Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:00 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,629,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I lived in NYC in the late '70's. Even then the subway was less than optimal. I can only imagine what it's like now.
But back then we had all the graffiti on the walls of the cars to decipher. They were like little puzzles that needed to be solved so we wouldn't notice when we were sitting in some tunnel between stops for 10-20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
However one thing that has changed over the years is more obese riders.

.. I can't read standing up and I have poor balance. Luckily they make chairs that fold that literally are no bigger than a medium sized umbrella, which I will be bringing onto the trains to give myself a seat when the trains go full on third world with no seating.
And when the train lurches forward on one of it's quick stops, I'll be cracking just like the other passengers.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Hmm, might have something to do with events earlier this week and the New York City marathon weekend.

But then again maybe not; suppose there could have been credible reports of threats posed by gremlins. Those little green men who wreck trains with di-a-bo-lick-al sab-oh-tay-gee (diabolical sabotage).
'Antifa Civil War' on November 4 Was Really Just a Few Protests Against Trump

Old 11-05-2017, 01:16 PM

15,514 posts, read 15,505,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I think MTA should declare state of emergency for subways. Subways are getting slower, delays are getting out of control
That's not what "emergency" means.

In fact, I'm sure many people would consider it a lot better than what it was a few decades ago.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:30 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,409,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
That's not what "emergency" means.

In fact, I'm sure many people would consider it a lot better than what it was a few decades ago.
Some people just love complaining

Old 11-05-2017, 02:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,859,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
We must fix suburban white America and send jobs to suburban white America so that less and less college educated white people won't move to nyc after college.
Believe it or not, much of suburban white American is fine and many of them don't move to NYC, and certainly not long term.

I think illegal immigration and lack of enforcement of occupancy laws are much bigger factors in the outrageous rents. That and they substantially weakened the rent stabilization laws. Neighborhoods with little to no gentrification have comparatively high rents.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:39 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,839,033 times
Yup. You can find cheap rents in Queens and the Bronx, but you will be sharing a basement with 4 other creepy men and woimen who look at you like a Zombie movie.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,859,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
This is silly, there are way more people coming here from developing countries than there are white people from other states.

And NYC isn't the only city in America believe it or not, many if not most of the white transplants are from urban areas. Well, if you count LA aa urban.
For the most part white people aren't that interested in NYC outside of a few areas.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,963,555 times
What has caused the subway in NYC to degrade itself over the years are.

1. The subway system is not designed to handle a population of 8 million people.
2. Technology of the system is outdated by a few decades.
3. A lack of updates on technology to enhance system.
4. Rome declined for using old and outdated technology and the MTA is no different. Their needs to be better information to push notification on subway closures, train reroutes and delays.
5. No one did not expect 1 million or more suburban mainly white millennials waving college degrees to move to NYC during the past decade or so. Due to lack of durf jobs in suburban white America, millions of educated suburbanites uprooted themselves from suburbia and moved to cities like DC, NYC, SF for jobs, thus plaguing transit, and housing prices in these cities.
6. Increased immigrants are another cause for MTA woes.
7. Incrased homelessness are rampant on the subway.
8. More and more teens are riding the subway to school, thus creating delays with school fights on the train, or criminal mischief/destruction of property.
9. Poor NYC/NY state labor laws for employees. When an employee rides the train sick, this slows down everyone. Employers should be billed for having sick passengers riding the train to work. Employers must let workers know, if you are sick don't come into work. Not due to the fact making other workers sick, but your sickness can delay thousands of people who ride the train.
10. An aging system, that needs 50 years of upgrades.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:25 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,598,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
We must fix suburban white America and send jobs to suburban white America so that less and less college educated white people won't move to nyc after college.
Then NY's economy and tax base will crater. NYC's welfare state is built off of gentrification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City