Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 AM

264 posts, read 238,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I cannot believe the "brattery" / princess types and entitled people that I'm reading about on this thread. For your information, one can live a comfortable lifestyle with only 75K and even 65K here as a single person in NYC - I've done it before. What are you guys doing with your money??!
Let's not pretend that most 1 bedroom apartments in the decent/good areas of the city are "affordable" for the average person earning only 60-75K/year. Also, don't mention room-mates, because most professional adults are uninterested in living with strangers.

Please tell everyone where these magical, cheap apartments are, in relatively safe areas of the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
On 120k a year without family obligations it's not that hard to get by. It's pretty easy actually, live somewhere reasonably priced in the outerboros. Save about 30k cash plus 10k 401k a year. In five years you should have at least 150k+ in regular savings plus maybe 70k in your 401k. Next find a partner similarly responsible and making similar money. Live together for 3 years and save another 200k together. Get married put 300k down on a house in the burbs and 100k towards renovating it and still have another 100k plus in regular savings for car and child expenses. BAM!

I was in a similar situation albeit my partner was making a good chunk less than me so had far less savings. But we were still able to pull off something similar. Any single person that can't get by well enough with a 6 figure salary definitely has their priorities all screwed up.
The above plan can work for very disciplined individuals, but most people earning 120K/year are not going to save 40k/year. I do agree that it's best to do this, but unfortunately, many are trying to keep up with the Jones's and that can be difficult to do, if you're not living in the "right" neighborhood, driving the "right" car, attending the "right" parties and vacationing in the "right" spots.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Let's not pretend that most 1 bedroom apartments in the decent/good areas of the city are "affordable" for the average person earning only 60-75K/year. Also, don't mention room-mates, because most professional adults are uninterested in living with strangers.

Please tell everyone where these magical, cheap apartments are, in relatively safe areas of the city!
lol, I've been living alone (in Manhattan - one bedroom apartment 704 Sq Feet) since 2006. Back then, I didn't have a Masters degree and I was only making below 60K. But even then, I was able to go out once in a while, eat out, and do most things other people do. I was comfortable but frugal with my money. I don't need the latest clothes, nor to go out on cabs day in and day out. Nothing wrong with the subway!

The problem with some entitled people is that they all want to live at the penthouse on 59th street Columbus Circle while buying the latest fashion, taking cabs everywhere, buying the latest iPhone, going out to happy hours every day, etc., etc. Well, we all want those things, but if you can't have them, ya'll just have to limit yourselves. It's called self control. These people who make over 120K and ask if it's enough money for one person really make me wonder what they're spending their money on! Seriously, do you really have to ask a board full of strangers how to spend your money??!

Old 10-18-2017, 08:45 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:

you can get a studio or 1 bedroom in Forest Hills, Queens on that salary. FH is one of the best and safest area in Queens. Also, its about 30-40 min commute to Midtown Manhattan.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
lol, I've been living alone (in Manhattan - one bedroom apartment 704 Sq Feet) since 2006. Back then, I didn't have a Masters degree and I was only making below 60K. But even then, I was able to go out once in a while, eat out, and do most things other people do. I was comfortable but frugal with my money. I don't need the latest clothes, nor to go out on cabs day in and day out. Nothing wrong with the subway!

The problem with some entitled people is that they all want to live at the penthouse on 59th street Columbus Circle while buying the latest fashion, taking cabs everywhere, buying the latest iPhone, going out to happy hours every day, etc., etc. Well, we all want those things, but if you can't have them, ya'll just have to limit yourselves. It's called self control. These people who make over 120K and ask if it's enough money for one person really make me wonder what they're spending their money on! Seriously, do you really have to ask a board full of strangers how to spend your money??!
I asked you a simple question. Instead of answering, you decided to go on a rant about how people spend their money.

Perhaps you're in a rent stabilized apartment. I do recall that you were asking on one thread about affordable housing programs. I'm not knocking you, but I am stating that one's desires can change as they move up on the totem pole. If you're making 60k and living in NYC, it will be very difficult to eat out a lot, take frequent cab rides and wear the latest fashion.

If however you're making a high six figure income, some of those things become much more attainable, especially if one doesn't have a family. I mentioned that more people should save, but I am not judging how they choose to spend their money, and quite frankly, neither should you.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
you can get a studio or 1 bedroom in Forest Hills, Queens on that salary. FH is one of the best and safest area in Queens. Also, its about 30-40 min commute to Midtown Manhattan.
That's so uncool though. I don't recall ever seeing a transplant inquiring about that. It's always the same is this ghetto safe how about that ghetto is it safer. Can I afford to live in the cooler ghetto making 70k? Is it up and coming? In other works are the ghetto people getting flushed out yet? I'm planning on having kids how are the schools in this ghetto vs that ghetto?

Old 10-18-2017, 08:57 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:

How did you do your master's in Comp Sci while working? As far as I know the master's comp sci programs at NYU, and even Columbia don't cater to full time workers. Meaning they don't offer many classes at night. I think only the master in information systems have night sessions for all or most classes. There's also some other IT management master degrees that's offered catering to full time workers, but not comp sci.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:08 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
That's so uncool though. I don't recall ever seeing a transplant inquiring about that. It's always the same is this ghetto safe how about that ghetto is it safer. Can I afford to live in the cooler ghetto making 70k? Is it up and coming? In other works are the ghetto people getting flushed out yet? I'm planning on having kids how are the schools in this ghetto vs that ghetto?
Transplants tend to be dreaming about the Sex and the City lifestyle...or Wall Street type lifestyle movies. FH is a pretty nice area to live and have nice restaurants in the area. Its not as hip as Billyburg or LIC which is the place to live.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:21 AM

444 posts, read 387,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Transplants tend to be dreaming about the Sex and the City lifestyle...or Wall Street type lifestyle movies. FH is a pretty nice area to live and have nice restaurants in the area. Its not as hip as Billyburg or LIC which is the place to live.

That's where people should have been watching Living Single more at least they were roommates, with the except of Maxine who was a lawyer. It was more realistic.

I would take FH over Williamsburg or LIC but I grew up here. I think if you are moving here having a roommate is not a bad idea, or living in a studio is not a bad idea. If Manhattan had more hostel type housing I wonder how that would fair.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:42 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
I was speaking with a friend who is single/no children and earns 120k/year in NYC. She mentioned that even at her income level, living in NYC is difficult. If life is truly difficult for a single person making 120k/year, just imagine what it's like for a family earning only 75K/year.
A single person with no dependents that cannot manage to live comfortably on $120K in NYC has clear problems with managing money, frivolous spending habits, or just poor financial judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City