Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 07:59 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,423 times

Advertisements

Wondering if any train nerds here can explain why the B/D express trains don't stop at 14th St. 14th is probably the 2nd busiest street after 42nd St so it deserves an express stop. And it would have provided easy transfer between the B/D and the 2/3, and I dunno anywhere else in Manhattan to transfer between these lines. And the L!

Just wondering.

Last edited by wiivile; 09-15-2017 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:09 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Given the number of other convenient transfers and the A/C paralleling the B/D for much of Manhattan, this is probably not much of a bummer.

In regards to missed transfers, I think the A/C is pretty limited in Brooklyn and it's also crazy that the G doesn't have a joint station with the J/M/Z.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:03 PM

954 posts, read 939,135 times
The part of 14 Street that the b/d skip isn’t as popular as the union square 14th Street stop. That’s the popular one.

Also those stations are not equipped for express trains, they’re local stops. The infrastructure just isn’t here.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:08 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Also those stations are not equipped for express trains, they’re local stops. The infrastructure just isn’t here.
well yeah duh, the guy was asking WHY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
Wondering if any train nerds here can explain why the B/D express trains don't stop at 14th St. 14th is probably the 2nd busiest street after 42nd St so it deserves an express stop. And it would have provided easy transfer between the B/D and the 2/3, and I dunno anywhere else in Manhattan to transfer between these lines. And the L!

Just wondering.
good question as to why it wasn't built out as an express stop, but you could say the same about the Lexington line having no express stop at 33/34th street which is a much more significant omission

I think it's definitely a good thing though it's nice to have a long distance express stop like those two and like the D and 2,3 on the Upper West Side

Old 09-15-2017, 09:19 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

good question as to why it wasn't built out as an express stop, but you could say the same about the Lexington line having no express stop at 33/34th street which is a much more significant omission

I think it's definitely a good thing though it's nice to have a long distance express stop like those two and like the D and 2,3 on the Upper West Side
Am thinking it has to do with competition. Have to remember that today's system wasn't all cohesive and was built in parts with different lines *competing* against each other. Could explain at least *some* of the stations.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:22 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am thinking it has to do with competition. Have to remember that today's system wasn't all cohesive and was built in parts with different lines *competing* against each other. Could explain at least *some* of the stations.
Well the 6th ave line is a sister to the 8th ave line in the city's IND system. The 8th ave express stops at 14, but the 6th ave does not, even though both were served by the same cross town IND L train. And there never has been more going on at 8th & 14 than 6th & 14, quite the opposite. 6th Ave used to be lined with huge dry goods stores and department stores like in the old TJ Max building

So yeah, it is a peculiar mystery

Old 09-15-2017, 09:29 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

Nothing connects to the Lexington Avenue line at 33rd St. Plus there is nothing significant there. Don't see any reason to make it an express stop really.

It drives me crazy that I can't connect from the B/D to the 2/3 anywhere in Manhattan. 14th St was the natural place to do this since there is an existing transfer. As well as the L.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:16 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Nothing connects to the Lexington Avenue line at 33rd St. Plus there is nothing significant there. Don't see any reason to make it an express stop really.

It drives me crazy that I can't connect from the B/D to the 2/3 anywhere in Manhattan. 14th St was the natural place to do this since there is an existing transfer. As well as the L.
I'm curious as to why this drives you crazy. It's an omission, but given the robust number of other connections, I'm curious as to what's the trip you're referencing that makes this lack of a transfer much more difficult.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:32 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,072,273 times
Quote:

This is why subway lines should play an important part in people's decisions of where to live in NYC. First thing you should do when thinking of moving to a neighborhood is analyze the transit routes and connections you would have to use on a daily basis to make sure you are not getting into a situation where you can't transfer directly from one line to another that you have to use every day.

If it's driving you crazy that you can't easily get from one point to another on a regular basis you should probably think about moving to another neighborhood. And look at the map before doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: