Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should MTA negotiate with CDOT to allow Manhattan bound riders to board New Haven Line trains at For
Yes 3 60.00%
No 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 04:53 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Pretty small request here. It's pretty crazy that legacy non-competes are still in operation. Also, the thing got truncated-it's supposed to be Fordham station. And it's not just Manhattan-bound--basically, people at Fordham can't board the train headed towards Grand Central (so it's either 125th or Grand Central) while people getting on at Grand Central or 125th can't get a ticket to just Fordham.

It appears to almost never be packed. There's almost always sitting room, and it'd be fine even if there were only standing room since it's an express that goes from 125th to Grand Central and that's it. These train lines when first built were meant to be well-used. It's pretty crazy that trains that still have sitting room are legally restricted from allowing more people on board.

The stop is very close to Fordham University, Belmont (Little Italy in the Bronx), and the New York Botanical Garden. It's absurd that people living in NYC can't make good use of this.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-22-2017 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 07:55 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pretty small request here. It's pretty crazy that legacy non-competes are still in operation. Also, the thing got truncated-it's supposed to be Fordham station. And it's not just Manhattan-bound--basically, people at Fordham can't board the train headed towards Grand Central (so it's either 125th or Grand Central) while people getting on at Grand Central or 125th can't get a ticket to just Fordham.

It appears to almost never be packed. There's almost always sitting room, and it'd be fine even if there were only standing room since it's an express that goes from 125th to Grand Central and that's it. These train lines when first built were meant to be well-used. It's pretty crazy that trains that still have sitting room are legally restricted from allowing more people on board.

The stop is very close to Fordham University, Belmont (Little Italy in the Bronx), and the New York Botanical Garden. It's absurd that people living in NYC can't make good use of this.
You are complaining about a non-issue. First off, Connecticut pays the MTA significant funds to operate such a way and to operate the service for Connecticut residents. Second, the Harlem Line makes frequent stops at Fordham, 125th and Grand Central. People that need Grand Central to 125th have the Harlem Line *or* Hudson Line. Third, despite your claims about how *empty* the trains are, many are quite crowded. All depends on the train and where it is going. The thing is not subway. Operates as a commuter rail for Connecticut. Not the first time you went running your mouth about a non-issue.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You are complaining about a non-issue. First off, Connecticut pays the MTA significant funds to operate such a way and to operate the service for Connecticut residents. Second, the Harlem Line makes frequent stops at Fordham, 125th and Grand Central. People that need Grand Central to 125th have the Harlem Line *or* Hudson Line. Third, despite your claims about how *empty* the trains are, many are quite crowded. All depends on the train and where it is going. The thing is not subway. Operates as a commuter rail for Connecticut. Not the first time you went running your mouth about a non-issue.
There's been grumblings on this for a while. You're doing your usual job of both being factually incorrect while being so wonderfully aggro while doing your mouth runs. The Hudson Line does not stop at Fordham, because it diverts west towards the Hudson River. Meanwhile, what exactly is wrong with letting people onboard and off when the trains are making the stop anyways? It's a commuter rail line so you don't get that many trains coming--so if there are people who are willing to ride, then why cut them off from the already infrequent, especially off-peak or reverse, service anyhow? And when was the last time you made that peak hour commute? I did for months and there was not a single time I saw standing room only trains. And even if there were, it's two stops to Grand Central--standing isn't much.

This is pretty limited issue, but it also takes very limited work to work. It's just sort of absurd.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-22-2017 at 10:58 PM..

Old 09-23-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
There's been grumblings on this for a while. You're doing your usual job of both being factually incorrect while being so wonderfully aggro while doing your mouth runs. The Hudson Line does not stop at Fordham, because it diverts west towards the Hudson River. Meanwhile, what exactly is wrong with letting people onboard and off when the trains are making the stop anyways? It's a commuter rail line so you don't get that many trains coming--so if there are people who are willing to ride, then why cut them off from the already infrequent, especially off-peak or reverse, service anyhow? And when was the last time you made that peak hour commute? I did for months and there was not a single time I saw standing room only trains. And even if there were, it's two stops to Grand Central--standing isn't much.

This is pretty limited issue, but it also takes very limited work to work. It's just sort of absurd.
So busy running your mouth that you didn't read what I wrote. Never said that the Hudson Line trains stop at Fordham. I *said* that the Harlem Line trains run frequently and make stops at Fordham. Also said that people that travel from Grand Central to 125th can take the Harlem Line *and* Hudson Line. Am thinking you just like to hear yourself talk or whatever. Commuter trains run a little less than subways yes, but during rush hour those traveling from the stations you mentioned still get a train every half hour *or* less. Am thinking the subways come every 10 minutes most of the day sometimes every 20 minutes, unless we're talking about the very crowded lines.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
So busy running your mouth that you didn't read what I wrote. Never said that the Hudson Line trains stop at Fordham. I *said* that the Harlem Line trains run frequently and make stops at Fordham. Also said that people that travel from Grand Central to 125th can take the Harlem Line *and* Hudson Line. Am thinking you just like to hear yourself talk or whatever. Commuter trains run a little less than subways yes, but during rush hour those traveling from the stations you mentioned still get a train every half hour *or* less. Am thinking the subways come every 10 minutes most of the day sometimes every 20 minutes, unless we're talking about the very crowded lines.
Sorry, it was hard reading through the roid raging--I'm also not sure what your point was about the Hudson Line in the first place if I was specifically talking about Fordham station. Is that another mouth run of yours?

Again, explain why you're opposed to this. If the train stops anyways, why do you think it's a better idea to not allow people who are paying to use it? There is no additional rolling stock or employees involved. There is no additional delay for people already on the train. There is generally plenty of room. What is the basis for why you want to argue against this?

Old 09-23-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Sorry, it was hard reading through the roid raging--I'm also not sure what your point was about the Hudson Line in the first place if I was specifically talking about Fordham station. Is that another mouth run of yours?

Again, explain why you're opposed to this. If the train stops anyways, why do you think it's a better idea to not allow people who are paying to use it? There is no additional rolling stock or employees involved. There is no additional delay for people already on the train. There is generally plenty of room. What is the basis for why you want to argue against this?
The trains are for Connecticut commuters, not New York commuters. It stops at Fordham for those riders and people in Westchester *east of the Harlem Line* who have *no* other options. People going to Grand Central from Fordham have *several* Harlem Line trains that stop there, as Fordham is a busy station. If you bothered to look at the schedule, would see that trains stop there sometimes every 5-15 minutes, just like a subway, even today, so the people that are paying already have frequent service.

The State of Connecticut pays the MTA to not make stops (as in make pick-ups) there because the commuters already have long commutes. Know of someone who commutes over an hour and a half each way, each day to and from Grand Central. Those with short commutes from Fordham have no need to elongate the commutes of others, not unless they're selfish Manhattanites like yourself who thinks that world revolves around you.

Riders in Fordham can take the 4 train or the D train, as well as the BxM4 express bus, so stop acting like they have *limited* options.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 09-23-2017 at 07:11 AM..

Old 09-23-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
The trains are for Connecticut commuters, not New York commuters. It stops at Fordham for those riders and people in Westchester *east of the Harlem Line* who have *no* other options. People going to Grand Central from Fordham have *several* Harlem Line trains that stop there, as Fordham is a busy station. If you bothered to look at the schedule, would see that trains stop there sometimes every 5-15 minutes, just like a subway, even today, so the people that are paying already have frequent service.

The State of Connecticut pays the MTA to not make stops (as in make pick-ups) there because the commuters already have long commutes. Know of someone who commutes over an hour and a half each way, each day to and from Grand Central. Those with short commutes from Fordham have no need to elongate the commutes of others, not unless they're selfish Manhattanites like yourself who thinks that world revolves around you.

Riders in Fordham can take the 4 train or the D train, as well as the BxM4 express bus, so stop acting like they have *limited* options.
You actually really think allowing people to get on while people can get off and vice versa at the Fordham stop (which the New Haven line already stops at)? Have you ever taken the train at the station before?

