Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,310 times

Advertisements

Hi, I applied to Penn South as a single. Now that I am being called to choose an apartment, I want to have a roommate. I will be the sole mortgage holder. My roommate's income and mine combined are still below the allowable ceiling. When and how do I inform Penn South about the roommate? Will there be any problem introducing a new party? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 06:17 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
Sketch

Old 10-24-2017, 06:18 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
How does one acquire a new person in these affordable housing lotteries where the new person still has you in the range? Are you bringing in a boyfriend or girlfriend who doesn't work? That's not fair to legit people applying to these lotteries. It's basically fraud what you are committing.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:29 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_LA View Post
Hi, I applied to Penn South as a single. Now that I am being called to choose an apartment, I want to have a roommate. I will be the sole mortgage holder. My roommate's income and mine combined are still below the allowable ceiling. When and how do I inform Penn South about the roommate? Will there be any problem introducing a new party? Thank you!

And you're asking these questions here instead of Penn South because?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:35 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
You can't be the sole mortgage holder and have a roommate. You either take an apartment or add the other person and you both have the apartment. I doubt 100% that they are going to give you an apartment under the conditions you outlined.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:31 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Affordable apts and not meant for those to have roommates, its meant for singles or families.
Stop trying to play the system.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:46 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I live in Penn South and you *can* have a roommate. Anyone who moves into Penn South with a cooperator who is a boyfriend or girlfriend is technically considered a roommate.

They will not be on the mortgage and I believe they would only pay half the common charges and half of the bills--so you couldn't charge them market rate. You would not be able to split the mortgage with them so financially it's hardly worth it IMO.

I checked on this awhile ago though and circumstances could have changed so check in with management. You want to make sure the situation is sanctioned by them, otherwise you are putting yourself at considerable risk.

This is a coop--not public housing so you are only "gaming the system" if you are charging them market rate or more than Penn South allows. If your combined income is where it should be and you are charging them according to Penn South's rules, you're actually helping out someone who would otherwise not be able to afford adequate housing.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:22 AM

Thank you Barkomatic, your answer was most helpful and actually the one that I finally got from Penn South yesterday. For anyone else's information - and I really don't understand the hostility above - it's not easy to get anyone at Penn South to talk to you. Also since it takes a few years to get called for an apartment, surprise surprise personal circumstances change, and yes I now have a roommate whom I do not want to live without. There is no "gaming." Thanks again Barkomatic, and to everyone else I hope you learn to have a better day.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Just close on the apartment, arrange a mortgage if you cannot pay cash, move in and THEN have your roommate/boyfriend move in with you.
WHen you file your annual recertification, make sure that you include your roomy's income. If you go over the max (probably near $100 G's) you will pay a maintenance surcharge up to 50%.

Don't bother pestering anyone with information before you file the recertification.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:24 PM

Thank you Kefir King we are both low income earners in public service, so we won't be over the limit. The mortgage is in process. I just hope I can qualify. I appreciate your reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: