Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 09:28 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
With all due respect you'd have to be living under a rock not to know the why and how that forces developers to create these units.
Even that's not affordable in NYC....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 10:08 AM

593 posts, read 470,530 times
This program is basically welfare for the middle class. One tenant described in the article already had housing and does not require government assistance. Why the hell are we paying for this?

For example, Ms. Stein, who is paying $895 for a luxury one-bedroom, stated: "I'm coming from a fourth-floor walkup that was far from the subway." So now we're paying so someone doesn't have to live in a walkup and walk a distance to the subway?

Ms. Rivera is a bridal consultant with a husband and son who pays $648 for her luxury apartment. Why does someone with her own business and a husband require public assistance?

This is not an appropriate use of taxpayer dollars. The money should be going to people who are truly incapable of housing themselves (i.e. severely physically or mentally disabled with no family support). And such housing should be as barebones as possible and put in areas where land is cheap to maximize the number of people helped.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:27 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
From a behavioral economics standpoint getting an apt like this starts to dictate the choices one makes in in order to keep said apt.
I bet most just scam though rather than make choices such as staying under employed or turning down promotions, etc.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:36 AM

85 posts, read 154,141 times
How is the girl paying $2170 a month for a 1 bed in 'Prospect Heights' a good deal? Isn't that what market rate rent is out there anyway? Maybe I am out of touch but that doesn't seem like much of a steal

Old 11-04-2017, 07:35 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I bet most just scam though rather than make choices such as staying under employed or turning down promotions, etc.
Once they have the apartment there's no need to scam. You're right that there is a lot of scamming going on in order to get the apartment. Assets in relatives names, undeclared income/assets, "separated" couples, young adults with help from parents (as Acquarius mentioned) etc.

However, don't underestimate the amount of people who don't try to better themselves but just hope to win an affordable lottery. If making $5 or $10K extra (in the short and medium term) disqualifies an individual from entering most lotteries, why would they ever try to make more?

Even if it takes 10 years to get an apartment, the financial benefit of getting said apartment far outweighs the marginal extra income that that individual will earn in their lifetime. In essence, these lottery apartments is the government gifting individuals at least $500K+ over their lifetime.

It's a perverted program.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 11-04-2017 at 07:45 PM..

Old 11-04-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitlisted212 View Post
How is the girl paying $2170 a month for a 1 bed in 'Prospect Heights' a good deal? Isn't that what market rate rent is out there anyway? Maybe I am out of touch but that doesn't seem like much of a steal
If market rate is $3,000+ than $2170 is a steal. Furthermore, that apartment is a rent stabilized apartment not subject to market rate increases. Last time I checked, 30% off, is a deal. Anywhere. On anything.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
90% of these buildings are in areas I wouldn't even consider. And the rent is still damn high for the income requirements. Some of these are asking for a max before tax income of $34,000 and yet you still pay $1k per month to rent a studio? You'll be in the poor house.
Let's think through this logically. In a worst case scenario, a childless individual making $34K is, in 99% of cases, not paying more than 10% total in Federal, State, and City taxes combined. That leaves about $30K of income.

40% of income on rent in a luxury building in a prime location (for most of them) with a guaranteed rent stabilized apartment with a 20+ year lease is high? What are you smoking? Rent is by far the highest fixed expense in NYC. Almost everything else is negligible compared to rent.

Furthermore, once you get an apartment, there are no income restrictions. Feel free to make as much money as you wish.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
From a lottery thread on this board.

Quote:
Basically we were told we made too much. Negative income is not taken as negative but rather just logged as zero. My husband has his own business and has big losses but they didn't affect our income. My income put us above the guidelines but apparently it is NET income not gross so I put my appeal in with the net, which qualifies us.

HOWEVER, we were also denied for insufficient self-employment history. Apparently if you are self-employed and freelance you need to have two years of that in order to meet the guidelines. Which is ridiculous. I went freelance in Dec and my husband started his business a year and a half ago and we both bring in paychecks-sporadically yes, but consistently-but supposedly that doesn't count. Difvthr best I could to fight that in my appeal letter but who knows.
Why do I have a feeling that as soon as they win an apartment, the husband will cease operating his "business" with "big losses" and simply get a job that provides a steady paycheck.

Does it make any sense that a supposes low income couple has a spouse thats operating a business that loses money?

Just another example of how the affordable housing lottery is perverted.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:47 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
exactamundo. The problem is that we are all now privy of it and everyone is trying to work the system. why not? fix the system before screaming at people trying to secure a life. This is a thorny issue that no one feels comfortable talking about, but when you get scammers gloating about their subsidized apartments, well expect HELL from it. Everyone knows there's a lot of shade in this process, but let's expose it now for what it's worth.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
exactamundo. The problem is that we are all now privy of it and everyone is trying to work the system. why not? fix the system before screaming at people trying to secure a life. This is a thorny issue that no one feels comfortable talking about, but when you get scammers gloating about their subsidized apartments, well expect HELL from it. Everyone knows there's a lot of shade in this process, but let's expose it now for what it's worth.
The process is perverse but even a perfect system can be scammed. That's why a system like this should be all or nothing or have no income thresholds at all.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 11-05-2017 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City