Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 08:09 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTINsf View Post
Spanish/English is a language that can be learned.
If you are poor you can become rich.
But if you are Black you cannot be White.
This is White privilege.
KristinSF, you are full of sh*t. Why are you trying to make it seem like you are black in this thread? You managed to completely avoid answering what race you are. In another thread you say you are "100% Chinese American"

Are you trying to say you know what it's like for people to fear you when get on an elevator with them? Yeah, everyone's afraid of Chinese-American women. Right.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ml#post2811243

Quote:
My cousin is straight from Toishan. She and three of her family members live in a decent (that's how she puts it) apartment in Chinatown. I, on the other hand, am 100% Chinese-American. If they ain't letting me in the door, they sure as hell ain't letting you in! I just have to be blunt, 'cause a lot of people out here in San Francisco want to live in the cheap housing in Chinatown. It's just not happening!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:36 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
An Asian female?? Wow, talk about the kind of person who is LEAST likely to steal your purse/wallet!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:53 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,142 times
I am shocked,,,Kristin is chinese??
I dont get it.. you shouldnt have any trouble being chinese.
Usually people see them as hard working and intelligent people, and not criminals.
I bet my life I have received more racist comments, looks and attitude compared to you.
And you have way more "white privilege" then me.
how come you understand "white privilege" and I dont??

Old 05-18-2008, 10:24 AM

341 posts, read 902,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
You arguments just get more ridiculous. I guarantee you there are loads of white poor people who would trade places with Cuba, or Oprah, or whomever, and be totally satisfied with there decision.

If you were making the argument that racism still exist and that wealthy people have advantages in life, I would agree with you.

But to say that a really poor white person has more advantages than a wealthy person of color just b/c of something called "white privilege" just is not true. If you polled 100 people in times square and said you can be born a very wealthy person of color or a dirt poor white person, I guarantee you they would say a person of color.
So you're telling me, a millionaire Black man (all suited up), can hail a cab in this city with no problem???

Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,142 times
Quote:
So you're telling me, a millionaire Black man (all suited up), can hail a cab in this city with no problem???
I would say YES...

Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
This statement makes a good point. When money becomes the issue, unity within the race often takes a back seat. There is a good deal of "black-on-black" crime where money or material goods are the focus.

So...some things may not be all they claim to be.
Classic case of have and have not.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
An Asian female?? Wow, talk about the kind of person who is LEAST likely to steal your purse/wallet!
Did you ever bother to read what p.o.c stands for? People of color?If you do not understand what this term means, than allow me to school you.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:32 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I would say YES...
And I concur; a well-dressed black man in a nice area of the city will have no problem hailing a cab. One of my best friends is a very well-off black person and he has no problems with this. However, I agree that if he dressed like a thug and tried to get a Pakistani cab driver to pick him up in the middle of the night in East New York, he might have a problem. I think that a well-dressed black person can hail a cab much more easily than a non-black person that appears to be poor.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I am shocked,,,Kristin is chinese??
I dont get it.. you shouldnt have any trouble being chinese.
Usually people see them as hard working and intelligent people, and not criminals.
I bet my life I have received more racist comments, looks and attitude compared to you.
And you have way more "white privilege" then me.
how come you understand "white privilege" and I dont??
Since you are White (I am assuming because you did not state otherwise), having the privilege is like the air you breath. You will not know you are missing it 'till it is gone.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I would say YES...
And you know this 'cause...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City