Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

Tent & Trails on Park Pl does this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 08:06 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If you do shoplift, here's a hint. Don't shoplift Duane Reade.

I sat Grand Jury in Manhattan once. There are lots of small time drug dealer, one or two Macy's shoplifters (including an employee), and scads of Duane Reade shoplifters. They're serious about going after them and prosecuting. I also learned that there's huge secondary market for deodorant.

Duane Reade, Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc.. all are constantly hit by shoplifters and thus play hard ball on those caught.

Nail polish, feminine sanitary products, condoms, diapers, detergent, you name it and people steal it; often in bag/arms full.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ecinct-robbery

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ide-police-say

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...e-cvs-shoplift

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2...d-then-pay-up/

Duane Reade Shoplifter Brandishes Hypodermic Needles, Tells Employees He's HIV Positive: Gothamist

Tourist slashed trying to halt Duane Reade gum bandit | New York Post

To get an idea how many peeps are caught boosting stuff from DR, just look at the queries posted to this legal site: https://www.google.com/search?q=duan...iw=853&bih=578

Old 10-28-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If you do shoplift, here's a hint. Don't shoplift Duane Reade.

I sat Grand Jury in Manhattan once. There are lots of small time drug dealer, one or two Macy's shoplifters (including an employee), and scads of Duane Reade shoplifters. They're serious about going after them and prosecuting. I also learned that there's huge secondary market for deodorant.

There is a huge "secondary market" for every and anything consumer goods wise if it can be stolen.

Of course those who know or follow the "Mafia" know peeps have entire homes furnished with things that "fell off trucks". Their wardrobes are full of clothing that came same way, jewelry and so forth, ditto.

Telling scene in the Sopranos when Tony gets tipped off his home is going to be raided he and Carmella begin stashing stolen goods. As they complete that task Tony glances down at Carm's wedding rings, she gives him a look, and he shoots one back; Carm takes off her rings and they are stashed as well....

If you live in the other types of "hoods" including NYCHA projects nearly everyone knows who or where to go to for "stuff". Some darn apartments look just like a convenience store; merchandise varies by daily stock but you can find often everything from toilet paper to toothpaste.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:43 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Duane Reade, Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc.. all are constantly hit by shoplifters and thus play hard ball on those caught.
My sister worked at RA and they constantly bring in new employees because they have to fire so many for stealing. They even had the security at the front check the employees' bags when they left.

Well, when you pay like garbage, what do you expect. Even the pharmacy technicians there get paid minimum wage.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:00 AM

776 posts, read 955,929 times
A former live in girl friend was employed by a Private Investigation company here in Toronto.

Her entire work week was doing "crash tests " on cashiers at Shoppers Drug Mart stores all over Ontario.

The method was simple..two female PI's working together.

Number one goes up to the check out counter, with two large packages of baby diapers, with the EXACT amount of cash to cover the sale. She rushes through the sale and mumbles about "kids in the car " and leaves fast. Number two PI is next in line and she watches carefully.......to see if the cashier opens the cash register......or pockets the money, without ringing the sale.

The cashier either passes or fails the crash test. About 30 percent fail the test. If the cashier put the money in their pocket or in a hidden place in the cashier area, the PI calls the store owner on the phone from out side of the store , and the owner pulls the cashier into the office, with the head cashier as a witness. " Empty your pockets " results in being fired on the spot for theft. The store owner knows ahead of time about the PI's doing the crash test at the store that day.

When the sale of smokes was still legal in drug stores in Ontario, the bait was two cartons, worth about $80 at that time. Drop the exact cash on the cashier, and scoot, while number 2 PI watches the cash drawer.

XX>

Old 10-29-2017, 10:52 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
My local Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, and Duane Reade frequently have no one at the register at off peak hours like 9 am. They are often doing other things and I have to go looking for them to checkout. These are larger stores and often there is no employee within sight. I don't know how shoplifters don't take advantage of this. I've had to say in a loud voice "is anyone working here?". That doesn't always work and I've had to go all the way to the back of the store trying to track an employee down. It's very annoying.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My sister worked at RA and they constantly bring in new employees because they have to fire so many for stealing. They even had the security at the front check the employees' bags when they left.

Well, when you pay like garbage, what do you expect. Even the pharmacy technicians there get paid minimum wage.
Theft in retail is usually a larger issue from employees. That being said yes, it does seem Rite Aid stores in NYC have taken things to a whole new level.

Know the UES store on Second Avenue has been plagued by internal "shortage" issues since the day it opened. Mangers, assistant managers, clerks, cashiers... a constant parade of new faces every few months or so as someone is fired or whatever.

Every now and then Rite Aid does get some decent "rent a cops"; but there is a maddening policy of they are required to switch locations every several months or so. Sometimes the stores go without.

Oddly enough the DR across the street on other side of Second Avenue has had pretty much the same evening/overnight staff for years.

Still for straight up "hood" workers am sorry, CVS locations (at least the ones on UES) take the cake.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
My local Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, and Duane Reade frequently have no one at the register at off peak hours like 9 am. They are often doing other things and I have to go looking for them to checkout. These are larger stores and often there is no employee within sight. I don't know how shoplifters don't take advantage of this. I've had to say in a loud voice "is anyone working here?". That doesn't always work and I've had to go all the way to the back of the store trying to track an employee down. It's very annoying.

Myself and others have seen people walk/run out of the local RA with everything from arms of diapers to bottles of laundry detergent. A co-worker who lives on block came home one night to see a "brother" carrying several cases of Halloween candy just lifted from RA. He actually stopped in front of her building to ditch the cartons and pile his loot into bags.

During the day local RA is mobbed, and try not to go in because the lines take forever. At night or overnight is when you've got a bare bones staff, and yes suppose people could (or do) walk in steal.

Know lately this particular RA locks down from around 3AM until 7AM. According to signs the floors are being cleaned and doors are locked for customer safety. Well this RA has had those illegals with vans and buffers in the store overnight before, and never bothered to lock down, so wonder what has changed.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 PM

983 posts, read 931,862 times
The rite aid around the corner from me always has exactly one cashier, and about 15 people waiting on line.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:24 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
A certain Duane Reade called us once for a shoplifter about to leave the store. As I pulled up, he was running out. The tackle I threw down on that skell was epic. I knocked him back into the store, almost all the way through the vestible. Classic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City