No one is saying there is limited options, but it is silly what they do now and your reasoning is silly. And I don't live in Manhattan. I feel like you're in this conversatuon just because you really enjoy bunching up your panties because you started pretty aggro, have pretty scant reasoning, seem unaware of the topic, but just really need to bunch your panties.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
You actually really think allowing people to get on while people can get off and vice versa at the Fordham stop (which the New Haven line already stops at)? Have you ever taken the train at the station before?

No one is saying there is limited options, but it is silly what they do now and your reasoning is silly. And I don't live in Manhattan. I feel like you're in this conversatuon just because you really enjoy bunching up your panties because you started pretty aggro, have pretty scant reasoning, seem unaware of the topic, but just really need to bunch your panties.
What is it that I'm not supposed to know? Have taken the Harlem Line train at that station plenty of times, and *know* what I'm talking about. You don't have to like the reason why New Haven Line trains don't pick-up there going to Grand Central, but it is a fact that Connecticut pays the MTA *not* to pick-up there. Also, you are lying about how crowded New Haven Line trains are to give your claim validity.

You want to ignore how frequent Harlem Line trains are at that station. That was your first claim as to why New Haven Line trains should pick up there. Then when given *factual* information about how frequent Harlem Line trains pick up there, you call the information I provide *foolish*. So it's foolish that someone with a commute of almost two hours each way should be forced to pick up people at stations where they already have frequent service? There are already services that exist where people can only exit and not board, and the reason for that is to keep service running quickly. You may not think it's a big deal to add extra time picking up people at Fordham, but for someone who is already commuting *hours* one way, it makes a difference. Someone traveling from Fordham to Grand Central has a commute *under* 25 minutes, not to mention a bunch of other options, and yet that's not good enough. Yes, that is being *selfish* because it says to hell with everyone else's commute which may be *triple* the time of my commute. *I* should have those trains at my disposal despite the short ride.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
What is it that I'm not supposed to know? Have taken the Harlem Line train at that station plenty of times, and *know* what I'm talking about. You don't have to like the reason why New Haven Line trains don't pick-up there going to Grand Central, but it is a fact that Connecticut pays the MTA *not* to pick-up there. Also, you are lying about how crowded New Haven Line trains are to give your claim validity.

You want to ignore how frequent Harlem Line trains are at that station. That was your first claim as to why New Haven Line trains should pick up there. Then when given *factual* information about how frequent Harlem Line trains pick up there, you call the information I provide *foolish*. So it's foolish that someone with a commute of almost two hours each way should be forced to pick up people at stations where they already have frequent service? There are already services that exist where people can only exit and not board, and the reason for that is to keep service running quickly. You may not think it's a big deal to add extra time picking up people at Fordham, but for someone who is already commuting *hours* one way, it makes a difference. Someone traveling from Fordham to Grand Central has a commute *under* 25 minutes, not to mention a bunch of other options, and yet that's not good enough. Yes, that is being *selfish* because it says to hell with everyone else's commute which may be *triple* the time of my commute. *I* should have those trains at my disposal despite the short ride.
What is it that you're going on about? What is an actual reason--that this delays trains? Is that actually rational to you? The trains stop at the station.

And you had my commute in the wrong direction, kiddo. Plus, you flat out lied about the frequency of the Harlem Line at Fordham which sounded weird to me when you said it. I actually then bothered to check and it's every twenty to forty minutes even in peak direction at peak times from the Fordham stop. Do we need to review the internet for you again?

You basically respond on instinctive panty bunching, what is that?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-23-2017 at 09:28 AM..

Old 09-23-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
What is it that you're going on about? What is an actual reason--that this delays trains? Is that actually rational to you? The trains stop at the station.

And you had my commute in the wrong direction, kiddo. Plus, you flat out lied about the frequency of the Harlem Line at Fordham which sounded weird to me when you said it. I actually then bothered to check and it's every twenty to forty minutes even in peak direction at peak times from the Fordham stop. Do we need to review the internet for you again?

You basically respond on instinctive panty bunching, what is that?
If you bothered to look at the *entire* schedule, my comments are correct. Yes, *you* need to review the internet again.

Remember, you created the thread *b*tching* about the service, so you're the one running your mouth about a non-issue. If you can't bother to *read* then that's on you. Am not explaining *why* it doesn't pick-up again. That's what Connecticut worked out with the MTA. Either deal with it or go complain to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City