Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 12:23 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I get your point but can't just lump in black and Latino like that
Why not? This is what occurred in Prospect Heights and is what occurred in many parts of the city that I know best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 12:26 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
My brother has a truck driving company, and travels all over the States. He tells me stories about how he rolls into a city or a small town somewhere deep inside of Pennsylvania or even Boston (and other cities around the country), and is super surprised to find many poor hispanic enclaves that resemble what the South Bronx, Corona, etc. were back in the 70's and 80's. I assume that these places where advertised by displaced people as being cheaper than New York City, hence the poorer crowd followed. There are some places up in upstate Amsterdam, NY as well that are also poor, with boarded up houses, etc.

To me, it doesn't matter where the poor person goes - if they don't do something about the problem, they will carry their poverty with them wherever they go.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:27 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Why not? This is what occurred in Prospect Heights and is what occurred in many parts of the city that I know best.
Just because Puerto Rican dudes tend to dress like black dudes doesn't mean blacks and Latinos are exactly the same. Is Corona the same thing as East Flatbush?

Bushwick and Bed Stuy have totally different vibes.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
My brother has a truck driving company, and travels all over the States. He tells me stories about how he rolls into a city or a small town somewhere deep inside of Pennsylvania or even Boston (and other cities around the country), and is super surprised to find many poor hispanic enclaves that resemble what the South Bronx, Corona, etc. were back in the 70's and 80's. I assume that these places where advertised by displaced people as being cheaper than New York City, hence the poorer crowd followed. There are some places up in upstate Amsterdam, NY as well that are also poor, with boarded up houses, etc.

To me, it doesn't matter where the poor person goes - if they don't do something about the problem, they will carry their poverty with them wherever they go.
I've met former NYC residents in Binghamton, NY.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Just because Puerto Rican dudes tend to dress like black dudes doesn't mean blacks and Latinos are exactly the same. Is Corona the same thing as East Flatbush?

Bushwick and Bed Stuy have totally different vibes.
That's silly. Where did I suggest that blacks and Hispanics are the same? I merely mentioned that the neighborhood I was referencing went from being overwhelming black and Hispanic to overwhelmingly non-Hispanic white.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's silly. Where did I suggest that blacks and Hispanics are the same? I merely mentioned that the neighborhood I was referencing went from being overwhelming black and Hispanic to overwhelmingly non-Hispanic white.
I get what you're saying, I just misinterpeted something.

I want to mention that while Bushwick is becoming super gentrified, and has a ton of white people living there, it still has a huge Hispanic presence. Even the most hipstered out part of it (area by the Jefferson St station) has mostly Latino or other minority owned businesses.

Would you consider the area by the Prospect Park Q train station to be Prospect Heights? It still seems like a predominately black area but with a lot of white people.i

Old 11-26-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I get what you're saying, I just misinterpeted something.

I want to mention that while Bushwick is becoming super gentrified, and has a ton of white people living there, it still has a huge Hispanic presence. Even the most hipstered out part of it (area by the Jefferson St station) has mostly Latino or other minority owned businesses.

Would you consider the area by the Prospect Park Q train station to be Prospect Heights? It still seems like a predominately black area but with a lot of white people.i
No worries, I was just getting confused!

Funny thing is that I didn't really spend much time in some of the neighborhoods bordering the neighborhoods where I grew up (Prospect Heights, Crown Heights, Bed Stuy), but I take your word on Bushwick. My college roommate grew up in Bushwick (he's Puerto Rican), but his family was priced out and moved to Far Rockaway. They still have relatives and friends in Bushwick, though.

And the Prospect Park Q train station is certainly not Prospect Heights. Prospect Heights' indisputably includes the area bounded by Eastern Parkway/Washington Avenue/Flatbush Avenue/Atlantic Avenue. Where there are disputes about Prospect Heights' borders, its pretty much exclusively about the eastern border of the neighborhood (i.e. whether the neighborhood's eastern border is Washington Ave or Classon Ave or Franklin Ave). That train station is on the border of Prospect Leffrets Garden and Crown Heights.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:06 PM

108 posts, read 81,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Self explanatory question. Where do most low income blacks and hispanics go after being priced out of gentrifying areas? Just wondering.

Do they go to cheaper neighborhoods in NYC

Do they go to cheaper cities in the NY metro (Newark, Paterson, Yonkers, Hempstead)

Do they go to cheaper metro areas in the Northeast (Philadelphia, Baltimore, Allentown Pa, Rochester NY, Hartford Ct)

Do they go down south (Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia)

I know some go to all these areas, but which group gets the most ex-NYers??
Not sure about the black community as they seem to have been moving further out East NY and the Bronx, but the Hispanic community?

The Hispanic communities seem pretty strong and is all over the place.
Another major ethnicity that seems to be growing is the Asian community followed by the Indian community.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:07 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Have said it time and again. The Jews run real estate in this city. Every landlord I have ever had has been *Jewish*.
That doesn't make sense.

If that was the case, then the Jewish areas would be MORE expensive.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:47 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
That doesn't make sense.

If that was the case, then the Jewish areas would be MORE expensive.
They are more expensive. Look at Riverdale or the West Side of Washington Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City