Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 06:24 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The most prosperous Jews tend to be pretty secular anyway, to my understanding
Absolutely. The Orthodox Jewish communities have a higher rate of poverty than secular or more liberal Jews (Reform or Conservative).

Russian Jews, especially the older ones, also have a higher rate of poverty than other Jews in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 AM

881 posts, read 615,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Because among certainly poorly educated ethnic New Yorkers, Jewish=rich.
OTOH, Jews are the most affluent as a group in the US -- "punching above their weight" in terms of their numbers...so "Jewish=rich" isn't untrue if we're talking about the tribe as a whole.

I mean, ya certainly gotta have some money to pay extra for kosher!

Old 11-27-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Have said it time and again. The Jews run real estate in this city. Every landlord I have ever had has been *Jewish*.
I've always wondered about this history of this...I mean, how did it happen??

Once upon a time the landlords were non-Jewish...what, one day they all decided to decamp for the Midwest and sold everything to the Jews?? Why not Italians, Greeks, the Irish???

I'm also curious as to the "tradition of real estate" within Jewish communities -- I understand that a popular Polish proverb goes "you own the streets but we own the buildings" in referring to power dynamics in old Poland...did immigrant Jews bring a long-standing prowess in land speculation to NYC???

Old 11-27-2017, 06:56 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Don't mean to go off topic, but certain industries and practices in NYC are dominated by particular racial groups and I find the history behind them fascinating. One of the most documented ones for NYC is the Irish cop, you can read about Tammany Hall for that. So I would like to find out about the history of the Jewish landlord. Also, a lot of Jewish back in the day were teachers, I had a Jewish teacher every year my entire time at public elementary school, it does not look like they dominate that industry any more.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-27-2017, 06:57 AM

93,320 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
My brother has a truck driving company, and travels all over the States. He tells me stories about how he rolls into a city or a small town somewhere deep inside of Pennsylvania or even Boston (and other cities around the country), and is super surprised to find many poor hispanic enclaves that resemble what the South Bronx, Corona, etc. were back in the 70's and 80's. I assume that these places where advertised by displaced people as being cheaper than New York City, hence the poorer crowd followed. There are some places up in upstate Amsterdam, NY as well that are also poor, with boarded up houses, etc.

To me, it doesn't matter where the poor person goes - if they don't do something about the problem, they will carry their poverty with them wherever they go.
Actually, many came to work in former factories or as farm workers and some parts of the city are solid/fine as well. It isn't all or nothing in terms of the cities or towns in Upstate, PA or other parts of the Northeast.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:58 AM

93,320 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
I've met former NYC residents in Binghamton, NY.
Quite a few former Philly residents there as well.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
My brother has a truck driving company, and travels all over the States. He tells me stories about how he rolls into a city or a small town somewhere deep inside of Pennsylvania or even Boston (and other cities around the country), and is super surprised to find many poor hispanic enclaves that resemble what the South Bronx, Corona, etc. were back in the 70's and 80's. I assume that these places where advertised by displaced people as being cheaper than New York City, hence the poorer crowd followed. There are some places up in upstate Amsterdam, NY as well that are also poor, with boarded up houses, etc.

To me, it doesn't matter where the poor person goes - if they don't do something about the problem, they will carry their poverty with them wherever they go.
I grew up during the '80s, at the tail end of White Flight I guess one might say, and the notion I've always had of places upstate was that they weren't run-down like the city...traveling about the state during the '90s I was shocked to learn that in fact NYC was indeed a crown jewel of American urbanism!

Really gave me an appreciation for gun-lovin'...now I'm all for gun rights myself as outside of NYC, Boston, SF, LA you absolutely cannot rely on the cops (and let's face it, you can barely rely on cops as it is even in NYC)....

Old 11-27-2017, 07:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
OTOH, Jews are the most affluent as a group in the US -- "punching above their weight" in terms of their numbers...so "Jewish=rich" isn't untrue if we're talking about the tribe as a whole.

I mean, ya certainly gotta have some money to pay extra for kosher!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...usehold_income

Indians are the most affluent, not Jews. As a race Asians are the most affluent.

Being from an affluent group doesn't make you a billionaire. NYC has plenty of low income Jews and Asians.

And there is no singular Jewish tribe. Hasidic and other ultra religious Jews tend to be poor, and ditto Russian Jews. Secular Jews tend to be live along wealthy white Christians. White Christians are the majority of the wealthy in the US, but somehow this gets lost on undereducated ethnic New Yorkers.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Just because Puerto Rican dudes tend to dress like black dudes doesn't mean blacks and Latinos are exactly the same. Is Corona the same thing as East Flatbush?

Bushwick and Bed Stuy have totally different vibes.
Yeah but what's the difference between Morrisania, Mott Haven, or Soundview in the Bronx?

As far as choosing a neighborhood goes, you don't need "exactly the same" -- just "good enough"...thus even if I can't afford a Jewish neighborhood a Chinese or Korean one is good enough....

Old 11-27-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
That doesn't make sense.

If that was the case, then the Jewish areas would be MORE expensive.
Now that doesn't make sense -- what you wrote!

It's no secret that New York real estate is Jewish (the way public schools were once "Jewish" [teachers, administrators, politicians, etc.])...and yeah, Jewish areas are generally more expensive since they're more desirable (except for Jewish ghettos like Williamsburg where non-Hasidim probably can't get in anyway [those buildings that only have Hasidic families in them])....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City