Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:54 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
agree signaling is #1 but most of the system has new rolling stock and the old ones are already on plan for phase out. Those open gangways will be a problem because under deblasio most trains have one car where a homeless person defecated and vomited everywhere and the unbearable stench will no longer be contained to that car.

Platform doors IMO are a colossal waste of money and although commuter rail has its issues, the focus has to be on the subway system so I am not at all concerned with Penn Station or upstate rail.

The "sick passengers" have to be dealt with better. Those useless platform controllers that wave their flashlights like idiots should instead be tasked with pulling sick passengers off the train so service can resume.
Right, signalling and new rolling stock is happening, I just think they need to be accelerated.

Open gangways will be a unique problem for NYC in having to come up with ways to deal with it, but the capacity increase and ability to realign people between packed and super packed cars is worth it; the city will just need to find a way to deal with it. It’ll also limit the possibility of idiots to throw trash out or to fall overboard.

Platform doors are a solution that work elsewhere—but they aren’t doable until there’s better signaling. For packed and frequented platforms they limit the ability for trash to get on to the tracks and people to fall in, both of which are major sources of delays and service interruptions. They also allow trains to enter the stations faster.

I get where you’re coming from as someone who lives in NYC in terms of prioritizing funding for commuter rail, but I think it’s the most rational response for the ills of the system in a few ways. Peak hours are when the largest issues arise and a large part of that is because during peak hours, hundreds of thousands of people, nearing a million, from the suburbs enter the system and most of them pour into the subway system along a few choke points. Of course that’s going to be a cluster****. Improvements to the commuter rail system should prioritize connecting the different terminals in the city core and adding a few intermediate stations so that far more of these people can opt to stay out of the subway system altogether or to transfer to other lines not currently connected to the commuter rail stations and ride the subway for shorter lengths effectively freeing up capacity for city residents and relieving crowding and lowering the chance of delays. As a bonus, if the city does even remotely reasonable fare card integration, then the through-running and interlined commuter rail sections in the city end up having far more utility to city residents as another rapid transit express line. I’ve ridden various commuter rail lines and they are seldom standing room only. The suburbanites still get their seats because they are first to get on and last to get off, so they don’t lose much there, and the through-running means a massive capcity increase through greater frequency and more branches/extensions is possible so the trade-off is good for city and suburban counties. That’s important because MTA is still a state organization and having a solution that very directly benefits both greatly increases its ability to be pushed through.

On a macroeconomic level, the fact is that NYC and some of its suburban counties pay the lion's share in state tax revenue and much of that is distributed elsewhere. Some upstate cities and regions are getting their act together and not just sitting down waiting for the slump to keep going, but obviously that's uneven. The Catskills and the west side of the Hudson Valley can become net or at least neutral tax expenditure vs receipt counties if the economic engine of NYC is extended to them through better transit connection. That and more train services to interline on the through-running core for city residents to use as rapid transit (since this regional express rail kind of system more closely aligns city and suburb interests) are benefits to city residents.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-16-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 12:01 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
speak for yourself, I was born in Brooklyn
And that means what? Did you choose Brooklyn as a birthplace?

Old 11-16-2017, 12:02 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,068,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
NYC will never have those ski lift things. We are not orderly enough.
I imagine this scenario. People pushing each off to their deaths. Fun times.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:14 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Actually, underinvestment might be good in the long run -- de-gentrification. More subway maintenance issues may lead to less transplants coming here thus increasing Aquarius' chance of strike housing lottery gold.

I'm seeing an uptick of beggars but I'm disappointed more of them aren't on the subways. We need more artistes to use the subway as their canvass. I miss hearing the latest music on the train; boombox was then, bluetooth is now.
Thanks to Uber/Lyft and Airbnb. If Uber flying cars get approve in NYC it over for MTA.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:28 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times
The mta should not be focusing on renovating stations. I'd rather deal with a dark and Dank station that has a concrete platform instead of those stupid tiles and wasteful ugly art. People want to get from point A to B. It's simple. What was the reasoning behind renovating those stations on the R line near bay ridge ? It's maddening where the MTA's priorities are. Are they on drugs ?

Last edited by Midwesterns45; 11-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 11-16-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Thanks to Uber/Lyft and Airbnb. If Uber flying cars get approve in NYC it over for MTA.
Uber Flying Cars? They haven't rolled out the self driving uber cars nationwide. They are not doing Uber Flying Cars in 2020. That is reality.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Actually, underinvestment might be good in the long run -- de-gentrification. More subway maintenance issues may lead to less transplants coming here thus increasing Aquarius' chance of strike housing lottery gold.

I'm seeing an uptick of beggars but I'm disappointed more of them aren't on the subways. We need more artistes to use the subway as their canvass. I miss hearing the latest music on the train; boombox was then, bluetooth is now.
Under-investment...Yeah, that is a great idea. How about uptick in violent crime too?? Or better yet a major terrorist attack??

Old 11-16-2017, 12:49 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
It's actually via that's competing most with the subway. For a couple bucks you can get uptown in a clean car

Old 11-16-2017, 12:56 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
NYC will never have those ski lift things. We are not orderly enough.
Or thin enough.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's actually via that's competing most with the subway. For a couple bucks you can get uptown in a clean car
VIA is pretty nice. The cars are usually SUVs or big size. It's $14.00 from Canal to the GWB Port Authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City