U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2008, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Ocean County, NJ
191 posts, read 618,370 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
So is Black/non-White on White crime high in the city? I was under the impression it was relatively low. Stats anyone? Because if I am correct in my assumption, White people really have no reason to be scared of entering non-White neighborhoods besides their own misconceptions and ingrained fears.
The key word is relative. Relative to WHAT? to the 80s? yea, crime is way down and so is black on white crime. but playing to the stats, a white person (or any person for that fact) is far more likely to be the victim of a crime in a black area than a white area. Im not going to bother posting stats, as neighborhood crime indexes have been posted many times.
Also i hate the fact that everything gets colored into black/white and not green/not green as it should be, but it is what it is.

 
Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Mott Haven
2,978 posts, read 721,779 times
Reputation: 209
Alan B I am a lifelong resident of the inner city communities that you speak of and you could not be more wrong. The reason why blacks have a much easier time going into white neighborhoods THESE days is because of people like Sharpton who were loud and annoying enough to put a real penalty to that sort of behavior. You can bet that if there were no Sharpton ever Blacks would be far worse off in this city and would be much more openly harassed and assaulted. Believe it.

I don't see how gentrification supports your argument. There are white people moving into colored communities and I have yet to see any of the scary stories of attacks and violence that people kept pushing. Where is it? You can bet that if a white female or male were attacked as a hate crime it would make news across this city. Believe it....but I don't see it. Why is that?

And for that matter....you would think that blacks would be attacking all the young white female teachers that go in and out of these "bad" and "dangerous" communities via public transportation on a daily basis..yet NO such things occur...as in ever. Why is that? Clearly they should be attacked and beaten right?

The reverse racism that you speak of is oftentimes dismissed as no big deal because you are comparing the RARE (extremely rare in this city) circumstance of a white guy getting attacked/killed by a black guy versus the 500 years or hatred, death, and organized and encouraged violence of whites against blacks. See the difference?

And if you knew your history of NYC, the 50s and 60s saw just as much violence, hate, and attacks from whites on blacks with the excuse of "protecting their neighborhoods"...it was as bad, and systematic in employment, housing, and education as the South.
 
Old 03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
7,527 posts, read 12,722,134 times
Reputation: 2209
But it's not just White people that need to be scared in a really bad neighborhood. A ****ty neighborhood is a ****ty neighborhood. In fact a person of color is a lot more likely to be a victim of a crime in such neighborhoods than a White person. Being White does not dramatically increase your chances of a crime being committed against you. Some people seem to walk around believing that.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-18-2008 at 03:21 PM..
 
Old 03-18-2008, 03:46 PM
 
6,635 posts, read 10,724,296 times
Reputation: 3781
This thread on a bushwick blog talks about exactly what you guys are discussing - if you are white in a black neighborhood, are you more of a target for attacks (alot of people are being attacked in Bushwick)
another assault
 
Old 03-18-2008, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Mott Haven
2,978 posts, read 721,779 times
Reputation: 209
I would take alot of those claims of assault with a grain of salt, as alot of people just make stuff up to prove a point OR (as has been witnessed on this board) some whites believe they are the target of black people, so any black person looking in their direction is interpreted as a "mean look", or "they wanted to attack me" "they clearly did not want me there." The fear is internal and it is being projected onto local residents...although there are probably some dummies actually giving them the evil eye.
 
Old 03-18-2008, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Ocean County, NJ
191 posts, read 618,370 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Alan B I am a lifelong resident of the inner city communities that you speak of and you could not be more wrong. The reason why blacks have a much easier time going into white neighborhoods THESE days is because of people like Sharpton who were loud and annoying enough to put a real penalty to that sort of behavior. You can bet that if there were no Sharpton ever Blacks would be far worse off in this city and would be much more openly harassed and assaulted. Believe it.
agreed.
I think the problem arises when white people want to go into a black neighborhood. Who makes it easy for them? (besides pricing everyone but whites out of the area) Because let me tell you, i dont know one white area where i can get some good oxtail or curry goat! Well, there is this street cart down in the financial district that is awesome, but i work in midtown.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I don't see how gentrification supports your argument. There are white people moving into colored communities and I have yet to see any of the scary stories of attacks and violence that people kept pushing. Where is it? You can bet that if a white female or male were attacked as a hate crime it would make news across this city. Believe it....but I don't see it. Why is that?
You asked why there werent any posts of blacks asking if a white area was safe. My point was that there probably arent that many blacks actually moving into a white area to bring up that question. In addition, due to sharpton and the publicity, most blacks know what areas to avoid for the most part. Many of the posts i see on the board asking if a certain area is OK is from white people NOT from the city asking if a certain "hotspot" is really safe enough for them to get in on the ground floor.
As for a white person getting attacked and it being labeled as a hate crime, theres the problem. They dont label black on white crime as HATE. Thats kind of the case-in-point regarding my question on reverse-racism. Theres nothing reverse about it.. racism is raciscm. hate is hate, but our PC nature dictates that there is some sort of difference.
For instance. Lets say a group of white thugs is about to jump a black guy. What might you hear? you can almost guarantee all the whites will shout kill that *****, black mofo, etc. They beat his ass and rob him. TODAY, Thats a hate crime.

Now switch. Do you really think the black thugs will shout kill the caucasion or european american? or will the words white boy, white mofo, cracka, etc be shouted. They then beat his ass and rob him. TODAY, Thats not a hate crime.

Whats the difference between the 2 scenarios? A few more years in state prison for the white thugs for committing a hate crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
And for that matter....you would think that blacks would be attacking all the young white female teachers that go in and out of these "bad" and "dangerous" communities via public transportation on a daily basis..yet NO such things occur...as in ever. Why is that? Clearly they should be attacked and beaten right?
So you're saying that teachers have never been threatened, beaten, harassed, robbed, intimidated, both on AND off school grounds? cars havent been keyed, windows havent been broken? are you serious? Perhaps they haven't been jumped and gang-raped on the corner for the public amusement of the masses, but do you really think NOTHING happens.. as in ever??
When i was a kid, there was a few high-school security guards. Those guys didnt even carry nightsticks. I believe they have NYPD guarding high-schools now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
The reverse racism that you speak of is oftentimes dismissed as no big deal because you are comparing the RARE (extremely rare in this city) circumstance of a white guy getting attacked/killed by a black guy versus the 500 years or hatred, death, and organized and encouraged violence of whites against blacks. See the difference?
i guess i dont see how comparing 500 years of oppression to a black on white crime and then dismissing the latter as trivial makes it not racism, or reverse. So i guess any crime against a woman is a hate crime too, since they've been oppressed, killed, raped, and violated against for umm well forever. Thats even longer than the jews!

To a certain point, the high level of segregation is what makes nyc safe and unsafe at the same time.
If black on white crime is so rare, its merely the effect of bundling everyone that looks the same (or in reality everyone in the same financial class) into designated areas, and then learning not to traverse certain lines in the city. Unfortunately while it keeps the black(poor)/black(poor) crime level high and the black/white crime levels rare (you really think black/white crime is RARE?) it does nothing to promote equality amongst all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
And if you knew your history of NYC, the 50s and 60s saw just as much violence, hate, and attacks from whites on blacks with the excuse of "protecting their neighborhoods"...it was as bad, and systematic in employment, housing, and education as the South.
I dont see what that has to do with the classification of crimes as hate/not hate. Its kind of like sexism/reverse sexism, but thats for another thread.

ps. thanks for the intelligent dialog.. its nice to learn speak with people on their point of views
 
Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Ocean County, NJ
191 posts, read 618,370 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
But it's not just White people that need to be scared in a really bad neighborhood. A ****ty neighborhood is a ****ty neighborhood. In fact a person of color is a lot more likely to be a victim of a crime in such neighborhoods than a White person. Being White does not dramatically increase your chances of a crime being committed against you. Some people seem to walk around believing that.
The reason a black person is more likely to be a victim in a black neighborhood is simply because they are there more often. If crime is VERY high in an area, and i LIVE there, the chance of me being a victim of a crime is VERY high. You seriously cant tell me that a white dude walking thru the projects on a friday night isnt going to get at LEAST harassed for being there. Especially if they look like they dont belong there.. Lets be realistic about it. the white person MIGHT not get the crap kicked out of him straight off, but its pretty doubtful that not one single black guy (and its usually not one, but 3 or more) isnt gonna step to him and check whats up.

To this, most blacks will say, well, what the heck was he doin in the projects on a friday night?? he shoulda known better!
And the PC white people will say.... THE SAME THING!
 
Old 03-18-2008, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 100 Precinct
9,676 posts, read 16,873,031 times
Reputation: 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This thread on a bushwick blog talks about exactly what you guys are discussing - if you are white in a black neighborhood, are you more of a target for attacks (alot of people are being attacked in Bushwick)
another assault
i know bushwick was bad but damn
a lot of threads on there are about robberies
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
 
Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Wrong side of the Hudson
508 posts, read 1,376,252 times
Reputation: 264
According to some on this board ethnic neighborhoods should stay ethnic forever, nothing new should ever be built in these neighborhoods, no newcomers should ever move there, and no amenities should ever be added. If they get their way, Guy, you may have no choice but to go to Bensonhurst to get a slice of pizza or some pasta. Make sure to bring a weapon to protect yourself from roving gangs of Whites.
 
Old 03-18-2008, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
7,527 posts, read 12,722,134 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan B 718 View Post
The reason a black person is more likely to be a victim in a black neighborhood is simply because they are there more often. If crime is VERY high in an area, and i LIVE there, the chance of me being a victim of a crime is VERY high. You seriously cant tell me that a white dude walking thru the projects on a friday night isnt going to get at LEAST harassed for being there. Especially if they look like they dont belong there.. Lets be realistic about it. the white person MIGHT not get the crap kicked out of him straight off, but its pretty doubtful that not one single black guy (and its usually not one, but 3 or more) isnt gonna step to him and check whats up.

To this, most blacks will say, well, what the heck was he doin in the projects on a friday night?? he shoulda known better!
And the PC white people will say.... THE SAME THING!
Your example of a white dude walking through the projects is such a bad example. It's not practical. The projects on a Friday night are dangerous period, for anyone, especially anyone who is not from those projects or known on those streets. Any person from any background with decent street smarts is not gonna do that. Who the heck just randomly walks into the projects on a Friday night? Hmm, I wonder if I can get some good Thai here.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-18-2008 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top