Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 04:41 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,677 times

Advertisements

Blasios envious of the homeless situation in San Francisco and is looking to outdo them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 05:02 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times
It is NOT the city's civic duty to house anybody and everyone. Again, the welfare state is out of control. If You go to de blasio's Facebook page, every other post is criticizing trump's agenda. I think a centrist democrat would even take issue to the constant criticism. He isn't in the position to bash trump as a mayor. He's just preaching to the choir! I really loathe trump but de blasio is just too much of a leftist.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:18 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
It is NOT the city's civic duty to house anybody and everyone. Again, the welfare state is out of control. If You go to de blasio's Facebook page, every other post is criticizing trump's agenda. I think a centrist democrat would even take issue to the constant criticism. He isn't in the position to bash trump as a mayor. He's just preaching to the choir! I really loathe trump but de blasio is just too much of a leftist.
Unfortunately it actually is! Unless legislation or laws change, "New York City has a right to shelter, established by litigation brought by the Legal Aid Society and the Coalition for the Homeless. This law compels the city to provide shelter to New Yorkers who are homeless by “reason of physical, mental or social dysfunction.”

You can read on The Callahan Legacy: Callahan v. Carey and the Legal Right to Shelter and learn more about how this came about.

I wish the city would do a real poll to show the percentage of these homeless people are not even New Yorkers. Bet laws would change then!

Old 11-09-2017, 05:25 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
Like those two drug-addled scrubs from Michigan who moved here with their two children EXPLICITLY to get free housing and then both their babies died in a horrible radiator accident. There was a huge article about them with quotes from their parents saying they would have let them in their homes they didn't NEED to come to nyc but that they KNEW they could work the system, and they clearly did and paid dearly for it. I wouldn't be shocked if they are currently in litigation to sue the city for 20 million dollars for allowing their babies to die :/

Old 11-09-2017, 05:28 PM

When did the right to shelter law come into effect? My biological mother who died in 2006 at 47 years old was living in the bronx for quite some time and then became homeless and never found shelter. I only recently found out where they buried her, in a potter's grave on Long Island! Not sure if it was a potter's grave since it was a real cemetary, but no one paid for her burial or plot. I guess the city did? I didn't find out she died until 2009 as she was estranged from everyone in our family, but now my entire family is dead as well and something tells me when it's my turn to become homeless (i can feel it in my bones...) this law is going to get redacted :/ Life's funny that way.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:33 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
When did the right to shelter law come into effect? My biological mother who died in 2006 at 47 years old was living in the bronx for quite some time and then became homeless and never found shelter. I only recently found out where they buried her, in a potter's grave on Long Island! Not sure if it was a potter's grave since it was a real cemetary, but no one paid for her burial or plot. I guess the city did? I didn't find out she died until 2009 as she was estranged from everyone in our family, but now my entire family is dead as well and something tells me when it's my turn to become homeless (i can feel it in my bones...) this law is going to get redacted :/ Life's funny that way.

It went into effect in 1989 http://www.coalitionforthehomeless.o...sentDecree.pdf

You won't be homeless, unless by choice. You know the system well enough to make it through!

Old 11-09-2017, 05:34 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times
I doubt the city would fish out to a lawsuit from another state. It was the junkie's fault and it is sickening that the kids died but that's the way it goes

Old 11-09-2017, 05:41 PM

quote:
You won't be homeless, unless by choice. You know the system well enough to make it through!

Ha. I guess there's that I doubt i'd last one night in a shelter to be honest. Or i'd suddenly make a ton of BFF's, I could see it going either way, but I wish it not upon myself or anyone else. It's just the older one gets and the fewer social connections one has, especially if they are single and childless, the scarier it gets, at least here in nyc. maybe it's different elsewhere?

Old 11-09-2017, 05:45 PM

quote:
It went into effect in 1989 http://www.coalitionforthehomeless.o...sentDecree.pdf

Wow, didn't realize it was that far back. My mother was in methadone programs from as far back as I can remember as a kid. Hells she used to take me on the bus into port authority to score drugs, but she was also in methadone programs and i don't know if it was jersey or in manhattan, but she would take me and dump me on the street and go score in what i believe to be hells kitchen (oddly some of my favorite memories as a kid was playing in open fire hydrants).

Old 11-09-2017, 09:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Like those two drug-addled scrubs from Michigan who moved here with their two children EXPLICITLY to get free housing and then both their babies died in a horrible radiator accident. There was a huge article about them with quotes from their parents saying they would have let them in their homes they didn't NEED to come to nyc but that they KNEW they could work the system,
This part of the story made a big impression on me as well! I suspect there are lots more just like them, swarming in from everywhere, expecting to be housed for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City