Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 07:13 PM

16 posts, read 15,122 times

Advertisements

Recently got hired for a self employed gig. How do I prove that for a housing connect apartment???? Anybody dealt with this before...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 07:18 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,854,441 times
um. your tax returns, duh. but how does one "get hired" for a self employed gig? Did you look in the mirror and say YEAH BABY! ?!

Old 11-03-2017, 07:22 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,866 times
No one hires you for self-employment. Are you doing freelance or contract work?

Tax returns are about the only way to prove it.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:33 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justicejustice View Post
Recently got hired for a self employed gig. How do I prove that for a housing connect apartment???? Anybody dealt with this before...
They will ask for your tax returns, 1099 and other sources that prove income. This along with the rest of the vast amount of documents required such as bank statements and so forth.

Google is your friend, this topic has been discussed ad nauseam in the past: https://www.google.com/search?q=self...ih=561&dpr=1.5

Old 11-03-2017, 07:46 PM

16 posts, read 15,122 times
That’s the issue I just started so I don’t have tax returns to prove it.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:51 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
I'm sure if you ask the agent who contacted you, he will tell you what constitutes proof in your case.

When I applied for an apartment many years ago with my freelancer husband, he had to have the guy who hired him write a letter, saying that he would be giving my husband work, and it would be paying such and such an amount. The letter may have to be notarized.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:36 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I'm sure if you ask the agent who contacted you, he will tell you what constitutes proof in your case.

When I applied for an apartment many years ago with my freelancer husband, he had to have the guy who hired him write a letter, saying that he would be giving my husband work, and it would be paying such and such an amount. The letter may have to be notarized.

That is where things get blurred and often messy; freelance workers are different than independent contractors. Though the terms are used interchangeably the differences matter in all sorts of ways from taxes on down.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...ractor-defined

Old 11-03-2017, 10:11 PM

59 posts, read 64,872 times
Have you been working in similar field in years past? Typically self employed people need two years of taxes to show consistent income.

It sounds to me that you have to guarantee of what you will make in the next 12 years.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:17 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That is where things get blurred and often messy; freelance workers are different than independent contractors. Though the terms are used interchangeably the differences matter in all sorts of ways from taxes on down.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...ractor-defined
That passage you linked to discusses whether a person is an independent contractor vs. an employee, not an independent contractor vs. a freelancer:

People such as doctors, dentists, veterinarians, lawyers, accountants, contractors, subcontractors, public stenographers, or auctioneers who are in an independent trade, business, or profession in which they offer their services to the general public are generally independent contractors. However, whether these people are independent contractors or employees depends on the facts in each case. The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done. The earnings of a person who is working as an independent contractor are subject to Self-Employment Tax.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:16 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justicejustice View Post
We don't believe you but I have to admit it's a clever way to game the system.

This is exactly what we were talking about in a different thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City