Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 AM

106,242 posts, read 108,257,613 times

Advertisements

at the end of the day , we all want the best value for our hard earned dollars . we want the best products at the best price . no one wants to do without because goods may be more expensive and you can't afford them .
a company has to do what it has to do to survive , keep the employees working and growing that it has and in turn if the off shoring makes that company more competive and they grow that can create far more jobs than may be lost .

every situation is different . in our case outsourcing grew the company to a size never imagined . when i started with them 20 years ago there was 8 of us and the owner .

today it is 302 and the owner . there are also tens of millions of dollars in products we buy and services we use that has grown other business's as well . the chain goes on and on .

people like to talk in non specific terms about out sourcing without knowing any of the real details . it makes good political news but many times it does america more good like in our case .

when companies are strong , they grow , they employee more people and they support other business's they interface with . if you can't compete with your competitors who do things over seas than odds are what employees you still have will be history . if it wasn't for the fact we could be competitive again against our competition and win bids the company would have been a ghost .

are there exceptions ? , sure there are but i will never talk in general terms about things i don't have details in . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-04-2017 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-04-2017, 08:42 AM

12,751 posts, read 8,221,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
at the end of the day , we all want the best value for our hard earned dollars . we want the best products at the best price . no one wants to do without because goods may be more expensive and you can't afford them .
a company has to do what it has to do to survive , keep the employees working and growing that it has and in turn if the off shoring makes that company more competive and they grow that can create far more jobs than may be lost .

every situation is different . in our case outsourcing grew the company to a size never imagined . when i started with them 20 years ago there was 8 of us and the owner .

today it is 302 and the owner . there are also tens of millions of dollars in products we buy and services we use that has grown other business's as well . the chain goes on and on .

people like to talk in non specific terms about out sourcing without knowing any of the real details . it makes good political news but many times it does america more good like in our case .

when companies are strong , they grow , they employee more people and they support other business's they interface with . if you can't compete with your competitors who do things over seas than odds are what employees you still have will be history . if it wasn't for the fact we could be competitive again against our competition and win bids the company would have been a ghost .

are there exceptions ? , sure there are but i will never talk in general terms about things i don't have details in . .
Don't say *people*. I've been examining outsourcing for well over a decade and run a business myself. Can tell you companies that *want* to manufacture here find a way. Not always possible but again, cannot make a blanket statement and say it's impossible. Only true for *some* companies.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:01 AM

sometime it just is not worth it to "find a way " .

if things are working and your are successful , i believe in leave it alone .

different business's will find it easier or harder to do things here .

we reexamined things and we found it still was not worthwhile , but we did switch from china to mexico for the castings .

Old 09-04-2017, 09:14 AM

the fact the company i worked for is here , growing and thriving because we are as competitive as we need to be because margins have improved with out sourcing certain functions , this company below was preserved and it's employees have jobs .

these are things you don't see in the political news !

Auburn plant may close, causing over 100 layoffs - Story

Old 09-04-2017, 09:23 AM

33,886 posts, read 47,082,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
HAhAH AH
AhahaHah
hAHaHAHAHhaHAHA
HAhaHAhA
hAHAHAHAHHAHAAHhaHAH
hAhAHAHAHHAAHHH

maybe if they start making triple income households a thing.?

oh wait.
Thats already happening bro. 2 adults + grown adult child.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-04-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
sometime it just is not worth it to "find a way " .

if things are working and your are successful , i believe in leave it alone .

different business's will find it easier or harder to do things here .

we reexamined things and we found it still was not worthwhile , but we did switch from china to mexico for the castings .
Oh I know, which is why I support Trump imposing levies on companies to *nudge* them along to make it work *here*, not in Mexico and not in China. You lower regulations and get costs down and fewer companies can use that BS excuse. Some of these companies are just slaves to their shareholders. That has to change.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:55 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,746,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am in disagreement. Have been a protectionist going back to when Clinton was in office and he sold out America with NAFTA. When China sends their contaminated goods over and there's a recall, Americans want *Made in USA* products because we have better safety standards and *much* better quality. Only thing not made well here are cars, but can buy so many good things made here. Great food locally or from out in California. Bought a fantastic olive oil, GMO free from California. Some of the best I've had and have lived in Italy.

Soaps, food... Much of what you buy is made here, not unless you get the *knock-off* Chinese versions. If you're a true American, will support your country and follow Americans and buy American. The Chinese sure as hell don't give a damn about your, which is why they send over their tainted food and other things.
What is "Made in America?" Do you mean assembled in America? Do you mean products that are free of all imported materials, whose fabrication comply with US labor, environmental and other regulations? I know 95% of all clothing in the US is NOT made in America. Tesla is the only car that is 100% made in America.

There are plenty of American brands not made in the US.

