Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:02 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
All the construction has the rats moving around, too. They live underground for the most part, but construction sites are often awash in displaced and upset rats, whose regular routes to food are messed up, so you see them running across the sidewalk.

On the UES rats one has seen crossing sidewalks are coming up from the gutters, sewers, tree beds and or crossing street to get at sources of food, usually rubbish.

Along Lexington Avenue you often see them coming up from the ventilation grates of subway. It does not help that many shops, restaurants, and other places place their food laden rubbish on top of those grates.

Will give you however construction does stir rats up. Friends live on East 80th and had a huge rat problem when Con Edison was digging up their block for new gas mains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:14 PM

499 posts, read 793,552 times
The city simply needs a better way for businesses and residential buildings to store and collect trash in the densest parts of the city. I also think it's unfair and asinine that garbage is stored on the sidewalk and not on the street. Are parked cars more important than pedestrians?

As for the rats, walk around Manhattan south of 59th at 5AM and see how it's completely trashed. Between the drunks, tourists, vagrants ripping open bags, and poor garbage pick, you can better appreciate the incredible undertaking required to keep the city reasonably clean.

There's lots of room for improvement, but this won't come from our vision-less mayor whose only concern is to pack as many people into the city as possible with no regard to infrastructure. Perhaps more BIDs should be created. Some of the BIDs like the Lincoln Square and Fifth Avenue one keeps the streets amazingly clean.

Last edited by Arxis28; 09-18-2017 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
The city simply needs a better way for businesses and residential buildings to store and collect trash in the densest parts of the city. I also think it's unfair and asinine that garbage is stored on the sidewalk and not on the street. Are parked cars more important than pedestrians?

As for the rats, walk around Manhattan south of 59th at 5AM and see how it's completely trashed. Between the drunks, tourists, vagrants ripping open bags, and poor garbage pick, you can better appreciate the incredible undertaking required to keep the city reasonably clean.

There's lots of room for improvement, but this won't come from our vision-less mayor whose only concern is to pack as many people into the city as possible with no regard to infrastructure. Perhaps more BIDs should be created. Some of the BIDs like the Lincoln Square and Fifth Avenue one keeps the streets amazingly clean.

Not just below 59th street, but everywhere. The problem has grown over past few years as "dumpster diving" has become far more accepted or whatever. It used to be considered disgusting and low behavior to "pick things out of the garbage", but now everyone and their mother seems to do so, and without shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJmCUSb-ZVo

To be fair as one has said often enough, for the homeless and or "food challenged" going through dumpsters and or plastic bin liners for food can be seen as "recycling" one supposes. These people obviously are in various states of need and the stuff is being thrown away....

Though fighting rats, mice, and God only knows what else for my meals isn't how one would live, guess people do what they have to do.

This being said that scattering of bag contents and creating a mess is one of the reasons many places have pushed to have their rubbish picked up early, rather than sit all night on curb.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:05 PM

375 posts, read 323,436 times
When I'd bike ride shore road right underneath verrazano bridge there are rats running everywhere there. At night, if it weren't for my bike light, I'd be running them over. They are everywhere.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:49 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Under the Brooklyn Bridge, too, and worse when the fish market was active at the South St Seaport. But truly never ever so much as when they did work on the street, either construction or ConEd, Verizon, whatever. What was a bunch of rats became a carpet. And they do love trash.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:50 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
NYC has always been an unsanitary city unfortunately:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/art...deep-in-trash/
Thanks for that article - I really liked it.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:23 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
So you came into this NYC forum just to spread a little sunshine?
We have rats. Others have poisonous snakes and alligators. Guess which is worse?

Old 09-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
We have rats. Others have poisonous snakes and alligators. Guess which is worse?
You are missing the point entirely.

Poster does not nor has not lived in NYC yet saw fit to enter this forum and pass judgment on topic (and by extension those who do live here), thus inserting themselves into matters that do not directly affect.

Do believe that falls under the category of trolling.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Since rats are everywhere, their droppings can carry viruses that causes death yet I see a lot of people sitting on the stoop, side walks, or curbs. In the subways where rats are frequent I see people sit on the platform floor against the steel beams. That's usually where homeless people pees and rats go looking for a bite to eat.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:21 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is a choice that those who live there make. I've never seen a rat in my life, except in a pet store, and I'm 69.
So, you New Yorkers live in overpriced cubbyholes and travel underground to get places, and pay outrageous prices for every day necessities, and get, you look down on everyone else? What's wrong with this picture?
That you are a bigger snob than those super-elite, rich Manhattanites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City