Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:29 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveblackpeople View Post
Can i have your opinon on a white person moving there to jamaica because i go there all the time i love it im planning on moving there im not one of those white people that are your typical one i love black people thats why i wana start my life in jamaica...do you think i will get stares or bad comments or be in danger for living there??
Jamaica takes up like half of Queens.. you're going to have to be more specific.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,007 times
^^ troll?

Jamaica is humongous... but Queens Village is another neighborhood that's too big for its own damn good, holy crap. Taking the 27 down to Cambria Heights... didn't sound so bad, only one neighborhood south of Queens Village, which is only one neighborhood south of me, so it's like going west through Fresh Meadows into Flushing, right? Ten minutes at most?

Oh hell no. Queens Village is the size of a small island nation. Took half an hour to pass through the friggin' place. Driving through West Virgina or Delaware take shorter than taking the bus through QV.

By the way, a white guy wanting to live among black people might be better off in QV, since other white people still live there, you won't be the cause of people scratching their heads. And it's nicer, too, for an added bonus.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:52 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
^^ troll?

you won't be the cause of people scratching their heads.
Lol i hear that

Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 PM

391 posts, read 1,249,098 times
op probly saw this and got scared

YouTube - 50 Cent - In My Hood MUSIC VIDEO

Old 09-19-2008, 03:57 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaywego View Post
Hey guys, one of my good friends at work recently invited me to dinner at his house. He lives on 145th st below 119th Ave. Would I be safe driving to his house and parking right in front of it?

Thanks a million

-JC
If the OP is still around, did you ever make that trip to Jamaica? How was it?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 PM

59 posts, read 238,212 times
LOL..posts like these always makes me laugh and please excuse me if I am being disrespectful but I had to comment. As soon as a white person ventures out of their element into a place where THEY are now the minority they always ask "will I be safe going here". Like all people(minorities) do is sit around and look for a white person to target lol or like the same thing that could happen to them in the outerboros can't happen to them wherever they are from. You don't see posts saying "hey I am a white person going to the village will I be safe" it's just funny to me. I doubt you will see a posts say "hey I am a black/latino person going to Soho or Chelsea will I be safe". LOL

Last edited by bxchick; 09-19-2008 at 10:18 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 11:14 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxchick View Post
LOL..posts like these always makes me laugh and please excuse me if I am being disrespectful but I had to comment. As soon as a white person ventures out of their element into a place where THEY are now the minority they always ask "will I be safe going here". Like all people(minorities) do is sit around and look for a white person to target lol or like the same thing that could happen to them in the outerboros can't happen to them wherever they are from. You don't see posts saying "hey I am a white person going to the village will I be safe" it's just funny to me. I doubt you will see a posts say "hey I am a black/latino person going to Soho or Chelsea will I be safe". LOL
I agree that the title of the thread can be interpreted as being insensitive, awkward, and ludicrous.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:33 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxchick View Post
I agree that this topic in particular seems pretty awkward.. if you want to ask about the safety; it doesn't have to be related to race, but asking about safety is a good thing to do, in general. There was a thread some time ago mocking this, asking if it was safe for a black guy to go to a white neighborhood.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:20 PM

3 posts, read 8,029 times
It's the classic NY divide. See, we have totally different concepts of what is safe and normal depending on where you're from. Now the 2008 truth is that a white person being on that side of Queens would probably be looked at for a moment but then thought nothing more of. The sentiment is sort of "hey, he's not a dt. so he's not my problem." And it is true that a black man alone in say Roslyn Heights has a WAY higher probability of being "unsafe". That's just reality, sad reality; but reality nonetheless.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default thank you

Thank you, it is a blessing to share a laugh.

P.S. Reports are the OP never made it past Sutphin Blvd. Another "shook one" down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie_718 View Post
This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I haven't laughed this hard in months! I registered with City-data just to tell you that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City