Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:39 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times

Advertisements

to the OP, just look at how the regular cash lottery works.

It's a similar premise, except there is no buy in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 07:07 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
No, you're both wrong,. Ithe IS a state program.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/421-a_tax_abatement
Please do your research correctly, lol. I'm not asking you about this, I used to do CPA certifications for developers/syndicators who were involved in the program and received LIHTCs.

I think you need to understand the difference between a tax credit and a tax abatement because they work differently.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:13 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
not only that but the title refers to the federal tax code requirement that allows the bonds to provide financing to be tax free muni's to investors

Old 10-22-2017, 06:45 PM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
The ONLY reason you're living OK on $40K is because you have an affordable housing apartment.

Your entire statement means nothing because your case is an exception and not the norm. Most will not get an affordable housing apartment. Most singles making ~$40K in NYC will not be living a "decent life" for too long without some kind of government subsidy/support.

Your post is disingenuous but not surprising.

Affordable housing or not, I have always been one to live within my means. I could've been living at home rent free (but still contributing to the household / saving towards homeownership). But nooooooo, that's considered a moocher,. I take an apartment that is scaled reasonably to my budget and still get called a moocher. I could've gotten a roommate... let's not even got started on what this forum thinks about roommates... I'm over it.

I'm paying almost half my net pay towards rent alone which is a lot (50% exactly if you include the utilities.)

What am I, supposed to be miserable crying woe is me? Enough people do that crap on this forum day in and day out. Market rate and "affordable" alike.

I don't plan to be on it forever because I refuse to pay rent for the rest of my life. If things progress as is, I should have enough for a down payment on a modest condo in Parkchester, by 35; assuming the prices don't deviate too high from where they are now.
I'm 27 now, trying to figure my long term life out, give me a break.

Last edited by RadeonHD4250; 10-22-2017 at 07:44 PM..

Old 10-27-2017, 06:20 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Affordable housing or not, I have always been one to live within my means. I could've been living at home rent free (but still contributing to the household / saving towards homeownership). But nooooooo, that's considered a moocher,. I take an apartment that is scaled reasonably to my budget and still get called a moocher. I could've gotten a roommate... let's not even got started on what this forum thinks about roommates... I'm over it.

I'm paying almost half my net pay towards rent alone which is a lot (50% exactly if you include the utilities.)

What am I, supposed to be miserable crying woe is me? Enough people do that crap on this forum day in and day out. Market rate and "affordable" alike.

I don't plan to be on it forever because I refuse to pay rent for the rest of my life. If things progress as is, I should have enough for a down payment on a modest condo in Parkchester, by 35; assuming the prices don't deviate too high from where they are now.
I'm 27 now, trying to figure my long term life out, give me a break.
Guaranteed you'll still be in affordable housing by the time you're 35. You know why? Because it's too good of a deal to pass up. Do the math. You'd be a moron to pass up an affordable housing unit unless you really have to.

Furthermore, no one saying you're supposed to be miserable. On the other hand, don't write a post centered around how everything is all good on a $40K salary in NYC while living in affordable housing. Do you not see the irony in that?

It's as if I had a trust fund and told people they didn't have to work because I don't have a job and I get along just fine.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:38 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
that poster is a bit wet behind the ears. he's literally posted screen caps of his dating profiles in other threads screaming about how people on hookup sites are trying to get with him and act all weird and nasty :/ Definite subsidized housing lifer. Not throwing shade cuz i'd like to be a definite subsisized housing lifer myself, but his proclamations of his future are hysterical.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:56 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Guaranteed you'll still be in affordable housing by the time you're 35. You know why? Because it's too good of a deal to pass up. Do the math. You'd be a moron to pass up an affordable housing unit unless you really have to.

Furthermore, no one saying you're supposed to be miserable. On the other hand, don't write a post centered around how everything is all good on a $40K salary in NYC while living in affordable housing. Do you not see the irony in that?

It's as if I had a trust fund and told people they didn't have to work because I don't have a job and I get along just fine.

Exactly!

Mayor de Boob is repeating the same mistakes with his "permanently affordable" units that came out of RS; longevity of tenancy. That is those with below market RS apartments tend only to move if forced (eviction, major issue with building such as demolition, etc...) or by their own free well. That and only *Death* causes such persons to move.

While this may seem like a good thing it presents several major issues. First and foremost it ties up the stock of so called "affordable housing" to a " I got mine, now you get yours" mentality. That is without right sizing rents to income the only other solution is to continue (or attempting) more and more units to fulfill the demand for affordable units.

It also promotes a culture of persons who could or should move, but won't for fear of never obtaining another "affordable" apartment in NYC, especially Manhattan. So they run game like subletting or whatever in order to keep said apartment even when living elsewhere.

The other thing is something one has commented upon often enough; what is "affordable" in one's younger days, can become less so as a senior or elderly living on fixed income. As have noted many of those middle aged or elderly seen digging through garbage bags are *NOT* homeless. But often live in various housing from RS to supported apartments. It is just after monthly expenses they literally have very little left to live upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: