Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 05:37 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I too am troubled by the attitude by some on what is supposed to be a “relocation” forum. Some people come here to get info on neighborhoods in which they are not familiar. If everyone is just supposed to “know” or “have street smarts” or “be a native”, then what’s the point of this board?

And frankly some of the native New Yorkers here are the worst when it comes to passing along dated info or relying on preconceived notions. Just because you were “born and raised” here doesn’t mean you know everything.
I totally agree. Being a native doesn't automatically give you knowledge on all things NYC, especially if you don't leave your neighborhood very often.

Another annoying thing is when some posters act like my opinion is invalid. If I lived in Suffolk County and didn't go to NYC ever except to see Billy Joel concerts and Ranger Games, that would be true. However I live 7 miles from NYC, work in Queens, am in Brooklyn or Manhattan very often on weekends. I even lived in Brooklyn at one point. But I won't pretend to be an expert on any neighborhood I'm not familiar with, such as Mariner's Harbor or Bayside.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:10 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
First paragraph: Refer to my original question. We are talking about safety and comfort level in neighborhoods for everybody. not just women, we're talking about everybody. #metoo all you want to in another thread, no disrespect, but it's a completely different topic in here.

Second paragraph: Oh, so working class people's opinions suck now? So go ask a 1%er then, how many different neighborhoods in NYC do they go to???
That's a privileges remark because almost ALL women feel less safe in any given situation than a man. And that threshold can make or break the situation.

Second paragraph: I'm just pointing out that the scope of opinion is pretty narrow and a lot of the points of views are tell tale markers of that. It shows a kind of out of touch, in some things that is distinctive. All economic groups have their Achilles.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Plenty of women cannot act all prissy about where they live. The minimum wage lack woman or the immigrant who does t speak English well and who is poor will have to take what they can get. So you might check your white woman privilege before you accuse Pierre of having make privilege.

Your statements about safety might even be offensive to women from these neighborhoods who may not appreciate their sons, fathers, husbands, brothers, nephews, uncles, and cousins being stereotyped as sex offenders.
My statements about safety are from a women who grew up in one of the poorest MOST GHETTO areas of Manhattan and got to experience this crap starting at 6 years old. So regardless of having a choice or NOT, it's a f'n issue that we women understand and are in solidarity about. But of course you made an assumption that I'm a white woman and so I never had that experience. If anything, it was more trying because I stuck out like a sore thumb which made me exotic in a polite way, or a target if I want to be more precise. So again, check your male privilege.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
A lot of people don't even use Bronx's neighborhood names. I went on a tinder date with a girl who lived in Mott Haven her whole life and she didn't even seem to know what Mott Haven is.

I know a girl from The Bronx who has only been to Brooklyn and Queens 1 or 2 times each, and she's in her 20s. She's not a native, but she immigrated here when she was a little girl.
I believe it. We only went to the Bronx to go to the Gardens or the Zoo. I can't think of any other reason why we went there. We didn't know anyone who lived there, we didn't work in it. Same goes for most boroughs outside of Manhattan. Knock on wood; this is a very large city.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:05 PM

34,089 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
That's a privileges remark because almost ALL women feel less safe in any given situation than a man. And that threshold can make or break the situation.

Second paragraph: I'm just pointing out that the scope of opinion is pretty narrow and a lot of the points of views are tell tale markers of that. It shows a kind of out of touch, in some things that is distinctive. All economic groups have their Achilles.
Not even. Think about it, this is a relocation forum. People are basically coming on here and asking us how we think they would feel living in a certain neighborhood. Nobody here is equipped to answer that. Then, when it doesn't work for them, they come lay on the C-D couch and tell us all about it.

That's the future of this city, whiny transplants?

Why wouldn't a native feel a way? Those squatters that slept in those cold water flats on Avenue B is the reason they're there now....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-17-2017, 09:09 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:

That's the future of this city, whiny transplants?
Rather hear them then people who act like there are they chosen ones cause their mom popped them out here.

Quote:
Those squatters that slept in those cold water flats on Avenue B is the reason they're there now....
You mean Madonna

Old 12-17-2017, 10:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:

You speak for all women?

All women are linked to your mind? Almost all women is still a massive generalization. I would never make a claim on how almost all Black men feel, or even how almost all gay men feel. I don’t k ow almost all Black men or almost all gay men. There’s no way for anyone to know how almost all people feel.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
My statements about safety are from a women who grew up in one of the poorest MOST GHETTO areas of Manhattan and got to experience this crap starting at 6 years old. So regardless of having a choice or NOT, it's a f'n issue that we women understand and are in solidarity about. But of course you made an assumption that I'm a white woman and so I never had that experience. If anything, it was more trying because I stuck out like a sore thumb which made me exotic in a polite way, or a target if I want to be more precise. So again, check your male privilege.
I’m gay, and considering that gays have been executed in mass due to being gay, denied employment and housing due to being gay, and not too long ago many people were jumping with joy as AIDS wipes out gay men, I’ll reject that gay men have make “male” privilege. Suicide rates among gay men are high due to rejection from family and often from society itself. So as a gay man to a woman, respectfully, you can place your “privilege” where the sun don’t shine and where the moon don’t rise.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:05 PM

34,089 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Rather hear them then people who act like there are they chosen ones cause their mom popped them out here.

You mean Madonna
No, don't say that. There was a time the city welcomed everybody with open arms, and it was so cool to learn different cultures in the five boroughs. Everybody came here, and busted their hump, and put down roots in the community.

I don't know what this is.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-18-2017, 05:53 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
I don't know about all that. For example, myself and 95% of men out there would never put a hand on a woman in a harmful way, but if a guy acts out of place... Even if a female goes overboard, if they are with a dude that is sitting there quietly, guess who I'm going after?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City