Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 11:33 AM

11 posts, read 7,663 times

Advertisements

Before I get the "Google is your friend!" people attacking me, I did look this up and found nothing. I called the DHCR people for an auto message so I can ask you all, a lawyer or my landlord (super liar).

My rent Stabilized lease ends September 30, 2017 and the landlord sent my renewal September 26, 2017. I know he's required to send it 90 days prior at minimum. He also applied the 1.25% rent increase.

He's sent it late before or not at all so I know he will just let me re-write the renewal date to December 30. My question is if he misses that original 90 day period can he still raise my rent or does he have to wait until the next cycle (1 year) to apply the increase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 01:48 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,833,783 times
He can apply the increase, but you have the choice to have the new lease start 90 days from the day he sent it, or on October 1.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:48 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,599,183 times
Quote:
If your landlord does not offer you a renewal lease, this does not put you at risk of eviction. Whether or not your landlord offers you a renewal lease, your rights as a rent-stabilized tenant remain the same. The old lease and rent amount remain in effect until a renewal lease is offered and takes effect.
From Metropolitan Council on Housing. Also, there's some pdf somewhere that states an example where a landlord didn't offer a renewal and thus the tenant continued to pay current rent. I signed my lease in 2014, but didn't sign a renewal until this year. I won't be seeing my rent increase until next year. It's only bolded because of copy and paste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City