Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:25 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Look at the shopping plazas in Charleston right by the Outerbridge Crossing. Almost just as big as the mall. A huge movie theater is going up there as we speak. Plus Hylan Blvd in the New Dorp/Oakwood area all the way north to the bridge pretty much: all shopping. That's like a 4 mile stretch. In New Dorp a new mall is about to break ground.
I noticed about New Dorp on Street Views. And its close to the SIR.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 10:30 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
That's the area I grew up in and I don't live far from it now. We used to walk or ride bikes to those stores and spend hours just messing around (we sure didn't have money to shop lol).

Old 08-25-2017, 10:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
just did a quick street view of Jersey Street, the problem is pretty obvious - it's basically wall to wall housing projects. There's even a permanent police surveillance tower in the middle of the road lol. The houses on the other blocks seem nice. Not sure what you can do to fix this problem, there's no short term solutions. Long term these people need education, job training, and opportunity
Sounds like hell. This guy has no radar.

If he is from a southern Italian city, he should have a radar even for countries foreign to him. I know I do when I am in Europe.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Sounds like hell. This guy has no radar.

If he is from a southern Italian city, he should have a radar even for countries foreign to him. I know I do when I am in Europe.
Or maybe he's from a hood area in Italy and wasn't stressed by walking around there. You can tell even if you're in another place how things change from good to bad. I don't really have experience with bad neighborhoods internationally, but I remember especially one time when I was in NW DC and there's a little hood area over there, the area changed super quick. Me and wifey walked through because we're used to the hood so it didnt bother us. Same thing in NYC - one block could be great, and the next block over is hell. Actually that's kind of how I live right now haha.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:09 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Bringing this back on home; NYPD has made an arrest!

"Henry Degroat, of New Brighton, allegedly fired a 9mm gun near Mahoney Playground at the intersection of Jersey Street and Crescent Avenue at about 1 p.m., and struck Marino Stocco, according to the complaint"

19 year old charged in shooting of Italian tourist | SILive.com

Teen Charged in Staten Island Shooting That Wounded Italian Tourist Sitting on Park Bench - NBC New York

We know that name; "Degroat", but cannot recall from where, am going to have to make some phone calls and or send a few emails.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:59 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
I lived on Daniel Low Terrace in Staten Island from 1952 to 1956, from the ages of 6 to 10. As kids we roamed the streets freely from morning to evening, to play at the ball field at Curtis High School or have crab apple fights in vacant lots or go to the Paramont movie theater, and nearby sweet shop, or ride our bikes on the promenade by the ferry terminal. But we stayed away from Jersey Street, even back then. The people who lived there were considered poor and lower class by our parents. Except sometimes on summer evenings a horse drawn hay wagon would sell rides to the kids and make a big loop down to Jersey Street and back.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
But we stayed away from Jersey Street, even back then. The people who lived there were considered poor and lower class by our parents.
Interesting. And this was in the 1950s.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I lived on Daniel Low Terrace in Staten Island from 1952 to 1956, from the ages of 6 to 10. As kids we roamed the streets freely from morning to evening, to play at the ball field at Curtis High School or have crab apple fights in vacant lots or go to the Paramont movie theater, and nearby sweet shop, or ride our bikes on the promenade by the ferry terminal. But we stayed away from Jersey Street, even back then. The people who lived there were considered poor and lower class by our parents. Except sometimes on summer evenings a horse drawn hay wagon would sell rides to the kids and make a big loop down to Jersey Street and back.

DLT down by Fort Place is such a nice area. However just a few blocks up going towards Tompkins and it is like another world. Shame as there are some nice old houses/properties up there, people just don't keep them up.

Good to see your generation like mine could (and did) ride bikes everywhere as kids. Think by the 1990's or so that began to change. Certainly with the traffic today don't think many parents let their kids out of the street/area.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:00 PM

Tidbit:

Both Paul Newman and Martin Sheen once lived on Daniel Low Terrace. Sheen's son, Emilio Estevez was born there as well.

Cool Spaces: Staten Island's Ambassador Arms, an Art Deco classic with star-studded history | SILive.com

For those who have never been on SI, and want a good walk; take the ferry over and explore Daniel Low Terrace, Fort Hill and a bit of Saint George. Just stay away from Jersey Street! *LOL*

http://forgotten-ny.com/2009/02/st-g...staten-island/

Old 08-25-2017, 08:17 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
SI is unique in that sense. Without St. George, then what. Plus with the mall, Staten Island really doesn't have a shopping district like the other boroughs.

That is about to change..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City