U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 04:13 PM

12,207 posts, read 6,898,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think the whole concept of Whole Foods in NYC is terrible because there are tons of Asian grocers around that offer much cheaper prices for produce and WF simply puts on a cleaner look while charging a premium for produce. You can't verify if WF really sells organic or not, unless I grow it myself. Many large asian grocers out class WF in terms of size and variety of produce.
Whole Foods' vendors can be found easily online. What you're saying is total BS. Many Asian vendors *don't* sell organic food, hello, and often times don't even get the food that they sell *locally*, but rather in Latin America or elsewhere. Should be a no-brainer that the food would be *much* cheaper. I don't buy *conventional* fruit, period, so am not sure why you're comparing conventional to organic. They are *not* the same and what dictates what is called *organic* according to the USDA is quite strict. People should educate themselves better instead of running their mouths to no end.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:59 AM

782 posts, read 774,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Wow! Where is this?!?? Think the cheapest I see it is maybe $12.99 or so at Whole Foods. Being a Belgian import, the price keeps going *up up up*. Also need my Duvel tulip glass. Have broken two of them now that I got with the beer.
Correct, like Seventh Said...its the Sunset Park Costco. I actually work near the 5 towns costco and like it better overall, but they don't carry any good beers.

Speaking of the tulip glasses, this Russian supermarket chain called 'Net Cost' sells a Duvel gift set around Christmas time. Two 11oz bottles and a Tulip glass for $9.99, bought 4 last year .

Old 09-08-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Correct, like Seventh Said...its the Sunset Park Costco. I actually work near the 5 towns costco and like it better overall, but they don't carry any good beers.

Speaking of the tulip glasses, this Russian supermarket chain called 'Net Cost' sells a Duvel gift set around Christmas time. Two 11oz bottles and a Tulip glass for $9.99, bought 4 last year .
The real deal? Not bad. Would like to get the glasses for my regular rotation, which is Duvel, Piraat, Rochefort 10 and Chimay Blue. Drink a lot of others but those are *the best* which is saying something when you have Scaldis, Gulden Draak and so many others to choose from.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:25 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,919,704 times
Quote:
Whole Foods' vendors can be found easily online. What you're saying is total BS. Many Asian vendors *don't* sell organic food, hello, and often times don't even get the food that they sell *locally*, but rather in Latin America or elsewhere. Should be a no-brainer that the food would be *much* cheaper. I don't buy *conventional* fruit, period, so am not sure why you're comparing conventional to organic. They are *not* the same and what dictates what is called *organic* according to the USDA is quite strict. People should educate themselves better instead of running their mouths to no end.
Actually someone already did an investigation into why Chinese supermarkets are cheaper. Apparently it's a combination of very low markup plus they source a lot of their stuff from mom and pop farms. Of course they're able to do this because many of their veggies probably don't generate high enough volumes for say FOXY to grow on a hundred thousand acres maintained via industrial sized *organic* chemical sprayers. So if you're so against industrialized and non local foods then you should shop at Chinese supermarkets. And if you still don't believe that it's local just buy some of the greens that can only last a few days in the refrigerator, e.g. water spinach, yam leaf, pea shoots.

The Real Reason Chinatown Produce is Crazy Cheap | SAVEUR

" “Chinatown’s 80-plus produce markets are cheap because they are connected to a web of small farms and wholesalers that operate independently of the network supplying most mainstream supermarkets.” While most of the rest of New York's markets get their produce from the Hunts Point Market in the Bronx, Chinatown sellers work directly with small neighborhood warehouses. Since they're operating in close geographic proximity, they can get fresh produce throughout the day from wholesalers, and therefore don’t need a store with refrigeration or a lot of storage space."

