Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 06:08 PM

8,911 posts, read 4,698,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yup, the OP's threads just keep getting better and better.
As well as redundant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 06:08 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,195,139 times
Cool. Keep us all updated with the day-by-day minutia of everything that dissatisfies you about life in NY.

You keep us keepin' on.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If you don't like it then don't buy it, that's all

People curse the Chinese restaurants out, and they're back there next week ordering pork fried rice

They got utility bills to pay, so somebody is keeping them in business, amirite?

Ironically these Chinese restaurants aren't part of some conspiracy to feed lower-income people subgrade food.

The novelty of the Chinese restaurant started after WWII, when most of the "hoods" that you have in NYC today were formerly Jewish (Grand Concourse, Flatbush/East Flatbush, Far Rockaway).

They catered to the Jewish because they don't follow Christian holidays and stayed open all the time pretty much. The Jews left, and the Chinese stayed in the hood. Thats why the menu is not traditionally Chinese, those menus were originally catered towards the Jewish. Trust me, if black people lived in these hoods 60-70 years ago, all you would see is Chinese soul food spots instead.

Just giving a bit of history.
Oh, I didn't know that. It makes sense. I was surprised when people told me you can even order fried chicken at a Chinese restaurant.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:17 PM

12,741 posts, read 8,174,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Oh, I didn't know that. It makes sense. I was surprised when people told me you can even order fried chicken at a Chinese restaurant.
*LOL* Where are you from that you didn't know this? It's Chinese-American food at best, in that it caters to the American palette.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
*LOL* Where are you from that you didn't know this? It's Chinese-American food at best, in that it caters to the American palette.
When I get a hankering for Chinese food, fried chicken is the last thing on my mind.
And when I get a hankering for fried chicken, getting it from a Chinese restaurant is the last thing on my mind.
So, nope. I did not know that you could order fried chicken at your local Chinese take out.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:31 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,616,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
When I get a hankering for Chinese food, fried chicken is the last thing on my mind.
And when I get a hankering for fried chicken, getting it from a Chinese restaurant is the last thing on my mind.
So, nope. I did not know that you could order fried chicken at your local Chinese take out.
Fried chicken is actually a huge Korean specialty, has been for at least a couple decades now

Old 09-05-2017, 09:50 PM

1,505 posts, read 996,353 times
The notorious cry baby OP has returned.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Fried chicken is actually a huge Korean specialty, has been for at least a couple decades now
Oh, I know about Korean style fried chicken but it's not a common dish that is readily available as a menu item in Korean restaurants. At least I don't think so. I maybe wrong. You usually have to go to a place that specializes only in fried chicken (Bonchon Chicken, Mad for Chicken, Kyedong Fried Chicken) if you want some. I have yet to hear about any Chinese style fried chicken taking off in popularity or being known as a specialty that people specifically seek out.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:57 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,391,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If you don't like it then don't buy it, that's all

People curse the Chinese restaurants out, and they're back there next week ordering pork fried rice

They got utility bills to pay, so somebody is keeping them in business, amirite?

Ironically these Chinese restaurants aren't part of some conspiracy to feed lower-income people subgrade food.

The novelty of the Chinese restaurant started after WWII, when most of the "hoods" that you have in NYC today were formerly Jewish (Grand Concourse, Flatbush/East Flatbush, Far Rockaway).

They catered to the Jewish because they don't follow Christian holidays and stayed open all the time pretty much. The Jews left, and the Chinese stayed in the hood. Thats why the menu is not traditionally Chinese, those menus were originally catered towards the Jewish. Trust me, if black people lived in these hoods 60-70 years ago, all you would see is Chinese soul food spots instead.

Just giving a bit of history.
The Chinese takeout places actually do have some black influence in my opinion, since they sell rib tips and fried chicken.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,391,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I wonder if those places have anything authentic on the menu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City