U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-16-2008, 05:30 PM

10,823 posts, read 12,938,496 times
Default Suggestions for good buffet restaurants

Hi, Are there any good ethnic buffet restaurants in Manhattan or the Bronx, not the commercialized Chinese Buffet places in Bay plaza or Central Ave in Yonkers though. I want to try to go with some people I work with

years ago i read about a brazilian buffet place on W 46th street off Times Square. Is it still there? Any italian buffets in the Hyatt Regency on 42 street?

Also, any good "basement" Chinese restaurants in Chinatown? There were in the 60's, you'd walk down a sharp skiped staircase to get in and the food seemed really good in those places. Is Wo Hop still there in 17 Mott Street or is it gone? Is Ju Siang garden still there on Doyer and Pell streets? Really good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-16-2008, 05:48 PM

6,288 posts, read 9,977,064 times
This might be too long for you to look through, but here's a link Search Results: buffet - CHOW

Definitely looks like there are a bunch of good Indian buffets and a couple of Brazilian ones.

Unread 03-17-2008, 09:26 AM

190 posts, read 502,352 times
That Brazilian place was excellent. Used to go there for lunch. It suddenly disappeared about 2 years ago and I don't know what happened. Only buffets I know are the Chinese ones. Sorry.

Unread 03-17-2008, 09:40 AM

395 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Hi, Are there any good ethnic buffet restaurants in Manhattan or the Bronx, not the commercialized Chinese Buffet places in Bay plaza or Central Ave in Yonkers though. I want to try to go with some people I work with

years ago i read about a brazilian buffet place on W 46th street off Times Square. Is it still there? Any italian buffets in the Hyatt Regency on 42 street?

Also, any good "basement" Chinese restaurants in Chinatown? There were in the 60's, you'd walk down a sharp skiped staircase to get in and the food seemed really good in those places. Is Wo Hop still there in 17 Mott Street or is it gone? Is Ju Siang garden still there on Doyer and Pell streets? Really good
yes wo hop still there. there is a good vietnames basement restaurant on doyer street. cheap and good pho. i was in brazil 2 years ago when my company send me down there. they got some good beef! any1 here know any good brazilian restaurant on w. 46th st. aka little brazil? how are their beef compare to the real brazilian beef?

Unread 03-17-2008, 12:15 PM

11 posts, read 20,353 times
I know of one Indian buffet around the Columbia area... I think it's around Broadway and 110th st. I can't remember for sure. It's pretty good and a decent price, but my recommendation would be to go downtown and scout around the Village/East Village for a non-buffet, as they're way better.

Unread 03-17-2008, 08:00 PM

923 posts, read 2,234,563 times
There is another Brazilian Churrascaria on Park Ave. South at 26th called Porcao. They have a salad bar - which way more than just a green salad - and serve the meat Rodizio-style, with fifteen courses of meat brought to your table and sliced off big skewers. Awesome!

The place is also quite large and beautifully decorated, with plenty of space between the tables. Order a caipirinha before dinner. They make it tableside. It's sort of tastes like a mojito, but sweeter.

Plan on $50 per person plus drinks and tip. It's worth it!

My little way of remembering the name is to think "poor cow"... get it?

Unread 03-17-2008, 10:39 PM

395 posts
U don't know need to tell me about ciprinha. I had that during lunch while I was in brazil...it was strong. taste just like the mojito...but stronger. Yeah I heard about the brazil restaurant by 26th st. But it is expensive too...not $50. more like $80. I'm looking in the $10-$20 range...I know it is to find one at this price...lol. I walk pass 46th st. all the time. I may try out one of the couple brazil restaurant instead.

Unread 03-17-2008, 11:26 PM

508 posts, read 1,318,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
yes wo hop still there. there is a good vietnames basement restaurant on doyer street. cheap and good pho.
That Vietnamese restaurant you're referring to is called Doyer's (what a creative name!) and I agree it is excellent. It won a lot of votes in a recent 'Best Pho' thread on Chowhound. My favorite Vietnamese in the area is Thai Son but it is always much more crowded than Doyer's and you can't beat that old school, narrow alley ambience of Doyer St.

For buffets if you want to trek out to Flushing you will find some truly excellent "authentic" Chinese buffets. It's definitly not your typical strip mall Chinese buffet focusing on sesame chicken.

Unread 03-18-2008, 07:42 AM

395 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
That Vietnamese restaurant you're referring to is called Doyer's (what a creative name!)...
are u sure it is called "Doyer's?" it is located on doyers st. i go there often and see a sign called "vietnamese restaurant" so im pretty sure it is called that....creative name also...lol.

Unread 03-18-2008, 08:13 AM

10,522 posts, read 10,177,580 times
Wo Hop is still there, you can eat downstairs in the basement area or upstairs. Everyone says downstairs is better but I think they're the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City