Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 09:35 AM

85 posts, read 154,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinpointpennington View Post
Hi Waitlisted212, I'm on the waitlist from a couple of years back and my number should be called for next summer. Can I ask you what the process was like once you received the letter that your number came up on the waitlist? What kind of financial documents did they ask for? The 3rd person in my group of three might put us over, since he has some assets (house, retirement savings).
no problem. we got a letter saying our number was up, and to call and schedule an appointment to view some open apartments (there was just 1 at the time - sometimes there can be more). After you meet with management and view the apartment they'll give you all of the application documents and tell you exactly what they need from you. Credit and background check, and proof of income from all 3 people. They'll do a small deduction if you are a little over - I forget by how much - but we were slightly over with all 3 people and they applied a small deduction and we were good. I feel like that is fair because the income requirements go off of gross income, not net. After deductions I take home about 60% of what my on-paper salary is. I'm not sure how assets play into everything because unfortunately (or fortunately?) we didn't have anything besides pay stubs/job letters and the money in our checking account. The asset review has been discussed on here in other threads and it also may be on the HPD mitchell lama FAQ online.

From there it can take 4-6 weeks for your application to be processed. Maybe even longer. I think it took almost 2 months for us. It's gotta be approved by Big 6 management and HPD. Then they'll call you and let you know if you're approved. Then you wait a little bit for them to turn your unit over and release it to you. That took a while for us, maybe another 3 months. The maintenance crew at big 6 is great, and they handle day to day stuff from residents and also have to turn over vacant units, which there are a lot of as far as I know, so the turn over can take a while. THEN they call you and say the apartment is ready and you schedule a time (sooner than later) to pick up the keys and give them the money for the buy-in. I would say it took almost 6 months from the time where we originally met with management to view an apartment until the day that we turned in the $ and picked up our keys

My advice is that as soon as you put your official application in and you're confident that it's a strong app and you'll be approved, get the money in order and be ready to liquidate it as soon as they call to say your apartment is ready. My experience happened over the holidays so that could be a reason as to why things took so long. It could be quicker for you. We were praying every day biting our nails waiting for the application results. And standing by the phone for the following months waiting for them to call and say our unit was ready. We probably had the big 6 management wanting to kill us, calling and asking roundabout questions to get them to give us an idea of how long it'll be LOL.

good luck with everything. It really is a great place to live. Woodside is a really cool neighborhood and big 6 itself has amazing management and really good maintenance guys, real strong sense of community there with all of the residents.

For everyone else asking about getting selected - no matter how you applied for the lotto either online or postcard, you'll get an official letter in the mail from the management company letting you know your log number and what the next steps are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 09:51 PM

37 posts, read 97,054 times
I was lucky enough to get picked for the 3 bedroom Washington Sq East. Mid 100's #.
So excited and hoping the wait isn't too long!

Old 02-04-2018, 11:00 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
Waitlisted212, thanks for the informative post. So, from the date you applied (on housing connect, or through the mail,) to move in , how long was that process?

I have lived along the 7 line most of my life, but I used to drive through there for years, and never realized it was ML. I always thought it was co op buildings, with a 10 minutes walk to the 7 train. The co ops after the cemetery, is how I always described it.

I have tried contacting the government agencies , to correct my mailing zip code, buy cant get anywhere. How many apartments do they have available?

Old 02-05-2018, 06:37 PM

23 posts, read 40,569 times
Default I got mid 100 log number for 3 bedroom

I don’t remember when I applied for it, but I have family of 3 not 5!
How come that we qualified for it,.
ok:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMi View Post
I was lucky enough to get picked for the 3 bedroom Washington Sq East. Mid 100's #.
So excited and hoping the wait isn't too long!

Old 02-05-2018, 07:34 PM

You qualify for a family of 3: if you are a parent or legal guardian and have two children of the opposite sex.

I fall into this category. Boy and girl - toddler ages.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:32 PM

Thank you.
But my family of 3: is me, spouse and a child.
So I don’t qualify, but I received a letter.
I just realized that I applied online, through “housing connect”, there no application, just name and address..
I am confused, should I continue the prosses, pay $200!?
Maybe in years, when my number come up(#1**) number of family members will change!?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:24 AM

Hi Cherryweel,

You should receive a congratulations letter for the waitlist with an attached application. But its up to you on applying when your family composite doesn't qualify.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I waited 16 years and got sick of waiting so I wrote, asking for my money back ($150 of the $200.) By return mail I got a letter setting up a home visit. They had skipped over us by about 20 numbers.

So then they showed us a dump over the garbage room and we said no (bugs) and we were told "that is that" It was pretty clear that they did not want us. But then they replied a couple months later with a suitable (sort of) unit and we moved.

The apartment is less than what we had in NJ, but it is cheaper and more conveniently located for our needs (93rd and Third.)

I am still ambivalent about our choice but they will carry me out with a toe-tag. Moving eats it on a stick.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:44 PM

Did anyone receive a confirmation letter about $200 payment!?
I applied for Washington sq se, my log number mid 100.
I got a letter with congrats and request to pay.
I replied with money order, but never get back from them.
I think they should send a confirmation letter

Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 AM

Hi Cherryweel,

I went in person to drop off my application so I received copies of my application plus I have the us postal receipt to match to the money order I gave the mgmt. person. You may want to call the contact number on your congratulations letter to verify that your application with payment was received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery