Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:37 AM

387 posts, read 558,697 times

Advertisements

F**k it, I applied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 07:43 AM

882 posts, read 1,369,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslove View Post
F**k it, I applied.
lol me too! I fall into the 1 bedroom income bracket for the last 3 tiers so there's always hope!
Does anyone know how the economic situation is for Bronx community board 1? I'm wondering if many folks from that area qualify for this building.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:50 AM

532 posts, read 786,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoldby View Post
Most newly "hip" neighborhoods weren't sh*t back in the day. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture for developments like this (i.e., close proximity to Manhattan, multiple public transit options, building amenities).

I threw my hat into the ring for this building so fast! LOL I feel like this is the 1st building I have seen in the BX with awesome amenities for multiple middle income bands. Water views? Green roof? Dishwashers? Sign me up! LOL

Praying for a decently low log, I fall into the 100% AMI and 110% AMI bracket so I think my chances are good.
yeah i work in Manhattan
anything that's closer to it. i'm good
paying 1200 for all those amenities. Fk yeah

Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Quote:
Most newly "hip" neighborhoods weren't sh*t back in the day. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture for developments like this (i.e., close proximity to Manhattan, multiple public transit options, building amenities).

I threw my hat into the ring for this building so fast! LOL I feel like this is the 1st building I have seen in the BX with awesome amenities for multiple middle income bands. Water views? Green roof? Dishwashers? Sign me up! LOL

Praying for a decently low log, I fall into the 100% AMI and 110% AMI bracket so I think my chances are good.

This. Commute time is very important to me. I can wake up "late" and still make it to work on time I don't have to do bus to train or vice versa, and I only need one line. We all know Mott Haven ain't sh*t, it's been said time and time and time and time and again. But these are brand new buildings (some fairly large by NYC standards), some with great amenities, some with decent amenities, etc; but... it's brand new, and you don't have to worry about relying on roommates to make a living.

If you can afford to live in a nice neighborhood on your own, more power to you. Not everyone has that luxury. Mott Haven was never my first choice, but it is my first apartment, and I don't regret it because living by yourself is just too good to pass up. I love my friends and family, but I'd never want to live with any of them ever again! lol

I personally am waiting for 530 Exterior because apartment sizes are huge; averaging 900+ SQFT which would be nice, building amenities are perfect, and the proximity to the 2,4 and 5 train + steps away from Bronx Terminal Market is great. Looks like the "waterfront views" are only guaranteed for floors 4 and above for that one, though. Haha.

Good luck to everyone who applied. I know it's no condo on Park Avenue; but it's your chance to secure your own apartment. The 100% AMI is getting a big break here.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:00 AM

994 posts, read 1,056,821 times
I think I'll pass at that far in the Bronx, no offense,, have at it ya'll

Old 08-29-2017, 08:09 AM

127 posts, read 216,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
lol me too! I fall into the 1 bedroom income bracket for the last 3 tiers so there's always hope!
Does anyone know how the economic situation is for Bronx community board 1? I'm wondering if many folks from that area qualify for this building.
CB 1 is very low income, I believe the median income for that area hovers somewhere between $20K-$30K? According to this map (from 2012), median incomes in CB 1 & 2 was about $20,867:

https://project.wnyc.org/median-income-nabes/

Old 08-29-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
CB 1 is very low income, I believe the median income for that area hovers somewhere between $20K-$30K? According to this map (from 2012), median incomes in CB 1 & 2 was about $20,867:

https://project.wnyc.org/median-income-nabes/
Thanks for the link! the map is helpful. If this is the case, maybe the amount of applicants with CB preferences will be low allowing more units to be offered to those that qualify with no CB preference. I'll definitely keep an eye on how this lottery progresses! Good luck to everyone that applies!

