Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:40 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am thinking that's the case. When celebrating the West Indian parade, does *not* officially include Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, etc.
Dominicans, Puerto Ricans and most Cubans have no interest in identifying with the rest of us Caribbean folks, so we do them a favor and exclude them. Haitians don't behave like that so they are included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westindianguy View Post
CaribNY, you angry because I pointed out that Guyanese are not Caribbean or West Indian??
Cannot help you with your ignorance. Puerto Ricans have NO WISH to identify with you no matter how much you beg them to. How many do you see on the Parkway?

Old 12-01-2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Puerto Rico does not need no offering from the Anglo Caribbean you numb nuts. .
As of now just about every single English speaking Caribbean country, inclusive of Guyana, offers better living conditions than does Puerto Rico. Clean water isn't a scarce commodity.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It's interesting that Colombia, percentage wise, is as black as the US, yet I've never met any Afro-Colombians. All have been either mestizo or white.
SSSSH. Colombians will tell you that all the blacks come from Panama and that Colombia is a white and mestizo country.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:20 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
SSSSH. Colombians will tell you that all the blacks come from Panama and that Colombia is a white and mestizo country.
Having been to Colombia, I've not met one Colombian who said this in the context of living in Colombia.

In the context of NYC, whatever many of the immigrants and first generation Americans say about their home countries cannot be taken seriously. You're speaking of people who may have been illiterate and dirt poor in their home nations, and who may have never left their village, town, or city more or less until they came to the US.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Having been to Colombia, I've not met one Colombian who said this in the context of living in Colombia.

Tell that to the Colombians who live in NYC. That is the secret that they don't want spread and you aren't helping them.

Whatever you might say about Colombians in NYC dirt poor or illiterate isn't one of them. Colombians in NYC are a mainly middle class group, radically different from Mexicans or Ecuadorians. I suspect they wish to protect their "middle class" image by trivializing the presence of blacks.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Tell that to the Colombians who live in NYC. That is the secret that they don't want spread and you aren't helping them.

Whatever you might say about Colombians in NYC dirt poor or illiterate isn't one of them. Colombians in NYC are a mainly middle class group, radically different from Mexicans or Ecuadorians. I suspect they wish to protect their "middle class" image by trivializing the presence of blacks.
Colombians in NYC often moved over in the 70s and 80s and are out of touch with current political happenings in Colombia. In short, they're not a source of reliable information on anything about Colombia. If you want to know what's currently going on in Colombia, either you read things written by Colombians living IN Colombia or you go there yourself.

I don't know why people even bother to repeat words from immigrants who haven't lived or in some cases been to a place in 40 years as representative of that country.

Would you use an American who hasn't been to NYC in 20 years as a reliable source of information about NYC? Would you use a New Yorker who retired to Florida as representative of all New Yorkers?

NYC is a bizarre place where people can't understand that their 10 friends of whatever nationality do not represent tens of millions of people in a country!

Old 12-03-2017, 06:18 AM

On another note, years ago an older British man was ranting about how terrible affirmative action was and how could the US have it. Several younger British tourists informed that that Britain instituted affirmative action. He was SHOCKED.

Similarly, I've heard both Brazilian and Colombian long term immigrants in NYC talks about affirmative action, and I've shown them online proof of affirmative action happening in both nations. They were shocked and had not kept up with policy and economic developments in their home nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City