Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_nj View Post
Thank you -- could you be a bit more specific regarding "getting off at Church St". It has been years, but when I was working in JC, I would take the PATH from Exchange Place to the World Trade Center exit - end of that line -- is there a Church St exit before the WTC? thank you. :-)
This map will show you the exact staircase exits of every subway stop:
http://web.mta.info/maps/neighborhoo..._manh_2015.pdf

The closest to Castle Clinton in order or proximity (downtown direction) are:

(1) South Ferry, Back of Train
(4,5) Bowling Green, Front of Train
(R,W) Whitehall Street, Back of Train
(1) Rector Street, Front of Train

Path train at WTC just opens into the giant PATH station where you walk through the mall and connect into all the other subway street exits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 01:58 PM

268 posts, read 239,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
says someone who never drives?

at 6 am it's a piece of cake and super easy to get anywhere.

you want to avoid driving in Manhattan weekdays between 7:30 - 10:00 am and between 3:00 - 7:00 pm
Says someone who lives in Tribeca. The streets down here are clogged 24/7 with construction vehicles, Fresh Direct, NYC city vehicles, Chinatown buses...And don't forget the mess at that parking garage they are renovating and the underpass by Battery Park.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:17 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
The streets down here are clogged 24/7
oh please

I'm all over NYC any given month and I can tell you that before 7 am you will have absolutely no problem driving anywhere in the five boroughs

Old 09-25-2017, 02:22 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,402 times
Quote:
oh please

I'm all over NYC any given month and I can tell you that before 7 am you will have absolutely no problem driving anywhere in the five boroughs
That's not true, says the person who knows how to get around the five borough.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:52 PM

49 posts, read 57,045 times
Quote:
oh please

I had heard that as well from a friend who lives near by and has had to go to Battery Park area for his route at times. He recommended that if I decide to drive I should leave by 4:15, at the latest. I'm still on the fence with the PATH or driving in. No, I will not be walking all the way to the castle; that is not even a consideration. I also am confused with the various explanations of what to do once I get off the PATH -- do I follow signs for a red number 1; do I go up a set of stairs onto the street and look for the signs that I am on Church Str and head to Vesey. Or is it all underground -- I recall you can only go left when you get off the PATH but after that I don't remember.

From the map, it appears that which station I want will depend on where I am to walk to -- that 1, 4 and 5 are separate stations and at opposite directions. With Bowling Green (4,5) being the closest to the castle but probably South Ferry the most populated (1) -- so I'd probably choose 1 (since it also appears to not have as many main roads to cross and I can follow the groups coming off the ferry, I guess. I'm also guessing that if the folks in charge of this want to give everyone a place to meet, they will choose the Ferry Terminal.

Thank you very much for the lay of the land regarding where to sit on the train depending on where you want to get off -- I had forgot about that!! So, explicit details from the PATH car at the WTC terminal to the South Ferry station near the Whitehall Ferry Terminal, please. Unless someone should also want to give me a second set of directions from the PATH to the Bowling Green station. thanks so much!!

Old 09-25-2017, 04:10 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
OK, your "you can only go left" remark is nonsensical, so I'm guessing you haven't taken PATH since the Hub was rebuilt and/or the Oculus opened. I can't remember any time when "you can only go left" was true, but it doesn't matter.

You get off the train. You take the elevator or escalator or stairs from the track level to the next level, look for the turnstiles, and go through one. Then you take either stairs or an elevator, which is to the far right.

You come out in the Oculus, which is the main hall. If you really aren't sure you are there, look up. The roof has a window/opening reminiscent of a half-closed eye; hence the name.

If this trip is this week, there is a huge display about the President's Cup in the center. They were setting it up as I passed through about 45 minutes ago.

The subways are at the opposite end of the Oculus from where you just came up. The 1 train will be indicated by a round red circle with a "1" in the center.

I have not taken a NYC subway from there so I don't know what happens when you enter, but just look for "downtown" on the 1.

And you will not be the only person there, of course. If you're not sure, act like a New Yorker and ask somebody!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:49 AM

15 posts, read 15,563 times
[quote=dvd_nj;49619732]@ martinjsxx; blakejones LOL!
@ssscz -- why would I need to photograph the cab driver/cab information?

Some people like to save the information in case you leave something in the cab. That way you know exactly which cab you were in.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:23 AM

49 posts, read 57,045 times
Thanks, ALL for all your information and support -- I'm feeling less nervous. :-) They just threw a curve-ball at me -- I have to arrive even earlier than anticipated. So it was back to the drawing board! I have decided that most likely the best course of action is to take a room (in NJ, just over the river) and drive to a parking garage in the morning -- prepaying so it is reserved; then walk (yes, I am ready to walk :-) -- thanks all!) from the garage to the castle -- google says 10 minutes. I can do 10 minutes. lol! I'll put on my best 'wild squirrel' face. Of course, if I get to the garage and don't feel comfortable with the area, I'll get a cab - or Uber, if I have time to look into how that works (my phone is ancient and does not like the modern apps too well - lol! - so that's a wildcard). Other option is park in NJ; take the PATH, then subway. I'll see how long my confidence lingers for that one. lol! @ssscz - if I leave my stuff in the cab, I will shoot myself. The whole day would be ruined and a lot of time and money down the drain. Trust me, everything will be glued to me :-) - but good suggestion.
Thanks, again, to all!

Old 09-30-2017, 07:20 PM

11 posts, read 13,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_nj View Post
Thanks, I'm concerned about the lack of service that early in the morning, though? Is Uber expensive? I've never used it -- I could drive closer to the city and have them pick me up; would they be able to drive right to this "castle" - or would I still need to walk? Thanks, again!
I'm pretty sure you can check Uber quotes in advance online now!

Old 10-01-2017, 07:55 PM

120 posts, read 186,196 times
I wish I could just meet you and walk you over. I would, but I have a seven year old daughter I need to care for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City