Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 08:11 AM

882 posts, read 1,369,473 times

Advertisements

So I had my interview yesterday as well. Ditto to everything NativeBagel says above!

There's a sign in the front that says "we do not accept money orders past 4 PM." I got there at 3 PM since SmallTownKid advised me about this beforehand. The woman at the front desk wouldn't take my money order, even though i was there early, because she said I'd have to wait to be seen by an interviewer and qualify first (fair!). So I'm making another trip out there today to drop off the money order and documents. There's also a sign up front that says "Please be advised that you may not be seen at your scheduled appointment time." Very true! I got called by an interviewer about 20 minutes past my interview time (so why even make appointments?) So plan to stay longer than the advertised 30 minutes.

My advice is to schedule your interview before 3 PM so that you don't have to make an additional trip. You'd get your receipt for the money order right then and there and you can fax or email the student affidavit and employment verification forms to them. However, as someone mentioned on this thread, they may be slow to print out your emails so it may be better to just deliver the hard copies in person to keep the ball rolling without any potential delays, you can be the judge of what's best for you.

$25 money order if you fall in the 50 or 60 AMI, $50 money order for the 120, 130 and 165 AMIs. The building is about 2 long blocks away from the E train stop at Sutphin Blvd/Archer avenue. 1 block from the LIRR. There's also a Met Supermarket a block away for quick groceries. I saw the big empty lot next to the building that does have a lot of trash and litter. I wonder what they're planning to put there. I'll bet that lot won't be vacant for much longer especially with Alvista right next door. Took me a under and hour to get there from Midtown Manhattan so my commute estimate was right. And now we wait! good luck to all of those with interviews coming up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,320 times
My interview was this morning and although I thought I had all my documents they made me a list of things that I had to return with, including my 1040’s from 2016 and 2017, 3 rent reciepts, my son’s daycare letter, and two new documents that they gave me, a student status affidavit letter which needs to be notarized and an emplyment verification. I will be returning next week with the documents and the $25 money order.

When I arrived at the interview they requested my last 6 pay stubs and immediately told me the two income brackets that I qualified for, he told me to make a first and second choice to better my chances of landing an apartment. He said I should expect to hear a reply in 4-6 weeks, and that the building is expected to be finished in the summer.
The exterior of the building seems to be finished, and there are a lot of workers on the project

Old 04-13-2018, 01:46 PM

68 posts, read 120,619 times
Default Question Regarding Income Range

Hi all,

I should've informed everyone more specifically on the items the interviewer requested to save everyone from making a 2nd trip.

I had a question since this is my first lottery.

During the interview process they looked at my 2017 tax filing and my 6 most recent pay stubs.

They determined that my annual income is ~$57,000 from my paystubs, higher than my tax filing as I didn't work a full year. I've gotten a raise since then.

I would prefer a 1 bedroom over the studio but the interviewer informed me that I only qualify for the 120/130% AMI Studio ($1321/$1593). Salary will only increase from now and I expect a larger bonus this year (didn't work a full year last year). The interview told me that the bonus did not count as income. However, I've read on other threads that their interviewer did include their bonus which also made them ineligible for any brackets.

My bonus last year for partial year was ~3k which would boost me up in the range of a 1 bedroom $59-80k.

The range for 120/130% is very large and if they include my guaranteed bonus/raise, I will qualify for 1Bdrm at 120% ami in addition to the studios. If I am chosen for the studios, can I negotiate with the building/management for a 1 Bdrm?

If I can't, does anyone know if there will be any difference between 120/130% AMI Studios?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by SmallTownKidInABigCity; 04-13-2018 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 09:46 PM

158 posts, read 251,107 times
@SmallTownKidInABigCity

If they look at the current year income (2018), then they should match it with the new updated AMI for 2018, not 2017. This is what I believe, and this is only fair. I took a look at the new 2018 AMIs and the income brackets have changed. For example, the 60% AMI limit for a family of 3 was $51,540 for 2017, when it is $56,340 for 2018. Let me know what you think. Here is the link:
Income Eligibility | New York City Housing Development Corporation

Last edited by thunderblue; 04-13-2018 at 10:33 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 09:55 PM

So it looks like there are contradicting information given out from the same source. I was interviewed a few days ago, and I had to make a 2nd trip with additional documents. During the interview, I was told that the building will be complete and ready in July or August. On my 2nd trip in a week, I asked the same question to a different representative, and she said it'll be complete in December!

Old 04-13-2018, 10:22 PM

Hi all, I have three questions. I would appreciate your answers, or opinions.

1. Let's say after examining all the documents, the interviewer told an applicant that they fall in a certain income bracket and qualify for a 2 bedroom apartment. They just needed to bring back a few documents. Then all documents will be sent to NYC (HDP/HDC). My question is, what is the possibility that NYC will reject the applicant if if s/he genuinely falls in the income bracket advertised, credit is excellent (760+), no negative things the credit history, no evictions, no criminal records or arrests, and supplied every document they had asked for? In other words, if the marketing agent or building management thinks that the applicant will make a good tenant, do they even need NYC's approval?

2. In light of the first question, does HDP or HDC even have ample quality time to review every file they receive after the interviews? I read in a report from "CUNY academic works" that the HDP or HDC only properly reviews a file when there is a rejection and the applicant disagrees or appeals. And even if they review, they only do a sample review of the approved applicants, not all.

3. Who runs the credit check if the applicant appears to be eligible?

Really appreciate your thoughts/replies. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2018, 09:06 PM

68 posts, read 120,619 times
Area median income is not a set amount for every part of the city? Manhattan area income is greater than Jamaica's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderblue View Post
@SmallTownKidInABigCity

If they look at the current year income (2018), then they should match it with the new updated AMI for 2018, not 2017. This is what I believe, and this is only fair. I took a look at the new 2018 AMIs and the income brackets have changed. For example, the 60% AMI limit for a family of 3 was $51,540 for 2017, when it is $56,340 for 2018. Let me know what you think. Here is the link:
Income Eligibility | New York City Housing Development Corporation

Old 04-15-2018, 03:50 PM

47 posts, read 69,363 times
Default Confusing

Is there a contact to verify the proper information? I was told August as well. There must be a way to figure out the truth of it. Maybe the building is scheduled to be done by end of July, early August and they are tacking on those extra months for nyc certification.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 AM

12 posts, read 24,244 times
Hello all,

I would like to inquire about the status of my application for this building. Does anyone have the email to management? Thanks!

Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 AM

35 posts, read 67,474 times
If on the application you were living with a family member but now are homeless due to unfortunate circumstances will that disqualify you? Also do they wait until all interviews are conducted and whoever is approved do they start the leasing process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery