Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 12:35 PM

89 posts, read 151,367 times

Advertisements

I went to CUNY. I have a decent job. But I will say NYC is a who you know kind of place. Honestly, I don't believe in luck but you need a little luck on your side. Sometimes working in the right company with the right people and making a good impression just moves you to the top fast. I've seen it. But I've seen an attorney who works his tail off and is a great attorney but because he don't rub shoulders with the right people, he never got a job "upstairs". That's where all the top execs works. He's just get overlooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 01:25 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz222 View Post
I went to CUNY. I have a decent job. But I will say NYC is a who you know kind of place. Honestly, I don't believe in luck but you need a little luck on your side. Sometimes working in the right company with the right people and making a good impression just moves you to the top fast. I've seen it. But I've seen an attorney who works his tail off and is a great attorney but because he don't rub shoulders with the right people, he never got a job "upstairs". That's where all the top execs works. He's just get overlooked.
Oh well. If he's making enough $$ he may not care.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:16 PM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
How did you do your master's in Comp Sci while working? As far as I know the master's comp sci programs at NYU, and even Columbia don't cater to full time workers. Meaning they don't offer many classes at night. I think only the master in information systems have night sessions for all or most classes. There's also some other IT management master degrees that's offered catering to full time workers, but not comp sci.
Look around their websites. A looooong time ago, NYU, Colombia and the rest of these Universities implemented part time programs for "the working professional"
Most have great online programs as well. I am about to do another Masters as I'd like a part time teaching job.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:06 PM

264 posts, read 238,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Look around their websites. A looooong time ago, NYU, Colombia and the rest of these Universities implemented part time programs for "the working professional"
Most have great online programs as well. I am about to do another Masters as I'd like a part time teaching job.
Columbia and NYU are out of reach for the average "working professional" in NYC due to the requirements and the cost.

Stern's part-time program is not new; its been around for some time. I'm a graduate of NYU, and I'll admit that it can be costly. Stern's part-time program is around 30k+ for 15 credits and one needs 60 credits to graduate.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:14 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,854,765 times
that's 120K though! ouch. Also keep in mind ivy leagues can be a major turn off to many employers.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:42 PM

30,623 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
that's 120K though! ouch. Also keep in mind ivy leagues can be a major turn off to many employers.
That's news to me. I'm sure there are some employers who may see Ivy League degree and think "snob" but an Ivy League degree surely opens up more doors than it closes.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:47 PM

Of course it opens up more doors than it closes. But like I said, some employers find people from the ivy leagues not worth the entitled attitude they bring.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:55 PM

30,623 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Of course it opens up more doors than it closes. But like I said, some employers find people from the ivy leagues not worth the entitled attitude they bring.
You wrote "many" employers. My questioning was a matter of degree.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:58 PM

Many in the grand scheme of raw numbers, I didn't say most. Clearly you are not ivy league.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:14 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,276,722 times
I agree with the comment a few pages back about employees looking at target schools that aren't necessarily Ivy League. I've read on here that for say accounting jobs in NYC you should go to this school or that school and neither were Ivy League. One was a community college even but was well known as a backdoor chance into certain successful firms there.

I've met entire parent groups in other States that figured out ways to reverse engineer their child's path into Ivy League schools on the East Coast even though they're average kids from average families. They seemed to look around at the successful people in their communities and learn from them how they did it, and if one school in their area has a higher acceptance rate of kids being accepted into Ivy League schools they'd try to get their kids in that way so they'd have a better chance. I marveled at their ingenuity because they say it worked with 4-5 kids in that parent group already even though it's this small city. Basically following in the footsteps of others that managed to do that and model what they did.

This is actually sort of what I did with my husband so we'd have success in America. He's an International Medical Graduate and the State we lived in when he immigrated didn't offer any learning hospitals or medical opportunities. So I looked within my company to jobs in other States that did offer learning hospitals and mentors. I encouraged him to reach out to the Islamic communities in these towns and find out what opportunities were there for him in the medical community. It turned out there were 3-4 other IMG doctors in one community that did what he was doing and could mentor him. So I immediately applied, interviewed and transferred there with my company and it was the best decision I've made. I'm not sure we'd be where we are without that move.

We got on the same track as those successful doctors that did it before him and now he's the 5th one that became a success among them. They're currently mentoring 3 other younger ones that reached out to the community like we did. One of them I don't think is going to make it because he can't seem to focus and study for the Steps which are the same exams the American Medical Graduates take. It's been three years now for him studying and that's long. The other two are brother and sister in medical school back in their home country that have cousins here. They're two years apart so they have time to prepare and a gap between their ages so their match times will be different coming here if they go for it.

Twice now we could have matched in NYC but chose not to mainly because there was better value elsewhere for us during the training years. At first, the interviews he was offered were in the ghetto from what I was told on here and I didn't really want to live in the ghetto. The second time around with fellowship match was much better pickings because he was already in the system with three years of US medical training. He really wanted to end up in NYC when we first moved here so I've been following along reading and learning about it ever since. For years he talked about it but time moved on and priorities change. As we near finishing up training he's singing a different tune.

It's a common misconception most doctors are wealthy. I had to look this up once and on Wiki their salary is middle class to upper middle class and depends on where they live. They also commonly take on enormous debts to receive their years of medical education. With four years of undergrad. Four years of medical school. Then Three - Seven years of Residency followed by a subspecialty if they want for One - Four years of Fellowship. They can do multiple residencies and multiple fellowships if they like. I mean they could be the perpetual student for life in training with crushing medical school debts. Not counting the MD/PhD ones which is way longer. There's also a split between the academic physician's path and the private sector.

I still tell him to go where ever the money is so we can have a fat stack saved for our retirement. Places that don't have a higher concentration of physicians pay more but the doctors also work more with fewer resources because there are less of them. I don't care if it's in the Dakotas, which I've never been to. If he wants to go to NYC I know we won't save as much but it will be completing his dream and the experience he'd get there is valued higher pretty much everywhere else if he wants out. Though with the subspecialty he's in that major metropolitan market is already saturated.

I think with any field you have to pay your dues and there will be periods of struggles. You'll have to find your way or make your own path. They call it growing pains for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City