of these part time jobs cuz of a hearing issue I have so my beef isn't what you are going through. Sorry to hear you are going through this, but I do not believe for one second places like Starbucks and McDonald's are discriminating against people of legal status versus non legal status... However, many small businesses in the restaurant industry CERTAINLY do and they should be called out on it. If anything it just creates more competition at legal Starbucks-like jobs.
I am a straight male. No I do not wear deodorant, I use all natural soap and baking soda. Yes I have all my teeth. Im a great employee. I am presentable with a polished appearance. I graduated from U of Hawai'i but do not have that on my restaurant resume. Of course I am frustrated some days because this is insane.

Even if I had some drastic personality flaw disqualifying me, I mean, are all people who work low wage jobs somehow perfection? Because I get awful and depressing service all the time in manhattan. I am trained in customer service and enjoy interacting with people, but many people they hire hate it.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:16 PM

quote:
No I do not wear deodorant, I use all natural soap and baking soda.

/end of thread

dude, it's August. in NYC

Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 PM

has nothing to do with ANYTHING ELSE YOU SAID!

you STINK!

Old 08-21-2017, 09:22 PM

343 posts, read 254,557 times
Aquarius do not derail my topic. Read about how baking soda is the best deodorant. I have fine hygiene.

If anyone has any constructive advice for finding good employers in NYC please reply.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:06 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I don't think the large chain stores like Starbucks or Jamba Juice are going to be breaking the law & hire illegals. Many of the smallest ethnic places probably use family. Concentrate on the larger chains in the area. I get sick of people blaming immigrants for every little thing.
That's all this guy does. If you cannot get a retail or a job in the food service industry in NYC, something is definitely wrong with you. My uncle could use a dishwasher at his restaurant in Bedstuy but FS22 attitude sucks big time.

Schlep it back to Hawaii because NYC isn't for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City