Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 PM

593 posts, read 470,477 times

Advertisements

There is no doubt in my mind that Federal Reserve policy of devaluing the dollar and creating long-term inflation has caused asset prices to increase, including NYC real estate. This has resulted in a transfer of wealth from savers to asset owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 09:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that Federal Reserve policy of devaluing the dollar and creating long-term inflation has caused asset prices to increase, including NYC real estate. This has resulted in a transfer of wealth from savers to asset owners.
Bingo. And you have hysteria from an asset owner who knows a reversal in fed policy would effect the value of his assets.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:22 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,749,452 times
It's Trumps fault...

Old 10-01-2017, 02:39 AM

106,642 posts, read 108,790,719 times
for anyone here who thinks you can predict market moves based on the feds short term rate action i say bet the ranch on it and become wealthy if you think you got it figured out

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-01-2017 at 03:27 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Bingo. And you have hysteria from an asset owner who knows a reversal in fed policy would effect the value of his assets.
news flash ! we have had a reversal in fed policy for more than a year as we break one new high after another .

no one knows the effect of rate increases ,ever . rate increases don't happen in a vacuum and so many other things influence markets .

you do realize mortgage rates were 6-7% when we had the bubble in 2007 and appreciation was soaring .

i don't see anyone here making money hand over fist because they have that crystal ball and they got it all figured out .

but hey if you think that this is how things work ,good luck with those thoughts and those magical powers .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-01-2017 at 03:46 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 06:29 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Quote:
When have I not been critical of the Democratic Party? Criticizing the Democratic Party does not mean I'm a supporter of the even worse Republican Party. The Trump administration has said that it's okay to fire people because of their sexuality. Why would I support that?
We are talking about an NYC problem. Who has the power in NYC? But of course it is the FEDs fault. Not the NYC Democrats who have been in their positions for who knows how long. Or the debt level spike under the Obama administration. But somehow you are more inclined to blame Trump over some sexuality BS that not only has no consequences to the issue raised by you creating this thread, but you don't even post as evidence of who was actually fired as a consequence.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I worked in financial services. At a broker dealer. And yes, the fed had a direct effect on the financial markets. Many of the operations jobs I did or could have done were moved out of the city or outsourced to temp agencies, so long term employment in that sector became unviable. The Clinton administration was horrible on labor rights and so was the Bush administration.
You were probably some junior staff that was shielded from the interactions with the FED. Do broker dealers even report directly to the FED?

The FED is more reactionary, but I agree, they should have more authority to be involved earlier. Their inactions causes financial crisis. Big government wants high inflation.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
news flash ! we have had a reversal in fed policy for more than a year as we break one new high after another .

no one knows the effect of rate increases ,ever . rate increases don't happen in a vacuum and so many other things influence markets .

you do realize mortgage rates were 6-7% when we had the bubble in 2007 and appreciation was soaring .

i don't see anyone here making money hand over fist because they have that crystal ball and they got it all figured out .

but hey if you think that this is how things work ,good luck with those thoughts and those magical powers .
And I'll repeat, the FED should have jumped in and dropped rates as soon as they knew this bubble was forming. They should have flooded the economy with cash. Instead they let things unfold and then flooded the economy with cash. It almost was too late for the US economy, but it was definitely too late for Nywriterdude, hence his complaining about not being able to afford to live in the city he was born in.

Instead they let a financial crisis take hold so that politicians could legislate reform to chokehold the movement of money away from the powerful coastal cities creating immense inequality with the rest of the nation leading to race-related turmoil. This all took place during the Obama administration.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:46 AM

glad you are so well versed in monetary economics and know exactly what the fed should have done after the fact . the most brilliant minds on the subject can't get a handle on these things as they unfold , but you got it all figured out . after the fact of course .

i am not smart enough to dictate monetary policy . i am just a mere mortal who just plays the cards they are dealt as best as i can as things unfold ..
do you bet on last weeks football games too ?.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
glad you are so well versed in monetary economics and know exactly what the fed should have done after the fact . the most brilliant minds on the subject can't get a handle on these things as they unfold , but you got it all figured out . after the fact of course .

i am not smart enough to dictate monetary policy . i am just a mere mortal who just plays the cards they are dealt as best as i can as things unfold ..
do you bet on last weeks football games too ?.
We have learned this through the history of financial crisis. But afterwards blame is always placed on central bankers and their cartel, so government uses this to rally up the people to oppose handing more power to the banking system. Please explain to us what a brilliant mind is. And yes, I am in first place in one of my fantasy football leagues.

BTW...all the charts you posted yourself were done after the fact as well. You need to stop using that as an excuse to not engage in dialogue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City