Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 PM

343 posts, read 254,492 times

Advertisements

I have been seeking additional employment for several months and have applied at wide array of business' in manhattan. I would like to work at a cafe or a bakery a pizzeria or a restaurant. Something along those lines. Nobody is hiring me and I think something is strange about it.

Yes I do have some experience. My resume is fine. I am confident walking into places with my resume smiling and finding a hiring manager to speak with. I follow up. I am well groomed. I research each place. Really putting significant effort into this. Would be nice to just cut to the chase and be told who exactly will hire me.

Yeah I notice the majority of workers may or may not be legal citizens. For whatever reason I do not care but it could ultimately be the soul reason I have no chance getting hired. And I would like to know of places in manhattan that hire legit US citizens. I need a job and something is definately fishy at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 07:16 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Honest question, why are you making such a huge sacrifice to live in NYC when it's clear that there aren't factors keeping you there?

Old 08-21-2017, 07:24 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
S/he/xey COULD be malking the same sacrifices every other person who comes here makes?

Have you ACTUALLY applied to anywhere in the food service industry you think id discriminating against you? They probably don't want to pay the legal min wage (what is it 9 or 11 now? something like that?) but instead 5 and they WILL get people doing it for five, so you're probably at a disadvantage. I would love to wash dishes at night for minimum wage, as I too am in a desperate situation... but none of the places hiring actually PAY minimum wage. hmmmmmm

Old 08-21-2017, 07:27 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
You might be better off applying to Starbucks. People hate them, but at least they pay a fair minimum wage and sometimes above.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:44 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Welcome to the same situation half the rest of the country is in.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
S/he/xey COULD be malking the same sacrifices every other person who comes here makes?

Have you ACTUALLY applied to anywhere in the food service industry you think id discriminating against you? They probably don't want to pay the legal min wage (what is it 9 or 11 now? something like that?) but instead 5 and they WILL get people doing it for five, so you're probably at a disadvantage. I would love to wash dishes at night for minimum wage, as I too am in a desperate situation... but none of the places hiring actually PAY minimum wage. hmmmmmm
I would also jump at the opportunity to wash dishes for say $10 per hour sounds fair to me. I have asked quite a few hiring managers for dishwasher jobs and got nothing yet. I have physically walked into tons of cafes, restaurants and salad bars and spoken with managers and submitted resumes. Nothing yet.

One reason I posted this topic is because clearly something else is up. The people being hired are not putting in this much effort. I offer managers full availability. Nights weekends holidays. Still nothing.

One example: yesterday I walked into an casual and popular American burger joint in SoHo. I asked the young Asian girl at the counter if there were any employment opportunities. She said No. I asked why not. She laughed and said they only hire young girls and Bangladeshi because the owners are Bangladeshi. But that is their choice who they employ. Its just one of many examples that shut down US citizens.

Ive been all over manhattan doing this. So if anybody out there would commission me to continue seeking employment and reporting back to you what I observe, if it is of any value to contribute for research or anything, PM me. I need work.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:55 PM

783 posts, read 576,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
I have been seeking additional employment for several months and have applied at wide array of business' in manhattan. I would like to work at a cafe or a bakery a pizzeria or a restaurant. Something along those lines. Nobody is hiring me and I think something is strange about it.

Yes I do have some experience. My resume is fine. I am confident walking into places with my resume smiling and finding a hiring manager to speak with. I follow up. I am well groomed. I research each place. Really putting significant effort into this. Would be nice to just cut to the chase and be told who exactly will hire me.

Yeah I notice the majority of workers may or may not be legal citizens. For whatever reason I do not care but it could ultimately be the soul reason I have no chance getting hired. And I would like to know of places in manhattan that hire legit US citizens. I need a job and something is definately fishy at this point.
Haven't you heard the news, OP? You're a US Citizen, you don't want to do those jobs anyway.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
You might be better off applying to Starbucks. People hate them, but at least they pay a fair minimum wage and sometimes above.
Aquarius I have applied at Starbucks, Whole Foods, Home Depot, and tons of places. Ive interviewed with some of them but (it sounds crazy but) I suspect HR Departments have certain quotas of all kinds to be met. Like I am a technicality for meeting their quotas.

About starbucks, Id love working there. At this point Id love working at McDonalds. But all I see and know is manhattan and here they are clearly very selective about race and ethnicity and other things that baffle me. Again I would very much like working for these places.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Have you tried applying to higher end establishments? I see plenty of citizens working as servers and bartenders granted they are probably LGBT though.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:14 PM

954 posts, read 939,392 times
Thank u deblasio obama clinton!!1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City