Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 10:33 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,079,855 times

Advertisements

The proper way to come up with a list of most affordable neighborhoods is to look at comparable units currently on the market. For example, what are 750-800 sq foot one bedrooms renting for in Jamaica, Maspeth, Queens Village, Woodside, Briarwood, etc.?

If you do it that way, you'll find that this list they came up with is completely useless.

But I guess they know that articles about far-flung, suburban-like, uninteresting neighborhoods in Eastern Queens where you have to take the subway to the bus do not sell papers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 10:40 AM

14,039 posts, read 13,855,431 times
Even in far queens area with no subway access rents still quite expensive

Old 09-08-2017, 10:52 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,334,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is a silly article. They are basing this all on "median resale price" of each neighborhood. OF COURSE a neighborhood with an extremely large percentage of apartments (vs. houses) is going to have a lower median price than a neighborhood that is mostly houses, because anytime a studio apartment sells it might be around $150K and therefore brings the overall median way down. Even a one bedroom apartment priced at $350K is going to bring a median down if you're comparing it to a neighborhood where almost all sales are single or multi family properties.

I sometimes hate what people do with numbers.

And yes, I do live in one of those 5 neighborhoods. It may be affordable compared with gentrified Brooklyn, and compared to Astoria and LIC, but there is no way that it's more affordable than the vast portion of Queens where you have to take a bus to the train.
I do wish they would separate out rather than use median.

Same thing happens by me. We have TONS of coops that obviously sell for much lower than the houses, which mostly sell for over one million, but our median sales price is something like---400-500K. Most families, at that point, are not looking for a studio/one bedroom.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Even in far queens area with no subway access rents still quite expensive
compared to what?

Old 09-08-2017, 11:47 AM

148 posts, read 175,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
The strange thing is that Forest Hills and Kew Gardens are affordable (and I agree they are), but yet very few poor people live there.
I really don't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I just looked up Forest Hills rents and it doesn't really seem affordable for poor people, even if it's affordable by NYC standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
$1900-$3200 rent is affordable lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Forest Hills should not even be in this discussion as it is overall an upper middle class area. Am not even including Forest Hills Gardens, which is in and of itself is one of the most expensive parts of Queens, right up there with Neponsit and Douglaston. Kew Gardens is only slightly cheaper than Forest Hills. Solid middle class with upper middle class pockets.
Quote:
The only poor people who would live in a neighborhood where one bedrooms rent for $2000/mo are people who have been there forever and have low stabilitzed or controlled rents, or are in NYCHA (I don't think there are any NYCHAs in Forest Hills).

I suppose poor people could also live in a house packed to the gills with people while the city turns a blind eye to the illegal overcrowding conditions.
As a resident of nearby Rego Park, and as someone who is constantly in Forest Hills, it is definitely NOT what I would call an "affordable" place to live. Forest Hills is great to live in (suburban-ish feel that's still in NYC proper, great mass transit options, good schools), but the residential real estate has gone way up over the last 3 years or so -- that's everything from detached homes to single-room rentals. There is a lot of demand for homes in Forest Hills, and very low inventory.

At least in terms of Forest Hills, that article is extremely misleading. Maybe they meant "affordable upper-middle to upper class in Queens"? That, at least, might make more sense.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:52 AM

14,039 posts, read 13,855,431 times
Quote:
compared to what?
far areas in The Bronx bordering Yonkers etc

Old 09-08-2017, 11:55 AM

12,770 posts, read 8,230,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tungt88 View Post
As a resident of nearby Rego Park, and as someone who is constantly in Forest Hills, it is definitely NOT what I would call an "affordable" place to live. Forest Hills is great to live in (suburban-ish feel that's still in NYC proper, great mass transit options, good schools), but the residential real estate has gone way up over the last 3 years or so -- that's everything from detached homes to single-room rentals. There is a lot of demand for homes in Forest Hills, and very low inventory.

At least in terms of Forest Hills, that article is extremely misleading. Maybe they meant "affordable upper-middle to upper class in Queens"? That, at least, might make more sense.
Am wondering if they excluded Forest Hills Gardens. Even so still not cheap. Forest Hills Gardens has numerous areas with *median* incomes over $150,000 and homes over a million. Know someone who lives there in fact. Both white collar professionals. Husband is a doctor and the wife is an interpreter working in the courts. Household income has to be around $200,000 combined, maybe more. Being *conservative*.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 979,207 times
THose far flung eastern queens are most expensive parts of QUeens. Houses in Bayside or Douglaston can easily sell for 3 millions

Quote:
The proper way to come up with a list of most affordable neighborhoods is to look at comparable units currently on the market. For example, what are 750-800 sq foot one bedrooms renting for in Jamaica, Maspeth, Queens Village, Woodside, Briarwood, etc.?

If you do it that way, you'll find that this list they came up with is completely useless.

But I guess they know that articles about far-flung, suburban-like, uninteresting neighborhoods in Eastern Queens where you have to take the subway to the bus do not sell papers!

Old 09-08-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
THose far flung eastern queens are most expensive parts of QUeens. Houses in Bayside or Douglaston can easily sell for 3 millions
Those aren't the areas I'm talking about.

I was thinking more of areas like Springfield Gardens, Laurelton, Rosedale, St. Albans, Cambria Heights, Queens Village, South Ozone Park and Floral Park.

Once upon a time I worked in a job where I interacted with a lot of poorer Queens residents and those are the addresses I remember. I don't know if all of those areas are "affordable" but I'm guessing they are, since they are not the high end areas like Douglaston or Jamaica Estates and most of the time the residential landscape is quite ugly (I've driven through some of them) and as far as I know the public transportation is not great.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:17 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,436,902 times
Quote:
Those aren't the areas I'm talking about.

I was thinking more of areas like Springfield Gardens, Laurelton, Rosedale, St. Albans, Cambria Heights, Queens Village, South Ozone Park and Floral Park.

Once upon a time I worked in a job where I interacted with a lot of poorer Queens residents and those are the addresses I remember. I don't know if all of those areas are "affordable" but I'm guessing they are, since they are not the high end areas like Douglaston or Jamaica Estates and most of the time the residential landscape is quite ugly (I've driven through some of them) and as far as I know the public transportation is not great.
They're affordable for NYC standards, but not really that afffordable. The houses there are more expensive than where I live (Balwin) despite lack of amenities and small lot sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City