Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 09:30 PM

9 posts, read 37,395 times

Advertisements

Hello my fellow city data friends..

Have you ever tried to negotiate a lower rent?

We saw an apt that we liked very much- this was the second time that we saw this apt. The first time was about a month and a half ago and it was available immediately. The apt seemed a bit over priced at the time and we were not willing to move immediately so we didnt take it. Well when I saw it was still available more than a month later I asked to take a second look. This is a small studio + apt on the UWS on a nice street with a little outdoor space. This time we want to move asap, willing to sign a two year lease, have excellent credit blah blah blah.. we asked for the price to come down from $2150 to $2000. The owner flat out said no.

I thought it wasnt so uncommon to negotiate the rent here in NYC especially now when the market seems a bit "slow" . I mean I cant understand why he wont budge on the price.. he has shown it to countless people- my understanding is its been available for 3 months or so. I want to start a two year lease now- and he will only give me half off the last months rent in two years!!!!

What should I do? Should I call him and tell him hes crazy!- or just leave it alone like my husband says... any suggestions. this is really bugging me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 PM

922 posts, read 3,855,573 times
Everything is negotiable -- even rent in NYC. I successfully negotiated with my landlord over the cost of renting the garage.

However, each party in the negotiation has a right to refuse an offer or walk away. You many think he's "crazy" but he has every right to accept or decline your offer, for whatever reason he sees fit.

Move on. It's nothing personal.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 AM

well said.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:05 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,320,368 times
if you are renting space in like say someone's home who cannot make the payments on his home, and he is in one not so posh areas, you should be able to because he is in need of cash flow, but if you are in a posh area, then the landlord has no need to negotiate.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:19 AM

28 posts, read 141,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Everything is negotiable -- even rent in NYC. I successfully negotiated with my landlord over the cost of renting the garage.

However, each party in the negotiation has a right to refuse an offer or walk away. You many think he's "crazy" but he has every right to accept or decline your offer, for whatever reason he sees fit.

Move on. It's nothing personal.
I was curious. Are there many apartments that have attached garages. That would be ideal for me when I move this summer as I need to maintain a car and this would be convenient.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I was curious. Are there many apartments that have attached garages. That would be ideal for me when I move this summer as I need to maintain a car and this would be convenient.
Garages, driveways and parking lots are more prevalent as you go farther out into the less dense parts of SE Brooklyn and NE Queens. Attached garages are not very common in rental buildings in this area, but are generally a feature of the many single family homes here. Renting parking spaces or driveways is a fairly common, however.

We live "out there" in Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn. Our building is a three-unit with a single private garage in the basement level. When the garage became available after another tenant in the building moved out - I jumped on it.

I see from your earlier posts, that you are going to be working in NJ, and my point of view is SE Brooklyn, so this would not be a convenient commute for you.

Last edited by UpstaterInBklyn; 03-16-2008 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Typo!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:00 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,951,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Garages, driveways and parking lots are more prevalent as you go farther out into the less dense parts of SE Brooklyn and NE Queens. Attached garages are not very common in rental buildings in this area, but are generally a feature of the many single family homes here. Renting parking spaces or driveways is a fairly common, however.

We live "out there" in Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn. Our building is a three-unit with a single private garage in the basement level.

I see from your earlier posts, that you are going to be working in NJ, and my point of view is SE Brooklyn, so this would not be a convenient commute for you.
I think you mean SE queens, NE queens is still one of the nicest areas within NYC

Old 03-16-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I think you mean SE queens, NE queens is still one of the nicest areas within NYC
I guess it depends on your definition of "nice". My area, Gerritsen Beach/Sheepshead Bay/Marine Park, is middle-class, safe, family-friendly and still relatively affordable.

However, it is not a chic area with lots of "amenities" (like trendy coffee shops and bars/restaurants).

A car is more of a necessity here. Things are more spread out and public transportation is far less convenient outside of the Monday-through-Friday 9-to-5 commuting window, so not having a car really limits one's choices.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:44 AM

Default need to negotiate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
if you are renting space in like say someone's home who cannot make the payments on his home, and he is in one not so posh areas, you should be able to because he is in need of cash flow, but if you are in a posh area, then the landlord has no need to negotiate.
I just thought that since it has been available for more than 1 and a half months that there was a need to negotiate.. I think the apt is honestly overpriced.. I want to pay a FAIR price for the apt.. not looking to get a steal.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:03 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,634,706 times
Well, that's not a fair price to the landlord. He wants $150 more and is willing to hold out for it. He might not need to negotiate, he might be willing to wait until he gets he right tenant willing to pay his price. While it seems frustrating, I suggest you move on, why keep your energy focused on this one landlord/apt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City