Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:58 PM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Beauty is skin deep. Chicago lacks substance and really just sucks at the end of the day. Those alleys? I've been jumped from people hiding out in them. I'm happy to not have any. Dirt is better than lack of safety. It's a pretty generic city as well nowadays. The murder rate is real, you still don't go on certain subway lines at night if you know what's good for you. I had to yell at my mother about not leaving stuff in her car and knowing, or at least looking like she knew where she was going when I had to go to Thanksgiving in Englewood last year. Also, the winter... averages are one thing, real feel is another... IL is also seemingly going bankrupt with massive corruption after massive corruption constantly, I'd rather not support a failure of an economy. Growing up there, there was a bit of depressiveness from everything around you and what was good lasted until you heard the murder count for the day.

LA is pretty, but it's just not styled as a city as I'd like. Tokyo felt like LA layout with NYC dynamics (multiple hubs but amazing transit). Maybe if it was like that I'd like it, but I also hate the heat (LA is too hot for me year round), the culture (West Coast in general, but definitely not a SoCal guy), and the lack of transit (it's pitiful, I refuse to own a car again).
Chicago lacking substance? In what way are you quantifying substance?

Sure, there are alleys throughout the city in good and bad neighborhoods, and they are sketchy in the bad neighborhoods. However, you don't have to go in those neighborhoods. Chicago's making a substantive inner change right now where the population numbers seemingly remain about static (which is a far cry from when the city was losing people overall in large numbers), but there's been a giant socioeconomic shift where a lot of working professionals have moved in while others have moved out. The median income of the city is rising as is its tax base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:22 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
What is the deal with NYC and trash bags on the street? Is there not enough room for dumpsters? No room for alleys? I know that it must seem normal for a native and "big city" for a transplant, but for me it's kinda third world.
Yep, not enough room for dumpsters, nor enough room for the dump trucks to maneuver around to get at the dumpster to pick it up.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Well duh, even the homeless would choose to live here over NYC.
LOLLLOOOOOLLL some people are just hilarious thinking NYC can even compare to LA.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:38 PM

47 posts, read 48,973 times
I had the good fortune to live in San Francisco in the late 70s and early 80's while I was on active duty in the Navy. I'm originally from NJ. San Francisco was the most fantastic place I have ever been, all things considered. Maybe the most undesirable aspect was the surprisingly uncomfortable Summer weather IN THE CITY! Other than that, it was safe, clean, friendly, artistic, classy, beautiful, with the best food selection I have ever seen anywhere. Additionally, it was heaven on Earth for a single "straight" man for obvious reasons. AND THEN......in the mid/late 80s I noticed that there were a lot more New Yorkers relocating there and they changed the whole aura of that great city.....FOR THE WORST. Horns started beeping in traffic along with plenty of "fingers". You could feel the overall friendliness deteriorating. Within 10 years it was very different, and not in a good way. The influx of that "New York attitude" spells disaster; the beginning of the end. Start looking for a new place to live.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:42 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
So many better places in Cali than LA, lol bad job new Yorkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City