Barbie, Fisher Price, Converse, Levis, Schwinn, Rawlings, Radio Flyer, GI Joe, Black and Decker, Craftsman, Ford, Chevrolet, American Girl, Gerber.

So I'd like to know, what is "Made in the USA."

The Myth of Being “Made in America” – Armour Magazine

Cars: See Which Car Companies Are the Most American | Time.com

Old 09-04-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that. We're talking about American companies *outsourcing* simply because they're too cheap to pay decent wages. How Americans can support such things astonishes me and yet people complain about the cost of living going up and the quality of living going down. When Americans want everything *cheap* at all costs, it shows a level of greed because ultimately it hurts *AMERICANS* when it happens. Maybe not you, but someone who depends on those jobs elsewhere. Don't have to buy everything American but at least become educated consumers on how things work. We as a nation cannot depend on foreign goods from everywhere and make nothing. It's simply unsustainable. When the Chinese are protectionists it's fine, but America can't do it. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

This is one reason Trump won. Americans are fed up with low wages and their jobs being shipped elsewhere. Time to bring the jobs back here and start making *more things here in America*. I don't live in China. Want goods from here locally.
When the middle class or poorer don't have money to spend, they do buy the cheapest they can afford. Isn't it a catch 22? If you don't pay enough for consumers to consume, then they won't. If they don't consume, they can't pay salaries to those who support the consumption. So it's a big circle.

What's left out of this equation is that productivity has increased to the nth degree. Someone is making money, it just isn't the people who are doing the hard work and increasing productivity.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You pointed to the biggest problem here... Too many regulations. Another good thing about Trump. No secret that he wants to cut back unnecessary regulations that drive up costs and make American companies less able to compete with others found in places like China. We have to do that to give American companies a fair playing field.
Regulations like labor standards, environmental standards, safety standards. Houston must be laughing if they aren't drowning.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
What is "Made in America?" Do you mean assembled in America? Do you mean products that are free of all imported materials, whose fabrication comply with US labor, environmental and other regulations? I know 95% of all clothing in the US is NOT made in America. Tesla is the only car that is 100% made in America.

There are plenty of American brands not made in the US.

Barbie, Fisher Price, Converse, Levis, Schwinn, Rawlings, Radio Flyer, GI Joe, Black and Decker, Craftsman, Ford, Chevrolet, American Girl, Gerber.

So I'd like to know, what is "Made in the USA."

The Myth of Being “Made in America” – Armour Magazine

Cars: See Which Car Companies Are the Most American | Time.com
That's correct. Very little clothing made here, which is why you have to shop online in most cases. For bags, I buy from a small American company in Seattle Washington. They do everything in house and it's 100% Made in USA. Tom Binh. More expensive than your usual bag, but the quality is unmatched. For t-shirts there are a few American companies. Same for pants but it has become more of a challenge, even at the high-end side of things. For belts, Allen Edmonds. Shoes I always buy *Made in Italy* or *Made in England*. Better quality and more comfortable. Sometimes Made in Spain or Portugal. The Europeans have very high quality standards. For other clothing, you have to shop online at small places, so things like socks, boxers are more expensive but still possible, which is what I do.

Some products simply can't be found here. Can't find a made in USA iron, so I buy the Rowenta *made in Germany* ones. Still better than supporting China. Basically things like clothing here has become a luxury and that shouldn't be. We live in America. We should be able to buy American goods. My stance hasn't changed in over a decade and mind you am not that old. When Clinton was in office, as a college student, noticed how many brands suddenly were no longer *Made in USA*, and upon returning from Europe where they *protect* various industries, realized we need the same thing here.

One reason I like places like Whole Foods, because they support local companies, which means plenty of *made in USA* options. Will be watching closely now that Amazon has taken over.

Quote:
When the middle class or poorer don't have money to spend, they do buy the cheapest they can afford. Isn't it a catch 22? If you don't pay enough for consumers to consume, then they won't. If they don't consume, they can't pay salaries to those who support the consumption. So it's a big circle.

What's left out of this equation is that productivity has increased to the nth degree. Someone is making money, it just isn't the people who are doing the hard work and increasing productivity.
Listen, the American consumer is partially to blame because of this obsession with *cheap* prices. We wanted cheap and we got cheap at the expense of *millions* of American jobs, and this BS about *re-training* workers also hasn't worked because you can't continue to outsource more and more jobs without replacing them. What they're being replaced with is low-end service jobs that pay peanuts, but no one is talking about that, and everything is business as usual. It's disgusting.

Quote:
Regulations like labor standards, environmental standards, safety standards. Houston must be laughing if they aren't drowning.
I think we need to calm down on over regulation. Our regulation standards are right up there with Europe. If anything we need more manufacturing to come back here, and slowly that's happening. You punish those companies that are selling out our country and impose hefty taxes for outsourcing and you see how many of them start coming back. It's out of control with shareholders coming first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City