Old 09-08-2017, 11:49 AM

24,715 posts, read 34,692,124 times
Ahhh, COOR'S Golden Banquet, 24 ounce: 3/$5 at Cherry Valley.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Actually someone already did an investigation into why Chinese supermarkets are cheaper. Apparently it's a combination of very low markup plus they source a lot of their stuff from mom and pop farms. Of course they're able to do this because many of their veggies probably don't generate high enough volumes for say FOXY to grow on a hundred thousand acres maintained via industrial sized *organic* chemical sprayers. So if you're so against industrialized and non local foods then you should shop at Chinese supermarkets. And if you still don't believe that it's local just buy some of the greens that can only last a few days in the refrigerator, e.g. water spinach, yam leaf, pea shoots.

The Real Reason Chinatown Produce is Crazy Cheap | SAVEUR

" “Chinatown’s 80-plus produce markets are cheap because they are connected to a web of small farms and wholesalers that operate independently of the network supplying most mainstream supermarkets.” While most of the rest of New York's markets get their produce from the Hunts Point Market in the Bronx, Chinatown sellers work directly with small neighborhood warehouses. Since they're operating in close geographic proximity, they can get fresh produce throughout the day from wholesalers, and therefore don’t need a store with refrigeration or a lot of storage space."
*LOL* Have shopped in the Korean places, and while some things are *cheap*, others aren't, so it varies. With ever increasing rents, would have to think that even in Chinatown, prices would have to go up a little bit in those Chinatown stores. If familiar with the area, must know that one of the politicians representing the nab talks *non-stop* about people being gentrified out and the need for affordable housing, and am sure that includes commercial rents as well, since TriBeCa is just next door.

As for shopping in a Chinese market, have to think the stuff comes from China, otherwise, where could they grow such large amounts of food and sell it for so cheap? When shopping in Whole Foods, I always buy things from small responsible, local organic farms. One of my favorites is Hepworth Farms up in Ulster county. Some of the best organic cherry and heirloom tomatoes around.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
*LOL* Have shopped in the Korean places, and while some things are *cheap*, others aren't, so it varies. With ever increasing rents, would have to think that even in Chinatown, prices would have to go up a little bit in those Chinatown stores. If familiar with the area, must know that one of the politicians representing the nab talks *non-stop* about people being gentrified out and the need for affordable housing, and am sure that includes commercial rents as well, since TriBeCa is just next door.

As for shopping in a Chinese market, have to think the stuff comes from China, otherwise, where could they grow such large amounts of food and sell it for so cheap? When shopping in Whole Foods, I always buy things from small responsible, local organic farms. One of my favorites is Hepworth Farms up in Ulster county. Some of the best organic cherry and heirloom tomatoes around.
Well if your preference is to avoid veggies imported from China at Chinese markets don't buy the garlic, ginger, and the various hardy root type veggies other than red carrots and onions. The same applies to Korean markets since I saw the produce from China boxes for ginger/garlic. Stick with the greens with soft leaves since they don't last more than a few days without starting to shrivel up in the refrigerator so they can't be imported other than using air freight. Unlike many western veggies like kale, broccoli, etc. most Asian veggies are soft greens akin to spinach and many don't last very long even in the refrigerator so it would be too costly to ship it via air freight.

But back to the topic, I wished Wholefoods had even more organic meats. Went a few weeks ago and they didn't have any organic pork left and I wasn't interested in the local pork whatever that means. Other than the organic meats I can get almost anything else organic cheaper at Fairway since Fairway cut back significantly on their organic meat offerings the past year or two. For organic milk Target is cheaper. I picked up two gallon jugs of Horizon organic milk on sale for 5.49 each a week ago and regular price is only like 6.99 for a whole gallon. Regular price for half gallon on those is 4.50 to 5.00 at supermarkets. But I will probably make a trip to Wholefoods this weekend to check it out and probably buy some organic meats.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Well if your preference is to avoid veggies imported from China at Chinese markets don't buy the garlic, ginger, and the various hardy root type veggies other than red carrots and onions. The same applies to Korean markets since I saw the produce from China boxes for ginger/garlic. Stick with the greens with soft leaves since they don't last more than a few days without starting to shrivel up in the refrigerator so they can't be imported other than using air freight. Unlike many western veggies like kale, broccoli, etc. most Asian veggies are soft greens akin to spinach and many don't last very long even in the refrigerator so it would be too costly to ship it via air freight.

