Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three secondary downtowns do you prefer?
Downtown Brooklyn (including DUMBO) 33 55.93%
Long Island City 14 23.73%
Downtown Jersey City / Waterfront 12 20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
that is my point. No other neighborhood in the boroughs can be such a destination by itself.There are also many giant projects in the pipeline in Flushing, not only residential but also retail,
like Tangram, Flushing commons and Willet Point
And just being near Flushing and its somewhat satellites have its benefits too. I live in Northeast Queens and even over here we are served by the food deliver start ups in Flushing. There are apps in the Apple app store specifically dedicated to delivering food from Flushing to select areas with high Asian populations in Queens. I can order a mix match of food from multiple Flushing restaurants all within an app and just pay a 15% surcharge plus a buck fifty for each additional restaurant that I order from. Though the delivery time is a bit slow for now since I think the founders of the app are delivering a lot of the food themselves. Weird seeing your food delivered by a Range Rover.

One thing that I can't wait to try in Flushing is the new 4d movie theater that's being opened by a large South Korean company.

http://qns.com/story/2017/10/17/cine...flushing-2018/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 10:33 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
IMO, Flushing has got them all beat. And there isn't a close second. Downtown Brooklyn, LIC and JC are all blah. All they got is proximity to Manhattan. Flushing is quickly becoming a separate city in itself.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:35 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,059 times
I noted in Flushing there is a wave of new restaurants opening, which are the latest high-end brands imported from China to replace those dirty and stupid old-style restaurants opened by China town folks

Old 10-31-2017, 11:53 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
IMO, Flushing has got them all beat. And there isn't a close second. Downtown Brooklyn, LIC and JC are all blah. All they got is proximity to Manhattan. Flushing is quickly becoming a separate city in itself.
What Brooklyn, LIC, and JC all have in common is large investors pouring money into the areas to flush out the locals. Success is strictly measured by how fast and how much they are able to get rid of all the local minorities save for the ones that become house rich. So if you're not a transplant there paying market rate rent and don't own you can start packing your bags because you're definitely an undesirable. If you look at JC, which I consider the oldest of the three into this modernization experiment, it is largely still an office park. You can literally go to Exchange place by the water and count the number of people you see walking in the streets on any nice weekend with your hands. Most of the restaurants are at least half empty on weekends since most people either go into Manhattan for a nice brunch or drive to other places in NJ. Definitely not vibrant at all despite all the expensive condos used as roomshares for young people working in NYC. It's especially popular with the H1B crowd from South Asia who's primary reason for living there is to save paying the nyc income tax.

Flushing is all built by the people for the people and not corporations hence you won't see it get hyped up with implied promises of flushing out the undesirable minorities (AKA up and coming). In Brooklyn, LIC, and JC it's basically understood by investors that if you don't like the local people that you see walking in the streets don't worry they'll be all gone soon, Flushing not so much since what is already there is the draw. So if you don't like that dude riding his bike with the radio blasting in downtown Brooklyn, poof gone into the ghetto oblivion far away they hope!, don't like that crowded street stand selling fruits in Flushing then too bad don't buy there cause they don't need your money anyway. In Flushing the buildup is largely due to the demand from the residents and there are no attempts to flush out the local populace by large investors. The demand is so strong that for the last few years condos in Flushing has consistently been among the best selling in all of NYC. Just one of the towers at Skyview parc alone sold close to 100 units in the recent quarter.

https://www.propertyshark.com/Real-E...-nyc-buildings

Last edited by bumblebyz; 10-31-2017 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 11:17 PM

954 posts, read 939,232 times
Yeah, you know all the cool kids are just tripping over each other to go and hang out in flushing.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:23 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Yeah, you know all the cool kids are just tripping over each other to go and hang out in flushing.
Flushing is cool for what it is of course, but I sense a little bit of racial arrogance from Bumblebyz

Williamsburg IMO is more of a cultural center as it draws people of all backgrounds, Flushing seems to be very Asian centric

Old 11-01-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Flushing is cool for what it is of course, but I sense a little bit of racial arrogance from Bumblebyz

Williamsburg IMO is more of a cultural center as it draws people of all backgrounds, Flushing seems to be very Asian centric
When I brought Flushing into the conversation I also did Williamsburg. These are the two outerboro neighborhoods that has got it going on.

Downtown Brooklyn, LIC and JC got nothing more than accessibility into the city, high-rise residential, and corporate office parks. Boring.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
A ton of people go into Flushing from other neighborhoods to hang out. Aside from Williamsburg, I'd say more so than any other non-Manhattan neighborhood.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:47 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
When I brought Flushing into the conversation I also did Williamsburg. These are the two outerboro neighborhoods that has got it going on.

Downtown Brooklyn, LIC and JC got nothing more than accessibility into the city, high-rise residential, and corporate office parks. Boring.
The waterfront brings out a lot of people, especially Brooklyn Bridge Park. For the downtown Brooklyn area, there’s also still a good deal of shopping, though changing, on Fulton Street and people coming in for events at BAM and Barclays Center.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:30 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,648 times
Maybe I'm biased but of course it would be the Downtown Brooklyn/Dumbo area. Was just in Shake Shack the other day and happen to strike a conversation with some German tourists, they barely spoke English but their first stop was Shake Shack??.and they were ready to call it a night... I was like huh you haven't seen nothing yet, make your way down Brooklyn Heights, into Dumbo and than hit Brooklyn Bridge Park than go back to your Manhattan hotel...LOL
I'm amazed how they just keep building and building down there....

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 11-01-2017 at 07:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City