Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:20 PM

49 posts, read 57,052 times

Advertisements

I am not familiar with NYC, or navigating around it and my lack of confidence is concerning me with an upcoming event I will be attending. I am required to be at Battery Park before 7am and will not be leaving until after 5pm. I've heard there is no parking in BP directly and that one must park locally and walk into the Park. Is that true? If so, I've searched around for local parking lots and found a few within 10 minutes walk of a place called Castle Clinton - which I believe is the meeting place (I'll know for sure as we get closer to the date).

The event is being held on a weekday and I will be driving in from western NJ/eastern PA area. I am not comfortable with taking public transportation since I don't understand it -- but might give it a try if there was a station closer to this Castle Clinton place. My concern with walking to and from the parking garage, early morning/late afternoon, is that I am a single older women and will have some expensive gear with me, needed for the event -- naturally, I'd like to limit my exposure to walking alone as much as possible (I do not know any of the other participants going).

I am now regretting my decision signing up for this event - and wished I had done the research in advance as to how I would get there. So unless I can get some confidence up from some of you guys, with some good suggestions on how to get there easily and safely -- I'll probably cancel my reservation. Advise please. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 07:27 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Get a man to go with you, or don't go. It's not worth it.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:06 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
hm..it would easier to take the train or bus into the city.

you're probably better off canceling.

last resort, maybe uber

Old 09-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Thanks, I'm concerned about the lack of service that early in the morning, though? Is Uber expensive? I've never used it -- I could drive closer to the city and have them pick me up; would they be able to drive right to this "castle" - or would I still need to walk? Thanks, again!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I don't know much about commuting from Pennsylvania, but you could choose any parking garage you like in Lower Manhattan and then take a cab from the parking lot to the meeting place. Not a big deal.

There are some parking lot coupons that you can look up online to find deals. That is what my sister always does when driving in from Delaware. Just Google "parking lot coupons NYC" or something like that. Cabs are everywhere in Manhattan so you shouldn't have a problem hailing one from wherever you leave your car.

Lastly, Manhattan really isn't a scary dangerous place. Use a regular amount of caution but try not to get overly worried.

Another perhaps easier option (depending on amount of gear you're hauling) is to take the bus or train into NYC and then get a cab to the location. It might even be cheaper when you figure that you won't have to pay tolls and parking garages.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:13 PM

954 posts, read 938,650 times
What expensive gear will you have with you? Can you give me a rundown?

Meet me at 4am at east 152nd street in harlem. I’ll bring some guys that will help you out.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:21 PM

Thanks, Henna -- but just to confirm: This 'Castle Clinton", can a cab/uber take you direct to it, no walking? I can't tell from the maps if those lines are foot-paths or streets that criss-cross around Battery Park -- several websites implied they are only foot-paths - in which case I'm back to the walking dilemma (in the dark -- keep in mind the time I'll be there, please). I'll look at the schedules, but I am presuming there are so few lines (trains or buses) going that early in the morning from Clinton NJ or Easton, PA [to arrive at Battery Park by 6:30ish] that driving may make more sense, timewise. Again, newbie talking again: if I go the car/parking garage - are there cabs that run past frequently at around 6:30 -- or will I be better off contacting uber (again, never used one before) - and which is more expensive? thx, again!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
What expensive gear will you have with you? Can you give me a rundown?

Meet me at 4am at east 152nd street in harlem. I’ll bring some guys that will help you out.
date and time, too - right? LOL! thx!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_nj View Post
Thanks, Henna -- but just to confirm: This 'Castle Clinton", can a cab/uber take you direct to it, no walking? I can't tell from the maps if those lines are foot-paths or streets that criss-cross around Battery Park -- several websites implied they are only foot-paths - in which case I'm back to the walking dilemma (in the dark -- keep in mind the time I'll be there, please). I'll look at the schedules, but I am presuming there are so few lines (trains or buses) going that early in the morning from Clinton NJ or Easton, PA [to arrive at Battery Park by 6:30ish] that driving may make more sense, timewise. Again, newbie talking again: if I go the car/parking garage - are there cabs that run past frequently at around 6:30 -- or will I be better off contacting uber (again, never used one before) - and which is more expensive? thx, again!
Maybe you could call the phone number for Castle Clinton and ask how close you can get. I'm sure they've had this question before from others attending events.

As far as I know, cabs are everywhere all the time in Manhattan. But I'm never in Manhattan at 6 am so maybe someone else can answer.

I think Uber tends to be a little cheaper but if you're going a short distance it would only be the difference of a few bucks. And if you've never used Uber, you will need to download it on your phone and set up and account, etc. which might not be worth it for one short ride.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:32 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,601,675 times
Go to google maps and look at the satellite view for Castle Clinton and Battery Park. What you see on the map are foot paths. Some maps may show roads that are underground beneath the park. Castle Clinton is an old circular fort near the water. The edge of the park is maybe 2 or 3 blocks walk to get to the fort inside the park depending on where you start.

There are many Parking garages in lower manhattan but many will fill up very early in the morning, your early arrival time will help you. Getting a taxi from the garage to the park should be easy if you are on a busy street like Broadway or Water Street. Lower Manhattan is full of small streets that will not have many taxis passing by so move to a busy street or maybe the garage can help get a taxi.

Lower manhattan/Wall Street area should be very safe.

Your early arrival should make the morning easier from a driving perspective but leaving at 5pm will make the exit more difficult. Expect your driving times to be much longer and unpredictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City