U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 02:22 PM

11,445 posts, read 9,528,668 times

Advertisements

[quote=Stylo;50189817]Dogfish was one of the first breweries to popularize the IPA, but others refined it. Try one of those, and you’ll be blown away. Maine Lunch IPA and Alchemist Heady Topper are my favorites. And for easier to find beers, Lawson’s Sip of Sunshine is wonderful.

Treehouse in Mass is great but you can’t find it outside the brewery AFAIK. Same with Hillstead Farm, and Alchemist is only available in northern VT generally.

If you’re ever in CT, some IPA’s to check out: Beer’d, Kent Falls, Back East, Fox Farm, Counter Weight, New England (Fuzzy Baby Ducks or G-Bot). Even Stamford has a good brewery now, Lock City. Two Roads isn’t necessarily the best, but the brewery is impressive and a great place to visit. They actually contract brew for a lot of others, including Lawson’s.[/QUOTE

Dogfish Head is a classic, much more interesting to me than the hop bomb IPAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
This is true. They 'ironically' like to drink cheap beer pissy beer. Let's not forget the classic PBR...which might just be the worst beer I've ever tasted next to Rolling Rock.
Interestingly, I don"t really see any hipster bars serve PBR. Miller High Life and Tecate are the hipster beers of choics now. They drink that stuff either because it's cheap, or like most Americans, don't really know anything about beer and just go for pale lagers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 PM

30,340 posts, read 43,611,437 times
https://www.yelp.com/biz/valhalla-new-york

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 PM

20,426 posts, read 25,392,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

Dogfish Head is a classic, much more interesting to me than the hop bomb IPAs
Maine Lunch, my personal favorite, is no hop bomb. It’s incredibly drinkable and smooth. I like Dogfish, but it’s bitter in comparison.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:44 PM

343 posts, read 231,660 times
There is no craft beer in Manhattan. We don't brew no beer. It takes too long to drink. It costs too much to drink. It tastes too weird. The water here isn't the right pH. Its too heavy to carry home. Its too many bottles. Its too hoppy. Its too sugary. Its too slow. Too expensive.

Go to Brooklyn for ironic "craftiness". There's a reason all the legendary brewers are buried in Brooklyn:

Old 11-22-2017, 07:14 AM

782 posts, read 476,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's great, and I'll go there, but I guess it's frustrating that even most "cool" bars have such poor selections and these specialized beer bars are kind of rare. Whereas locally, even hum drum bars have better beers.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it's going to be on my next crawl.
Perhaps you haven’t been going to “cool” places after all? I think one common misconception about NYC is that one should be able to drop in any restaurant/bar and expect to find a good version of whatever food/drink. Whereas in reality, most places are mediocre and serve customers who don’t care or know better. You usually have to do a little research to find the good places.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:07 AM

24,780 posts, read 34,782,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
The way I see it is beer just takes too long for Manhattan. We drink vodka and hard liquor in Manhattan. Or wine.

I don't like beer. It's too filling and "craft" beer is pretentious. Just order a Guinness, or stick your nose up in the air and go to north Brooklyn

I'm with you FS. Martinis, Mahattans, wine (Malbec.) With beer it is drunk at home, ice cold in Summer. Current fave...Coor's Banquet: $1.79/24 ounce can at Cherry Valley.
Craft beer is for the nouveau bourgeoisie, locally known as hipsters.

I am too calorie conscious for much beer drinking so one big can is enough.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:57 AM

12,283 posts, read 6,967,499 times
Having lived in Europe, drink *a lot* of strong Belgian and German beers that are quite expensive drinking out and at home, and frequent some places that have a decent amount of craft beer as well. Am a fan of this place that is ironically for the OP in Midtown:

*The Ginger Man*

The Ginger Man | New York City

When Duvel Green first became available in the U.S., went on a rampage trying to find bars that had the stuff on tap, and the Ginger Man did, so that was the main reason I went there, but their beer selection is impressive and I lingered quite a while drinking some of my other favorites. Spent well over $50 - 60 just for beers and a few snacks there but it was worth it.

The OP should know that craft beers are expensive, and with rents being what they are in NYC, a lot of people are not going to shell out $10 - 14 per beer. I frequent quite a few places that sell beers like Chimay Blue, Rochefort (6, 8 and 10), Duvel, Piraat, and so on, and am fine paying up to $15 per beer because I know the process that is involved and also know that some of the craft beers are not made in large quantities (Rochefort 10 comes to mind - it is made by monks in small batches to support themselves and you can only find the stuff in singles due to the high price tag). Many are not, and I suspect that's one of the reasons for the issues you're having. Can recommend some other places as well like *Markt* in Chelsea, but you may not be into Belgian beer like I am. Go to the place a few times a year, not so much for the food though I do like Belgian cuisine a lot, but moreso because of their great beer selection. Another place that was really good was *Café de Bruxelles*. That place closed several years ago when the owner decided to retire, but they had an ample Belgian beer selection and *excellent* mussels and pommes frites.

Personally recommend you finding a few good beer spots, going to them and drinking your craft beers at home. When I don't want to spend $50 - 60 out drinking, I buy a big bottle of say Gulden Draak, Chimay Blue or Piraat or some singles of Rochefort 10 or Duvel, and am a happy man. You can get more beer and really get a sample of what you like. I don't abuse beer. I appreciate craft beer and since the ones I like usually have very high alcohol content, only drink a few at a time anyway. Two of those Duvel singles will sneak up on you before you know it.

Someone else recommended that place on the Upper East Side (City Swaggers). Have been there before for some of my favs. Personally found the prices a bit higher than what I normally pay and a lot of the beer I drink wasn't refrigerated. The Whole Foods down by Houston Street used to have a whole beer area that has since become a café, but believe they still carry a decent selection in the main market. The Whole Foods by Columbus Circle does a decent job too. Outside of that if you're looking for bars, would definitely recommend checking out places on the Lower East Side. Have been several bars over the years whose names escape at the time (was too hammered to know where I was *lol*) but if I remember them, will put them up here.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 11-22-2017 at 11:12 AM..

Old 11-22-2017, 11:21 AM

20,426 posts, read 25,392,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I'm with you FS. Martinis, Mahattans, wine (Malbec.) With beer it is drunk at home, ice cold in Summer. Current fave...Coor's Banquet: $1.79/24 ounce can at Cherry Valley.
Craft beer is for the nouveau bourgeoisie, locally known as hipsters.

I am too calorie conscious for much beer drinking so one big can is enough.
That’s why craft beer lovers make the calories count and drink something of quality, not Coors crap.

The hipster/craft connection is just not that prevalent. Go to a good brewery and you’ll find lots of “normal” folk. Generalizations like that just makes one sound out of touch.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
That’s why craft beer lovers make the calories count and drink something of quality, not Coors crap.

The hipster/craft connection is just not that prevalent. Go to a good brewery and you’ll find lots of “normal” folk. Generalizations like that just makes one sound out of touch.
Am in agreement. Most who like craft beers don't drink themselves into oblivion. Drink on occasion, and do not have a beer gut or anything of the sort. Some beers are like fine wine. They are aged and taste better and better with time.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Are you not a fan of The Ginger Man? You said you went there and that there's a place like that in CT, but offered no other feed back?? Personally do not know of that many people into craft beer like we are. All of my friends drink, but they don't drink what I drink. Lucky if they drink a few Dutch beers that aren't Heineken or Amstel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City