Old 08-29-2017, 10:56 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
Thanks for the link! the map is helpful. If this is the case, maybe the amount of applicants with CB preferences will be low allowing more units to be offered to those that qualify with no CB preference. I'll definitely keep an eye on how this lottery progresses! Good luck to everyone that applies!
This is definitely the case.
Not many people qualify for any of the new developments coming up in Mott Haven.

I live in CB 1 and am at the higher half of the 60% AMI, almost reaching that nether region that is the 61%-79% AMI (no buildings have this bracket, and even if I eventually reach 80%, buildings barely have that, either, I was still called in for an interview with a CB preference log number of 37XXX. Seeing how CB is 50%, that means I qualified for about 18 units in total. That's it, just 18. (4 Studios / 14 one-bedrooms.)

Them not filling up 18 units with that amount of applicants before me really says a lot. And it's not just because of the location. My building had over 70,000 applicants and there were only 65 units in total to give away.

This means true competition is pretty much non-existent, which is better for me, because I get first pick when it comes to a better building in the area. *cough cough, 530 Exterior Street, cough cough*

For Mott Haven, the true competition is in the 40%-50% and below. I can tell you that much. If your log number is below 15,XXX with no preference, you still have a good shot. If anyone has been following the fiasco of the 605 West 42nd Street development would know that's literally the largest development (figuratively, and literally speaking) in affordable housing history. My log number was 12XXX and was still called, meaning they burned through community preferences, and burned through 12000 other people and still couldn't fill 235 spots. Higher log numbers (10,000-35,000) isn't an automatic "I'm not going to win." When you have numbers north of 40 grand with no preferences, then... I'd be a little concerned.

When you rule out everyone who doesn't actually read the ad (ie applying for a building they don't qualify for), having bed credit, too much debt, collections, etc... it just spins the odds in your favor ever so slightly.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:46 AM

532 posts, read 786,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Not many people qualify for any of the new developments coming up in Mott Haven.

I live in CB 1 and am at the higher half of the 60% AMI, almost reaching that nether region that is the 61%-79% AMI (no buildings have this bracket, and even if I eventually reach 80%, buildings barely have that, either, I was still called in for an interview with a CB preference log number of 37XXX. Seeing how CB is 50%, that means I qualified for about 18 units in total. That's it, just 18. (4 Studios / 14 one-bedrooms.)

Them not filling up 18 units with that amount of applicants before me really says a lot. And it's not just because of the location. My building had over 70,000 applicants and there were only 65 units in total to give away.

This means true competition is pretty much non-existent, which is better for me, because I get first pick when it comes to a better building in the area. *cough cough, 530 Exterior Street, cough cough*

For Mott Haven, the true competition is in the 40%-50% and below. I can tell you that much. If your log number is below 15,XXX with no preference, you still have a good shot. If anyone has been following the fiasco of the 605 West 42nd Street development would know that's literally the largest development (figuratively, and literally speaking) in affordable housing history. My log number was 12XXX and was still called, meaning they burned through community preferences, and burned through 12000 other people and still couldn't fill 235 spots. Higher log numbers (10,000-35,000) isn't an automatic "I'm not going to win." When you have numbers north of 40 grand with no preferences, then... I'd be a little concerned.

When you rule out everyone who doesn't actually read the ad (ie applying for a building they don't qualify for), having bed credit, too much debt, collections, etc... it just spins the odds in your favor ever so slightly.
yeah i kept hearing that about some bronx part which is good for us.
hence why my logs are very low for most of these bronx apartment

Old 08-29-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Not many people qualify for any of the new developments coming up in Mott Haven...

Right! And that's what I'm hoping will happen eventually in terms of them burning through applicants that don't qualify so that they can reach me. I honestly don't know which income bracket I'm in, it seems to vary. Some developments say 80% and some say 100% and my income will fall within both brackets. For this development I fall within the last 3 income tiers for a 1 bedroom so if I get a call for an interview I'd definitely qualify for something! Just wish they had more buildings like this, all the others I either make too much or don't make enough, le sigh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City