But back to the topic, I wished Wholefoods had even more organic meats. Went a few weeks ago and they didn't have any organic pork left and I wasn't interested in the local pork whatever that means. Other than the organic meats I can get almost anything else organic cheaper at Fairway since Fairway cut back significantly on their organic meat offerings the past year or two. For organic milk Target is cheaper. I picked up two gallon jugs of Horizon organic milk on sale for 5.49 each a week ago and regular price is only like 6.99 for a whole gallon. Regular price for half gallon on those is 4.50 to 5.00 at supermarkets. But I will probably make a trip to Wholefoods this weekend to check it out and probably buy some organic meats.
No, *Whole Foods* is cheaper with organic milk. Half gallon for the 365 Brand is now *$3.49*. For Organic Valley or Stony Field, will pay through the nose at WF.

For veggies, will *not* shop at those Asian markets. Want *local* and *organic*, so farmers' market, Whole Foods or *bust*. If in search of more *organic meat*, whole foods can be expensive, but for coldcuts or whatever like their 365 brand and the other organic items they carry, and will *gladly* for it.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
No, *Whole Foods* is cheaper with organic milk. Half gallon for the 365 Brand is now *$3.49*. For Organic Valley or Stony Field, will pay through the nose at WF.

For veggies, will *not* shop at those Asian markets. Want *local* and *organic*, so farmers' market, Whole Foods or *bust*. If in search of more *organic meat*, whole foods can be expensive, but for coldcuts or whatever like their 365 brand and the other organic items they carry, and will *gladly* for it.
Nah no 365 for me. For that I can get Costco organic for about the same. Was told by wifey that cheap organic milk is cheap for a reason and I was told not to buy Costco organic milk by her though I still do sometimes, lol. So it's either Horizon, Organic Valley, or Stony Field for me with Organic Valley being the preferred brand. Their 365 brand is weird, they sometimes put two organic chicken breast side by side and the 365 is like 6.99 a pound and regular organic was something like 9.99 a pound. Makes you wonder what the difference is.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Nah no 365 for me. For that I can get Costco organic for about the same. Was told by wifey that cheap organic milk is cheap for a reason lol. So it's either Horizon, Organic Valley, or Stony Field. Their 365 brand is weird, they sometimes put two organic chicken breast side by side and the 365 is like 6.99 a pound and regular organic was something like 9.99 a pound. Makes you wonder what the difference is.
Thing is Horizon is questionable despite being expensive. Has been *a lot* of discussion about their practices and if their items really do meet the USDA *organic standards*, but in a pinch, have bought the stuff, but generally avoid it for that reason.

For years, would not touch the stuff (just about anything from the 365 label), but the girlfriend buys some of it, so tried it and was surprised. The 365 organic skim milk is *awful*. Looks bad too. The 2% seems too much rich, and the 1% is the best and is usually the one that sells out the quickest. It's actually as good as Organic Valley. Can tell you have had some *issues* with Organic Valley and their milk having an *off* taste. Wrote the company personally at least once in the last few years and receive vouchers *twice* for free milk and discounts on their other items. For that reason, switched almost exclusively to Stony Field's organic milk (all of their organic milk is consistently good) before they increased their prices, and now use the 365 brand and Stony Field. Organic Valley (for milk anyway is a sometime thing - used to be my go-to option). Their other organic products are still amazing. Organic cheese, organic butter... All great.

Am thinking Whole Foods has access to large farms where things can be more *manufactured* despite being *organic*. Organic Valley and Stony Field by comparison are *much* smaller, so that makes a big difference in their overhead costs. Nevertheless, have come to trust some of the 365 items. Only buy organic or GMO free items from their label that are made in USA, made in Italy or Canada, which is cereal, milk, their Stracchino pizza or veggies or tortilla chips. Take off that frozen arugula, put some fresh organic arugula on it, add a bit of GMO free olive oil, organic chicken sausage, organic roasted garlic and some of the Hepworth organic tomatoes after everything has cooked, and the taste is *very good*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City