U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-18-2008, 11:23 PM

23 posts, read 58,188 times

Advertisements

Also, one final question...Since I'm self employed, would it make a landlord feel better if I just paid like 6 months up front?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:50 PM

288 posts, read 808,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityFuture View Post
Also, one final question...Since I'm self employed, would it make a landlord feel better if I just paid like 6 months up front?
Yes...........

Old 03-19-2008, 05:56 AM

257 posts, read 891,985 times
If you have all this money why not just buy a condo or co-op so you don't have to pay someone else's mortgage?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 AM

23 posts, read 58,188 times
Because I don't want to stay but maybe 6-12 months...Not really wanting to live there for a long time...

Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 AM

7,897 posts, read 13,727,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityFuture View Post
Because I don't want to stay but maybe 6-12 months...Not really wanting to live there for a long time...
Look around for a whatchamacallit, a sublet.

You should be able to find something nice.

new york city sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

Old 03-19-2008, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,214 times
If you want a little it of quiet, you might wanna check out the Upper East Side area.. if you wanna b part of "the scene" or loud or just be in "the middle of it all" you might wanna check SoHo or Greenwich Village thats in the lower manhattan area..

hope i helped..

Old 03-20-2008, 02:11 AM

757 posts, read 2,291,433 times
Or for something that's not quite in the middle of it all but less staid than the UES, try the UWS. But if you end up on the UWS, don't expect to live the lifestyle of the folks on Seinfeld. Never understood how they afforded all those meals out or how the "Jerry" character (whose career was definitely not the big time in the show) could also afford his car.

Most characters in NYC-based shows (exc. maybe Miranda on S&tC, who's a lawyer in a big firm) are living far beyond their visible means.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:23 AM

7,128 posts, read 11,832,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Or for something that's not quite in the middle of it all but less staid than the UES, try the UWS. But if you end up on the UWS, don't expect to live the lifestyle of the folks on Seinfeld. Never understood how they afforded all those meals out or how the "Jerry" character (whose career was definitely not the big time in the show) could also afford his car.

Most characters in NYC-based shows (exc. maybe Miranda on S&tC, who's a lawyer in a big firm) are living far beyond their visible means.
It's funny but even when I see "King of Queens" I always wonder how a young couple, one of whom is a UPS driver and the other who is a secretary at a law firm, could afford to buy a house in a nice area of Queens and actually afford the mortgage payment. Sure, if they bought in 1997, or if their parents handed it down to them. But a house like that in my neighborhood is going to cost AT LEAST half a million and their income wouldn't seem to support that.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:23 AM

7,897 posts, read 13,727,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's funny but even when I see "King of Queens" I always wonder how a young couple, one of whom is a UPS driver and the other who is a secretary at a law firm, could afford to buy a house in a nice area of Queens and actually afford the mortgage payment. Sure, if they bought in 1997, or if their parents handed it down to them. But a house like that in my neighborhood is going to cost AT LEAST half a million and their income wouldn't seem to support that.
Depending on the law firm, some of those legal secretaries make a lot of money. In that case she would make quite a bit more than Doug, and Doug didn't seem like the type to handle that well. Probably one of the most insecure men ever depicted on TV.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:37 AM

2,901 posts, read 4,661,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You must not be from NY. First a long time UPS driver can make near 100K (tractor trailer long distance drivers) the one driving the smaller brown trucks, make as much as 75K. Realize they are unionized and UPS is a VERY profitable company. Their work rules are insane though---and most people can't make past the vetting. Once you do, and after some time, the drivers live a comfortable middle class life.

Also, the wife is a law secretary----a legal secretary in NYC at one of the top firms, can make upwards of a $150,000!!! $70k is about average for a well qualified and experienced legal secretary/assistant/word processor/paralegal----at a **top** firm!

Of course, maybe the wife works for a "store front" lawyer, in which salaries can be quite different.

Legal support staff requires specialized knowledge and an above average skill level. At a top firm the hours are also grueling, 10 to 12 hours a day on average---so add OT on top of the salary.

Oh and top firms operate 24/7 with round the clock shifts---they never close. Extremely demanding environments. Mistakes are not tolerated. The pay is quite commensurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City