Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 11:01 AM

12,751 posts, read 8,221,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgrrl View Post
Not true. I have a degree in Political Science and have managed to find good jobs in NYC.
Cannot fathom how anyone hired him in HR given his horrendous grammar skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 11:18 AM

14,022 posts, read 13,838,474 times
Engineering, Medical, Business Financial, Technology and Computers related degrees is best right now to get.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,988,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Im not going to edit my grammar while posting from a mobile phone. Any way, your a grammar nazi that sleeps with a Dominican blow-up doll.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:41 PM

8,654 posts, read 11,032,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post

Non-profits are extremely profitable for the founders and executive management though. They get paid very well while everyone else gets underpaid and selling the "we don't do this for the money" really helps them get richer.
Not always. Many don't bank roll a lot.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:49 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,330,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
if everyone had that attitude, non profit would fall off the cliff. Some people out there actually love working in the non profit world. Its not always about the bucks
That's why many of them marry someone wealthier.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im not going to edit my grammar while posting from a mobile phone. Any way, your a grammar nazi that sleeps with a Dominican blow-up doll.
Thatta boy... When one's grammar sucks, just blame it on your phone...

Old 11-11-2017, 04:24 PM

108 posts, read 81,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBronxite2 View Post
I have a Bachelors in Business Administration with a concentration in HR management.

My current salary is $42,000 but I feel that's really not much living in this city.
Has a bachelor degree and still makes around $20/h, I'm not making fun of you or anything just trying to emphasize on the time, effort, and money poured into a degree that should start you off in a supervisor position. It's not really hard to get a job around the city, it really depends if you have the patience to wait to get the job, e.g., "city jobs."
I'm not familiar with HR and really cant contribute much to this thread aside from recommending you to test it out yourself and go to websites like monster/indeed and apply for 100's of jobs with your qualification? 17% of these jobs should at "least" call you back.
The other best choice is sucking it up for another couple of years and getting/improving more/your experience/skills until you can hit a higher position that pays more.

Last edited by SaltyPenguin; 11-11-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 11-11-2017, 04:30 PM

108 posts, read 81,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I work as an hiring Coordinator for thr company I work with. I came across a well talented individual who graduated from Pennsylvania University which is an ivy league school. Even this guy could not find a job and he is willing to do temp. And another who went to Columbia and could she too could not find a job. The Penn state grad graduated with a degree in poltical science, while the Columbia grad graduated on language studies. These degrees are worthless in NYC. I told the Pennsylvania state grad to look at jobs in DC. DC is a better fit for folks who have degrees in poltical science to criminal justice. If not DC check your state Capitol. Language studies? Who is going to hire that. I myself had to build up my skillset in the past year to look more marketable.
Doubt these degrees are worthless depending where you apply them, those graduates could probably get a job in some company such as real estate, starbucks, magazines, radio, etc..

Old 11-11-2017, 04:50 PM

31,761 posts, read 26,706,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

*Please*

Have worked on Wall Street/ with traders and or areas like real estate with guys pulling three large per (if not more) who have worse grammar.

Just so you know historically having great English grammar/usage skills was *NOT* required for all sorts of careers/jobs, including some of the most highest paid/respected.

This goes for civil service as well; know plenty of higher ups in FDNY, DSNY, NYPD that not only speak with heavy "NYC" accents but pretty much write the same way. Reading an unedited version of a report from one of these guys would likely be comical to some of you; happily for them someone else cleans things up for them. However watch CUNY or NYCGov public access channels when these guys testify or whatever before the city council.

Correcting English grammar and so forth is what you paid secretaries to do; it is why girls (and some guys) with degrees in English Lit were always being hired as secretaries, personal assistants, Gal Fridays an so forth. That and also editors, which explains why that field was or is overrun with females.

In any company or business back in the day all applicants for secretarial jobs were given grammar/English tests besides the standard typing and steno.

An executive or whatever simply dictated or wrote down and outline; the secretaries were ones who did things up correcting spelling, grammar and usage where needed.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
*Please*

Have worked on Wall Street/ with traders and or areas like real estate with guys pulling three large per (if not more) who have worse grammar.

Just so you know historically having great English grammar/usage skills was *NOT* required for all sorts of careers/jobs, including some of the most highest paid/respected.

This goes for civil service as well; know plenty of higher ups in FDNY, DSNY, NYPD that not only speak with heavy "NYC" accents but pretty much write the same way. Reading an unedited version of a report from one of these guys would likely be comical to some of you; happily for them someone else cleans things up for them. However watch CUNY or NYCGov public access channels when these guys testify or whatever before the city council.

Correcting English grammar and so forth is what you paid secretaries to do; it is why girls (and some guys) with degrees in English Lit were always being hired as secretaries, personal assistants, Gal Fridays an so forth. That and also editors, which explains why that field was or is overrun with females.

In any company or business back in the day all applicants for secretarial jobs were given grammar/English tests besides the standard typing and steno.

An executive or whatever simply dictated or wrote down and outline; the secretaries were ones who did things up correcting spelling, grammar and usage where needed.
That was then. This is *now*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: