U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 02:05 PM

676 posts, read 280,180 times

Advertisements

I don't think I know anyone under 30 years old who pays less than 40% of their income for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 02:10 PM

676 posts, read 280,180 times
If you are working in chelsea, try living in the west side of inwood or washington heights.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:16 PM

160 posts, read 73,276 times
Yes. NYC is very expensive. You also couldn't pay me enough to live or work there. It's way too busy. Did I see that the offer was for 65k? That won't go far.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:41 PM

193 posts, read 339,722 times
Also consider the river towns, i.e Dobbs Ferry, Yonkers, Tarrytown. These are all under 40 minutes direct to Grand central with the Hudson line. Nice scenic trip with no crazy subway people to deal with. My only complaint is it is hard to find younger folks the further out you go. It tends to be more "retiree" or middle-ages types..

Old 09-20-2017, 02:50 PM

3,201 posts, read 1,039,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Also consider the river towns, i.e Dobbs Ferry, Yonkers, Tarrytown. These are all under 40 minutes direct to Grand central with the Hudson line. Nice scenic trip with no crazy subway people to deal with. My only complaint is it is hard to find younger folks the further out you go. It tends to be more "retiree" or middle-ages types..
*Avoid* Southwest Yonkers like the plague!! The further *north* you go the better. Southeast Yonkers is generally fine as well.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:56 PM

116 posts, read 161,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I don't think I know anyone under 30 years old who pays less than 40% of their income for rent.
I am under 30 and am paying 33 percent of my after tax income to rent. Unfortunately a lot of the rest goes to student and medical debt.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:26 PM

465 posts, read 192,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibeyi View Post
New York is some what still a melting pot! Good luck trying to find a area with majority Caucasian people. I recommend saving some money before getting your own place. You don't need a car if you live in the city, you will be spending money or your time looking for parking. If you want a bang for you buck I recommend the upper west side, the Inwood/Washington Heights area or parts of queens (long island city) or downtown Brooklyn . as @stromgal said where ever you decide to live , your in for a real culture shock!
That’s the thing I never get about these threads. If you only want to be around white people, have no money and want to keep your car, why the hell would you come to nyc?

This place is literally for people who want the complete opposite of that. No matter where you go, you will be around people of different color than you. Unless your locking yourself in a penthouse on Park Ave. That’s part of what makes NY great, so it’s crazy to me that people who want to move here don’t want that.

Saying you want to move to NYC and only be around white people is like saying I love Miami but want an area that’s not too hot in the summer.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:43 PM

1,037 posts, read 637,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Not many for sure. I got my apartment at 24 and was only paying 24% (ironically). I'm now 9.6%, though temporarily. Same apartment, just splitting it with a friend. Then I'll be back to around 19.39%.

I'm an outlier though.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:02 PM

6,161 posts, read 2,947,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
That’s the thing I never get about these threads. If you only want to be around white people, have no money and want to keep your car, why the hell would you come to nyc?

This place is literally for people who want the complete opposite of that. No matter where you go, you will be around people of different color than you. Unless your locking yourself in a penthouse on Park Ave. That’s part of what makes NY great, so it’s crazy to me that people who want to move here don’t want that.

Saying you want to move to NYC and only be around white people is like saying I love Miami but want an area that’s not too hot in the summer.

I think he might be trolling

If not, I totally agree with you. It's definitely not the place to come if you want to only be around white people. No US city with over 500,000 people is either, for that matter.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:18 PM

105 posts, read 54,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Thatís the thing I never get about these threads. If you only want to be around white people, have no money and want to keep your car, why the hell would you come to nyc?

This place is literally for people who want the complete opposite of that. No matter where you go, you will be around people of different color than you. Unless your locking yourself in a penthouse on Park Ave. Thatís part of what makes NY great, so itís crazy to me that people who want to move here donít want that.

Saying you want to move to NYC and only be around white people is like saying I love Miami but want an area thatís not too hot in the summer.
Exactly! This is the best post, well said. No need to add anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City