Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 09:27 PM

14,015 posts, read 13,820,982 times

Advertisements

It current testing at two stations and it going be at 14 addition stations by end of year. MTA want it transit wide by Summer 2018. They will have to figure out how riders will use new system for people without smart phones.

"The agency has installed barcode readers at two lower Manhattan stations, allowing some riders to enter the station using prepaid trips ID’d by a barcode on their smartphones"

"Right now, the barcode readers are installed at the Bowling Green and Wall Street stops near the MTA headquarters on Stone Street, which makes sense considering that the pilot program is only open to MTA employees at this time."

It similar to other world class cities like London, Tokyo, Hong Kong

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/10/6/1643...icketing-pilot

Last edited by BPt111; 10-07-2017 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 10:56 PM

954 posts, read 934,606 times
This is AWESOME.

Now I can get stuck behind someone on the way to work with a generation 1 iPhone who can’t get the app to open making me miss my train! Sweet!

I guess I’ll be sleeping in the office on those nights when my iPhone battery dies. But hey, TECHNOLOGY!!!!

Old 10-07-2017, 11:58 PM

36,995 posts, read 39,046,891 times
Why the hell are they doing barcode instead of NFC. This is the dumbest half step possible.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,874,749 times
I've already used the e tickets to buy tickets for the LIRR. So awesome idea! I love the e tickets.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've already used the e tickets to buy tickets for the LIRR. So awesome idea! I love the e tickets.
I think the etickets (and barcode scanning) is an improvement over current systems, but if MTA is trying to rollout a system-wide coherent system, then this is a stupid half-step. NFC exists and is prevalent throughout many developed countries, and if they're going to take this goddamn long to implement anything at all, then they should build it for something that has a future to stand on.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:58 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,204,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post

I guess I’ll be sleeping in the office on those nights when my iPhone battery dies. But hey, TECHNOLOGY!!!!
Or when you try using it and someone steals your phone and runs away and your left standing there not being able to then get through

Old 10-08-2017, 01:03 AM

7,644 posts, read 6,439,379 times
I like the system used by the PATH.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Or when you try using it and someone steals your phone and runs away and your left standing there not being able to then get through
So you make sure you hold on to your phone.

The bottom line is metrocard is going to be abolished because the railroad industry no longer supports that technology.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think the etickets (and barcode scanning) is an improvement over current systems, but if MTA is trying to rollout a system-wide coherent system, then this is a stupid half-step. NFC exists and is prevalent throughout many developed countries, and if they're going to take this goddamn long to implement anything at all, then they should build it for something that has a future to stand on.
So are you writing this has a letter to both Cuomo and Lhota? People can run their mouths, but when it's time to take action people are silent . I'm not saying this is you and maybe you are politically active. But if you have better ideas, put them out in public more broadly than this anonymous forum.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So are you writing this has a letter to both Cuomo and Lhota? People can run their mouths, but when it's time to take action people are silent . I'm not saying this is you and maybe you are politically active. But if you have better ideas, put them out in public more broadly than this anonymous forum.
Don't be an idiot. This is like implementing magnetic stripes in the 2010s. Of course I'm communicating with planning associations for NYC. This is an awful half-step.

The silver lining of being behind in technological solutions has always been that there's a leapfrog technology that is better overall (including their ubiquity). That leapfrog effect isn't used when you belatedly go with outdated technology that isn't easily extensible.

This is a halfway entry point even as it is an improvement. It's like giving people a Sega 32X when other systems have moved on to a Playstation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: