Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 06:54 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times

Advertisements

BTW, those people who are 65 and OMG 70 lived through the crap that you would never put up with with in your 2500 dollar studios. Show some respect, jeez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 06:55 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
No wonder no one on here is complaining. Most have stabilized apartments!!

Ive noticed this forum is a mecca for poor people. So perhaps you should think about mister moneybags? You're snobby in every thread you post in. I've noticed most people here are struggling.
Am not talking about those posting in housing lotteries. Those people aren't real contributors and just come here for the lotteries. Am talking about the regular folks that come here. They all either have rent regulated or controlled apartments or own. Would be nice to see more market-rate people posting here to see how they're holding up. As for you, don't you dare come for me because of your life failures. You have no one to blame but yourself for being 40 and living in a shared apartment. I'd be embarrassed. Where is your pride? You have no motivation whatsoever to better yourself and sit back and complain about others being stuck up because they work hard and are motivated. Am much younger than you and would work ten jobs if I had to to get ahead. Have never met a native New Yorker so non-motivated before. Am prideful, but have *earned* what I have and don't look to others for handouts, so for that will be snobby or whatever. You on the other hand have no will to get ahead. Waste of dead weight.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:08 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am not talking about those posting in housing lotteries. Those people aren't real contributors and just come here for the lotteries. Am talking about the regular folks that come here. They all either have rent regulated or controlled apartments or own. Would be nice to see more market-rate people posting here to see how they're holding up. As for you, don't you dare come for me because of your life failures. You have no one to blame but yourself for being 40 and living in a shared apartment. I'd be embarrassed. Where is your pride? You have no motivation whatsoever to better yourself and sit back and complain about others being stuck up because they work hard and are motivated. Am much younger than you and would work ten jobs if I had to to get ahead. Have never met a native New Yorker so non-motivated before. Am prideful, but have *earned* what I have and don't look to others for handouts, so for that will be snobby or whatever. You on the other hand have no will to get ahead. Waste of dead weight.
Majority of market-rate people that do post on here live deep in the outer boros, how much you wanna bet

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-01-2017, 07:25 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Majority of market-rate people that do post on here live deep in the outer boros, how much you wanna bet
Can't say since I don't know of any. Will wait and see if others post.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:58 PM

296 posts, read 481,320 times
Default lyla45

I have had lived in market rate studio/huge one/ for about 6 years in Bensonhurst. Rented it at 2011 for$ 925, with preferencial rent. In 2016 rent were $1025.The legal rent was $2680. Landlord never rase the rent to that point. It's was fully renovated studio, wooden floors, 3 huge windows at the very nice and convinient location. Near the train and buses and shopping. I never had a chance living at rent stabilized apartments for over 21 years living here. Finally, I won the lottery 1bd apartment at the very nice location. I played the lottery for over 9 years!

Old 09-01-2017, 09:22 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
The person I was replying to had a rent CONTROLLED apartment. That is like the golden ticket. Less than 1% of NYC apartments are RC and they can only be passed on to a family member. Stabilized apartments came after.
That was my mistake. My aunt is rent CONTROLLED. Her apartment is not renovated, but the building has had enough improvements (intercoms, new mailboxes, etc.) that they get that yearly increase and I paid less than she did when I was in M-L. She has SCRIE now and is still barely hanging on.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:27 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
None of us needed handouts early in life, either. Just wait till you pass that 40 and find out no one wants to give you 10 jobs, or any jobs, because they can get some stupid young kid with twice your energy to do it for half the cost. Some things you only learn by living long enough. I wish I could be there when you remember I told you that.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:42 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,584 times
Thanks guys for the great responses.

Another question, how did you find your rent stabilized apartment? People seem to think they are impossible to find. These days, maybe they are.

Me first: I was looking for a large, two bedroom within easy walking distance to a subway line that would get me to midtown quickly. I did not care about the neighborhood. I grew up in 1990s Washington, DC and I am a white guy. Nothing scares me. This was ten years ago, so I moved to Hamilton Heights. Gut renovated place with high end everything. I took it and the rest is history. It just happened to be RS. These days people would give their left arm to find such a place at such a price in this neighborhood.

But again, several years later we converted to a cooperative and I bought in, so I own the place now.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:47 AM

106,648 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Get a mortgage, you'll be stabilized for life and building equity.
we all bought 35k home's in the 1970's in suffolk . all have paid off mortgages by my friends that still have them .
their taxes are 12-15k a year so the fact a 30k mortgage is retired means zero in affordability . that mortgage payment would not represent their utility bill today .

sooooo never used the word stabilized with property ownership

Old 09-02-2017, 03:49 AM

106,648 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Thanks guys for the great responses.

Another question, how did you find your rent stabilized apartment? People seem to think they are impossible to find. These days, maybe they are.

Me first: I was looking for a large, two bedroom within easy walking distance to a subway line that would get me to midtown quickly. I did not care about the neighborhood. I grew up in 1990s Washington, DC and I am a white guy. Nothing scares me. This was ten years ago, so I moved to Hamilton Heights. Gut renovated place with high end everything. I took it and the rest is history. It just happened to be RS. These days people would give their left arm to find such a place at such a price in this neighborhood.

But again, several years later we converted to a cooperative and I bought in, so I own the place now.
decades ago if you did not want a private home snd small landlord to deal with it was your only choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery