U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 09:47 PM

24 posts, read 196,780 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

2 friends and I will be moving to the NYC area because of jobs we have recently landed. We know the area in general (from Bronx, CT and LI), but are trying to find the right fit in terms of commute and quality of life. My friend and I will be working in Weehawken, NJ while our other friend will be working in Midtown.

We were all learning towards something like Hoboken because it gives us commuting options such as Light Rail and PATH, but I was wondering if there are any other areas particularly in Manhattan/Queens/Bronx that you would recommend. I'm from Long Island and I would still like to visit and be with people there (softball, etc..), but I know that living in Jersey can add tons of time to that thanks to this place called Manhattan. Anyways, my question is are there are good areas to reside in, in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn that are commutable to Weehawken, NJ. Everything's commutable I know, but I'm looking at it in terms of convenience. I knew there was a helpful website that shows you what subway stops to take to get from point a to point b etc. but I forgot it. Anyways, thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,030,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheRhetoric View Post
I knew there was a helpful website that shows you what subway stops to take to get from point a to point b etc. but I forgot it.
HopStop.com - Subway Directions and Bus Directions for New York City (NYC)

MTA NYC Transit - Trip Planner

Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 PM

Hopstop! Yes, that was the website I was looking for. Man the commute from Brooklyn is like an hour...not horrible, but that was basically my commute from LI into Manhattan for an internship I had. Is there anyway for this Hopstop to consider the NY Ferry service in the route (there's an 8 min ferry that runs from midtown to Weehawken)

Old 03-20-2008, 08:36 AM

2,954 posts, read 11,042,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheRhetoric View Post
Hello all,

2 friends and I will be moving to the NYC area because of jobs we have recently landed. We know the area in general (from Bronx, CT and LI), but are trying to find the right fit in terms of commute and quality of life. My friend and I will be working in Weehawken, NJ while our other friend will be working in Midtown.

We were all learning towards something like Hoboken because it gives us commuting options such as Light Rail and PATH, but I was wondering if there are any other areas particularly in Manhattan/Queens/Bronx that you would recommend. I'm from Long Island and I would still like to visit and be with people there (softball, etc..), but I know that living in Jersey can add tons of time to that thanks to this place called Manhattan. Anyways, my question is are there are good areas to reside in, in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn that are commutable to Weehawken, NJ. Everything's commutable I know, but I'm looking at it in terms of convenience. I knew there was a helpful website that shows you what subway stops to take to get from point a to point b etc. but I forgot it. Anyways, thanks for your help.
There are options along the 7 train in Manhattan and Queens. In Manhattan the 7 runs along 42nd St. From Vernon-Jackson it's three stops to Times Square, where there is a free shuttle bus to the Weehawken ferry at 39th St and 12th Av. It is quick to midtown, short ride on one train to anywhere near 42nd St with easy transfers available to the 4,5,6,B,D,F,V,N,R,W,Q,1,2,3,A,C, and E if you need to go to the 30s or 50s. Going the other direction the 7 takes you to 61 St/Woodside where there is an LIRR station.

Last edited by holden125; 03-20-2008 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: misspoke

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM

2,898 posts, read 8,601,325 times
Your best bet, not considering the cost, would be midtown on the west side, 7th
Avenue going west toward the river, 34th St. to 42nd---lost of new buildings in the area. Hell's Kitchen is the general area. You'd have access to Penn Station where you can get trains to L.I., as well as to New Jersey. You also have access to the Port Authority Bus station, where you can catch commuter buses to all parts of New Jersey.

Hoboken would be cheaper, as well as being relatively easy to commute to L.I. Just take the Path train from Hoboken to Penn Station, and change to the Long Island Railroad. Simple and not too time consuming. Weekhauken (sp?) is a very short ride either by bus or car.

Either location, I'd let rental cost be the determining factor.

Luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:58 PM

Midtown (Hell's Kitchen area) would be great, but I've found it to be more expensive then say the East Village (Alphabet Village area). Anyways, I'll keep a look out for it!

And yes while the train commute from Hoboken to LI wouldn't be bad I would most likely use a car if I lived in Jersey and driving through Manhattan takes a good amount of time mid day.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM

2,898 posts, read 8,601,325 times
Hmmmm, haven't spent time in Hoboken in awhile, but my recollection is that parking is an issue! So you might want to re-think keeping a car. Hoboken has EXCELLENT public transportation. Bus to Weekhauken (sp?) is easy---probably runs down Washington Street; buses into Port Authority are more than plentiful; and, of course the Path is in most cases just a short walk (maybe bus then walk).

Alphabet **City** which, technically is part of the **East** Village (gotta get it right if you're going to be part of my city!!), does not have good transportation---though, yes, its less expensive. Very trendy though. Be careful, you will need *some* street smarts over there.

>>>driving thru Manhattan....<<<

You take the Lincoln Tunnel don't you? Not good mid-day.
Better to take either the Hudson Tunnel to the West Side Highway and then the Battery Tunnel into Brooklyn, where you can get to the BQE or the Belt Parkway (depending on where on L.I. you're headed).

The other way, perhaps best, would be to make your way to the G.W. Bridge and then to the Triborough Bridge which will put you directly to the Grand Central.

Here's a tip, after coming through either Tunnel, you can take the West Side Highway all the way around the tip of Manhattan which will put you onto the FDR Drive. Getting to the Triborough is really the fastest way---however you get there.

Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City