Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:58 PM

282 posts, read 575,348 times

Advertisements

The ferry would be a great idea for you--driving in NYC can be nerve wracking. And, as others said, there will be a lot of people in the area even that early in the morning. You should be perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 12:12 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Don't drive into Manhattan, that is the recipe for a nightmare for someone nervous about the city. I wouldn't drive down there for any reason unless I was just transiting to the tunnel to leave.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_nj View Post
I am not familiar with NYC, or navigating around it and my lack of confidence is concerning me with an upcoming event I will be attending. I am required to be at Battery Park before 7am and will not be leaving until after 5pm. I've heard there is no parking in BP directly and that one must park locally and walk into the Park. Is that true? If so, I've searched around for local parking lots and found a few within 10 minutes walk of a place called Castle Clinton - which I believe is the meeting place (I'll know for sure as we get closer to the date).

The event is being held on a weekday and I will be driving in from western NJ/eastern PA area. I am not comfortable with taking public transportation since I don't understand it -- but might give it a try if there was a station closer to this Castle Clinton place. My concern with walking to and from the parking garage, early morning/late afternoon, is that I am a single older women and will have some expensive gear with me, needed for the event -- naturally, I'd like to limit my exposure to walking alone as much as possible (I do not know any of the other participants going).

I am now regretting my decision signing up for this event - and wished I had done the research in advance as to how I would get there. So unless I can get some confidence up from some of you guys, with some good suggestions on how to get there easily and safely -- I'll probably cancel my reservation. Advise please. thanks!
Isn't Castle Clinton the place where tourists buy tickets to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island? If so, tourists will be out going to get tickets for the ferry. I have been to Castle Clinton a couple of times and you do have to walk inside the park to get to it. Parking in that part of Manhattan is expensive and construction is going on everywhere so I don't know how advisable it would be to drive into that area. At that time of the morning people will be out (people going and coming from work, tourists, etc.) so it's not likely that the area will be totally deserted. People will still be around when you are leaving as well. Can you come into the city before the event to check things out and make sure that you feel comfortable (not suggesting that drive here at 6:00 am but during the day so you'll have a better understanding of the layout of the place)?

May I ask what kind of event that you are going to at Castle Clinton? Would it be possible for you to hide the expensive gear that you will be traveling with? Can you meet up with other people at a coffee shop /restaurant outside of the park and you all walk to the event together? I know that you said that you don't know the other people but maybe some of them have similar traveling concerns.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:46 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Some people are on this forum are jesting with you.

Castle Clinton is a very historic site where immigrants were first processed before Ellis Island. There are also signs for it in Battery Park. It's a beautiful affluent area and will have plenty of people going to school, work, or for breakfast at one of the many restaurants in the area at 7 AM. Penn Station is also very busy at 6-7AM too. Subways and buses run 24/7 in NYC. So do cabs. Rush hour starts at 6, if not before. Some of the schools in the area start at 7AM. It's not like you will be walking along deserted streets by yourself. If you are going to arrive before dawn, Battery Park is a beautiful place to watch the sunrise. Take some pictures for yourself.

Is the equipment very heavy to lug around? If so, then you are better off driving and parking or taking a cab from Penn Station or Port Authority (bus). It won't be an easy drive because you will be going in rush hour. Lots of people on the road in the area at 6AM and later. Also, lower Manhattan is not in grid pattern and there are plenty of one way streets. It can be confusing if you are not familiar with the area if you choose to drive. If you can, drive to one of the NJ ferries and take one to Battery Park. Lovely ride and no stress. You could also drive to Staten Island and take the free ferry, but I don't know how the parking for that would work.

This is not a difficult trip for an elderly woman. I'd call some of the ferry operators and find out about the parking on the NJ side. You can also post this question on the NJ forum. Hopefully, the weather will be cooperative. Enjoy the day. Please don't be nervous about this.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:30 PM

120 posts, read 186,319 times
Don't drive. That will be hellish. Try to take public transportation. It's safe. That area is very safe. You have nothing to worry about. 6 am isn't even a big deal. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2017, 11:55 AM

15 posts, read 15,565 times
You can totally do it, easily and safely. Try checking the NJ transit, you can drive to any station along the path and take a train right into Penn Station.

New Jersey Transit - Home

Once you arrive in NY, hop in an Uber or cab (cab is probably easier in that busy area) and they will take you right where you need to go. Since you're carrying expensive stuff, take a picture of the cab driver's license and medallion # which should be displayed on the plastic between you two. As for keeping your expensive equipment safe, just try and consolidate it as much as you can. As long as you look organized and like you are walking with a destination and purpose, everyone will leave you alone.

New York is a great place, there is so much to see and experience. You'll find that New Yorkers are kind and willing to help in most situations.

I hope you choose to come to the city, you won't regret it!

Old 09-24-2017, 12:22 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Watch out for the squirrels in Battery Park. Very aggressive.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:47 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Watch out for the squirrels in Battery Park. Very aggressive.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:52 PM

49 posts, read 57,099 times
@ martinjsxx; blakejones LOL!
@ssscz -- why would I need to photograph the cab driver/cab information?

Ok -- I have researched this all so much that my head is spinning. As long as most agree it's ok to walk from the road to the castle at 6am in safety -- with others around (I'll stay close to a group) -- I have decided I will drive from NJ to a parking garage (pre-paid for) and get a cab to the park; unless it seems nice and there are lots of people, in which case I may walk.
I would have liked to take a train in but there are no services from my closest commuter line that leaves before 6am -- way too late. There is only one bus that arrives in Port Authority by 6am -- which should be enough time to get a subway, but with that time added to it, and the walk to the castle -- I'll be cutting it close and one missed subway and I'm late. There are no ferries from NJ that early in the morning. There is one from Staten Island -- but that is a half-hour ride; add the hour and half drive (assuming no traffic issues to the terminal) and that's about a 2 hour trip. If the world was perfect this would be ideal. But I know driving into and through SI can be a wildcard. I may not be a confident traveler in NYC, but I'm pretty good when it comes to driving just about anywhere -- as long as my GPS is behaving. :-) I've been told leaving by 4:30am shouldn't be too bad -- barring any accidents, of course -- and should arrive there in 2 hours.
I plan to contact the organizer and see if others may want to meet somewhere and buddy up together -- but if not, I'll put on my squirrel face -- so watch out!! :-)
Thanks, all!

Old 09-24-2017, 07:27 PM

49 posts, read 57,099 times
I do have one more option that I am also considering -- but I would need detailed information on how to do this: I know the PATH train from Exchange Place to WTC (I used to work in Jersey City). From there I would be lost trying to find my way to the Bowling Green (I presume?) subway station (then walk to the castle). If someone familiar with this route could give me detailed (turn by turn directions) -- that might work if you all highly recommend I avoid driving in the the City. thanks, again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City