U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2017, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 839 times

Advertisements

I'm currently starting business classes at Lehman right now. Baruch would be ideal if I can get in. I will try and transfer there for Spring 2019. But I really want to hear the truth about Lehman's accounting program firsthand. I did a search on Linkedin for Accounting grads and CPAs who went to Lehman for their degree and I see some of them listing companies like KPMG and Deloitte plus some private companies too.

Surely, there must be some people here that went to Lehman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 08:51 AM

706 posts, read 343,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax79818515 View Post
I'm currently starting business classes at Lehman right now. Baruch would be ideal if I can get in. I will try and transfer there for Spring 2019. But I really want to hear the truth about Lehman's accounting program firsthand. I did a search on Linkedin for Accounting grads and CPAs who went to Lehman for their degree and I see some of them listing companies like KPMG and Deloitte plus some private companies too.

Surely, there must be some people here that went to Lehman?
I used to work at Lehman -- won't say where since I don't wanna dox myself but while I never dealt with the Department of Accounting, I do know that Baruch is definitely the much better brand of B.A. by far as you already know...however, any of CUNY's programs will do -- in the end, it's up to the "engine," not the bicycle, as racers would say; you yourself can go a much longer way, usually, than even an alumni network....

Good luck counting beans!

Old 11-24-2017, 11:26 PM

10,935 posts, read 9,357,857 times
I'm not an accountant, but I always got the impression was the main thing that was important was getting the CPA. Having or not having that is more important than where your degree came from.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:26 AM

3,594 posts, read 3,086,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm not an accountant, but I always got the impression was the main thing that was important was getting the CPA. Having or not having that is more important than where your degree came from.
That's right. Top the CPA with an MBA from the Wharton School and you'll have it "made in the shade."

Old 11-25-2017, 11:54 AM

10,935 posts, read 9,357,857 times
The sort of flip side is that with a degree from one of the city colleges, and a CPA, you'll still do pretty well. Layer a decent graduate degree on top of that, and you'd likely do very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
That's right. Top the CPA with an MBA from the Wharton School and you'll have it "made in the shade."

Old 11-25-2017, 05:31 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,956,245 times
Try to aim for 4.0gpa or close to 3.5 in Lehman College with all courses, then apply for transfer to Baruch. Most accounting course in the beginning are pretty much the same, is all about the professor. Lehman and Baruch are all under CUNY, so you might be able to transfer some same accounting course without having to retake the course again.

Old Today, 09:35 AM

1 posts
As a graduate of Lehman College, their Business and Economics programs are very good at gaining knowledge.

For marketability. I agree with previous responders: Get your CPA and then add an MBA (Optional) from a renowned grad school. And yes for branding and marketability Baruch is ranked tops for Business and Accounting among CUNY and SUNY and even among some top branded schools.

Good luck. Start at Lehman and branch out to the best that your money can buy. Remember aim for a 4.0/4.0 GPA from Lehman to make transitions easier. You got this!

Old Today, 02:32 PM

145 posts, read 62,250 times
Lehman is fine if you're planning on getting your CPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or